Why don't English players want to come to my club?

I started unemployed and applied for every job going. I was offered the manager's job at Saturn Ramenskoye in the Russian Premier Division and I accepted. They actually went out of business in real life and they have no senior players in the game when you take over so I essentially have to build a squad from scratch. They have a wage budget of £36k so at least I have something to work with, even if I can't sign players with the quality needed to compete at this level. For example, I can still sign 18 players on a weekly wage of £2k. However, because I can only sign free agents, I find it impossible to get English players to even consider a contract. No matter what level they are playing at, they just will not negotiate at all. I don't know why because the club has a reputation of 3000 (equivalent to a mid-table League Two team) and the league has a reputation of 145, so you think that they'd be willing to play at such a level? Why do you think this is and is there a way that I can lure them to the club somehow?

Have a look at real life and see how many English players ply their trade in Russia.

In fact, English players are not good travellers in general, it's pretty rare to see them go anywhere outside of the UK, let alone Russia.

I'm sure i've read somewhere that (at least in FM10 and earlier) certain factors were written into the game that meant certain nationalities didnt like moving to certain countries/continents.

I seem to remember it being to stop AI in say Brazil, buying English players (or any nationality you want as an example), which very rarely, if ever happens, in real life - and this was the easiest way to replicate that.

I don't know if in FM11, the DLR solves some of this further along the line.

I was in charge of a Bulgarian team for about 14 years, eventually getting them to the Champion league final (but we lost). I found that by this time we were able to get some decent Euro players interested (French, Italian). So if I had carried on and made the Bulgarian league better maybe we would have been able to get Brits. But, don't expect it to happen right away.

It's pre-programmed to reflect reality - English players don't like playing abroad.

So, a player search for Nationality=english, Based Not In (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland), and then looking only at those players with English as a first nationality (lots of Carribeans, a few Spaniards, etc.) and not including my club (which has two English players on the books) in 2022 reveals:

Fabian Delph [MC/L]- Villareal (on loan from Everton, internatioanlly capped)

Pat Moore [MR] - Lleida (South of Spain, regen - quite a few come through, presumably from 'expats' in the Costa Del Sol)

Jack Butland [GK] - Schalke (Signed on a Free from Birmingham 2014/15 - internationally capped)

Ed Madden [GK] - Bordeaux (regen, signed on a free from West Brom 2018/19)

Jackson Ramm [DR/MR] - Hoffenheim (signed for £1.8m from Leeds, 2019/20)

Ken Paul [WBL] - Rayo (another Spanish team regen)

Andros Townsend [ML] - PSG (signed for £4.5m from Ipswich, 2015/16, International Regular)

Martin Verity [DL] - Aachen (strange one this - regen at a German club, with no German second Nationality...)

It's pre-programmed to reflect reality - English players don't like playing abroad.

So, a player search for Nationality=english, Based Not In (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland), and then looking only at those players with English as a first nationality (lots of Carribeans, a few Spaniards, etc.) and not including my club (which has two English players on the books) in 2022 reveals:

Fabian Delph [MC/L]- Villareal (on loan from Everton, internatioanlly capped)

Pat Moore [MR] - Lleida (South of Spain, regen - quite a few come through, presumably from 'expats' in the Costa Del Sol)

Jack Butland [GK] - Schalke (Signed on a Free from Birmingham 2014/15 - internationally capped)

Ed Madden [GK] - Bordeaux (regen, signed on a free from West Brom 2018/19)

Jackson Ramm [DR/MR] - Hoffenheim (signed for £1.8m from Leeds, 2019/20)

Ken Paul [WBL] - Rayo (another Spanish team regen)

Andros Townsend [ML] - PSG (signed for £4.5m from Ipswich, 2015/16, International Regular)

Martin Verity [DL] - Aachen (strange one this - regen at a German club, with no German second Nationality...)

Roughly the same on mine, I did the same search and there are only 5 English players playing abroad, only real player is Wickham who I signed for Al-Hilal in Saudi Arabia.There is also a lad called Ross Barkley who is playing in Spain for Mallorca, two of the remaining three are on loan from Cardiff and Sheff Wed.

Strange, there are about 30 Englishmen abroad in my game including Beckford, Delph and Lennon. Having said that I'm running the Australian leagues and disincluding their league from my search gives me 15 names.

USA, Belgium, Spain, Iceland (Two regens came through at Stjarnan without Icelandic secondary nationalities), France (regen signed from an English club at age 17), Germany and Italy are the clubs where Brits are based. 7 of the Brits are capped at junior or full international levels and the rest are just cack regens produced randomly in arse-end-of-nowhere places like Fram or players who were abroad in the USA at the start of the game.

Strange, there are about 30 Englishmen abroad in my game including Beckford, Delph and Lