man utd

Iv had every champ manager/football realised and i have never managed Man Utd before until now & iv got to say it its probably the best save iv had

Im an Arsenal fan so i feel like im a traitor!

Do you peeps find it differcult to manage your teams rivals?

Iv had every champ manager/football realised and i have never managed Man Utd before until now & iv got to say it its probably the best save iv had

Would be even harder for me, Especially if it were everton.

you traitor! ;) tried managing rival teams but find it weird, unless I've started unemployed

Rivalries don't really come into it for me. It is just a game, after all. For example, as a Man Utd fan, I was happy to manage Chelsea a few years ago when they first came into all their money. It was fun spending it!

I've managed both Exeter & Torquay on FM11- Exeter wasn't too bad, but was a difficult save and I ****ed it up a lot. Torquay was great fun and I had success there- When managing a club in League Two or Below, I'll look out for their released players first. :D

I only ever play as my favorite team so....

I've never played as Liverpool or as Man City. I can't imagine playing as one of them.

Whenever I play against united I leave my personal feelings behind; as soon as the match starts its striclty business.

No. I've never tried it, I won't even consider it.

I couldn't work with teams like Man United and Tottenham as I don't necessarily like them and their players so I wouldn't want to push them to their best levels and try to make things better in the long term, onto the point of long term, I never play short saves, I personally manage one club over a career and won't move so staying at a rival club would be rubbish.

I can't relate to them or anything though, one of the things I love about playing as foreign teams and teams you don't usually play with is I can gain a love for that club and their players through FM and take much more interest in real life, if I was Man United I wouldn't get that exciting feeling of wanting to see more! To me they're my rivals and I shouldn't be playing as them, I find it weird tbh how people choose them over dozens of other teams.

Why Man United when you can be Barca :confused:

I'm a Manchester United fan and I always have a save with them-normally my first one. I usually carry on from the demo and get quite into it.

This year though I started a new save after the 11.3 patch came out as Nottingham Forest and I resigned to join Aston Villa (which took some serious consideration!) and I've been offered the Manchester City job three times in the save.

I've never taken it, and I never will.

I support Liverpool but hardly ever play as them because I know the club too well. Tbh I find it a bit boring managing the players i watch week in week out and I then often find myself using thier real life tactics instead of putting my own stamp on the team.

On my current save, I am actually managing Man U for the first time in ages, got to be since FM2007. Anyway, it is a lot harder than I was thinking, I was at AC Milan and Ferguson retired, so Man U offered me the job. Went in, a lot of the team moral was down due to Ferguson going, had to get the team used to my formations, get rid of the dead wood or promote them into coaching roles. First season was pretty poor with only two domestic trophies and finishing 5th in the league...doing a lot better this year, but it took some major investment and time to win the players over, I can see this being the situation in real life for who ever takes over from Ferguson.

Arsenal and Man Utd are not rivals.....

Tital Rivals, maybe... once.... not even that these days.....

Rivals is a locality thing......

so explain the rivalry between Rangers and Aberdeen, nothing to do with the location of either clubs at all. Rivalry is not specific to location at all, complete nonsense.

so explain the rivalry between Rangers and Aberdeen, nothing to do with the location of either clubs at all. Rivalry is not specific to location at all, complete nonsense.

No but the rivalry between Man Utd and Arsenal is exactly what people have been asking for in FM. Its a dynamic rivalry. Arsenal only became 'rivals' because of their title challenges. That rivalry will come and go. The real rivalries with teams like Man City, Liverpool and Leeds will not change no matter what league they are in or how good/bad they perform.

No but the rivalry between Man Utd and Arsenal is exactly what people have been asking for in FM. Its a dynamic rivalry. Arsenal only became 'rivals' because of their title challenges. That rivalry will come and go. The real rivalries with teams like Man City, Liverpool and Leeds will not change no matter what league they are in or how good/bad they perform.

completely beside the point, he said "rivalries is a locality thing" which is not true at all, rivalry is not limited to location.

completely beside the point, he said "rivalries is a locality thing" which is not true at all, rivalry is not limited to location.

Right ok so you look at a 3 line post and only concentrate on the last one? The first two lines are spot on. Shame it was spoilt by a wrong assumption.

TBF though in FM it does list Bolton and Blackburn as local rivals, which is a load of tosh. Blackburn was what you would call a dynamic rivalry because of their title challenges. Not anywhere near rivals any more. Same for Newcastle.

Well it depends who you are, some people regard Arsenal vs Man U as rivals game, it will be billed as such by Sky and anyone else showing the game. Just because Arsenal may not challenge for the title does not mean the rivalry between the two clubs has died, as an Arsenal fan a few posts above has shown.

Well it depends who you are, some people regard Arsenal vs Man U as rivals game, it will be billed as such by Sky and anyone else showing the game. Just because Arsenal may not challenge for the title does not mean the rivalry between the two clubs has died, as an Arsenal fan a few posts above has shown.

Well thats what im trying to say. At the moment Arsenal will still be classed as 'rivals' because of the recent history and the fact that Arsenal do tend to at least challenge in the league until they hit the inevitable Feb/March slump. They will continue to be classed as rivals until a team comes to replace them. And they are being shown on Sky because in many eyes they are still part of the 'top 4' and Sky aslways show the games between these teams regarless of rivalries. Are Chelsea and Man City 'rivals' because the games keep showing on Sky? Title rivals maybe but not what most would class as a rivalry. Again this would come under dynamic in FM terms.

I never said the games were on TV because of the rivalry, i said when Sky show the game they will bill it as a rival game. Also the rivalry between Arsenal and Man u is more to do with the history of games between the two clubs rather than because for a few seasons Arsenal were their main title rivals.

I never said the games were on TV because of the rivalry, i said when Sky show the game they will bill it as a rival game. Also the rivalry between Arsenal and Man u is more to do with the history of games between the two clubs rather than because for a few seasons Arsenal were their main title rivals.

If you look at Sky in recent years and their coverage of the Man Utd v Arsenal games, its becoming less Utd v Arsenal and more Ferguson v Wenger.

Again that just shows there is more to that rivalry than just two teams competing for the title, there is history, before it was players like Viera and Keane, now its more focused on the two managers.

So what happens when Fergie or Wenger goes? The teams arent rivals on the pitch any more. Thats why its changed to the managers. And if Arsenal continue the way they are going, the only rivals they will have left will be Spurs, who are REAL rivals anyway.

Man U/ Arsenal will always be a rivalry because of what has happened, it may get less important after SAF and wenger are gone, or if Arsenal continue to struggle to mount a real title challenge, but it will never go away, at least not in the next 20 years.

Real rivals doesnt really mean anything, any rivalry is real, some more intense than the orders but not any more "real". Rangers/Aberdeen is a very intense rivalry in Scotland, we dont challenge them for the title, our managers dont fight (infact they get along very well) and there is no real battles player vs player, it all stems from one tackle over 20 years ago, it will NEVER go away now. People dont turn these things on and off. Hatred runs deep, especially in a footballing sense.

Man U/ Arsenal will always be a rivalry because of what has happened, it may get less important after SAF and wenger are gone, or if Arsenal continue to struggle to mount a real title challenge, but it will never go away, at least not in the next 20 years.

Real rivals doesnt really mean anything, any rivalry is real, some more intense than the orders but not any more "real". Rangers/Aberdeen is a very intense rivalry in Scotland, we dont challenge them for the title, our managers dont fight (infact they get along very well) and there is no real battles player vs player, it all stems from one tackle over 20 years ago, it will NEVER go away now. People dont turn these things on and off. Hatred runs deep, especially in a footballing sense.

So why in FM do Man Utd have a rivalry with Bolton and Blackburn? Its down as a local rivalry but they are not rivals in any sense at all. Not even because they are 'local'. We couldnt give a toss about Bolton and Blackburn. And the only time Blackburn was a rival was when they was challenging for the league and even that only lasted for a couple of years. The same with Newcastle.

This is how the Man Utd rivals appear on my game, although that was started with the first patch. Was the 'local rivals' section added later, or is that something hidden in the editor?

I think its an editor thing. Either way why is Bolton there? Hardly a rival. Even if it is due to them being local.

I think its an editor thing. Either way why is Bolton there? Hardly a rival. Even if it is due to them being local.

I've no idea, I live on the south coast so I'm not really too knowledgeable on local rivalries in that part of the country. Incidentally, Bolton have Man Utd listed as fierce rivalries, so perhaps it has come from a Bolton perspective?

The Man Utd thread in the data forum would probably be the best place to query it.

I dont understand how Man Utd can be a 'fierce' rival of Bolton either? The only reason I can think of is because they are close but then you might as well say Oldham are a rival aswell. Its nonsense really. I would have thought Boltons rivals would be more like Wigan and Blackburn as they are local and also around the same level sp they would be rivals for bragging rights. Possibly Burnley aswell but certainly not Utd.

The levels of the rivalries are all set by volunteer researchers who are fans of the clubs, they are not set according to some locality/level algorithm.

If you want to query them, the data threads are the best place to do it as often you can speak to the people who originally set the data.

The levels of the rivalries are all set by volunteer researchers who are fans of the clubs, they are not set according to some locality/level algorithm.

If you want to query them, the data threads are the best place to do it as often you can speak to the people who originally set the data.

Well if thats not set by some locality/level algorithm then its got me stumped even more :confused:

I'll ask in data issues :thup:

Archived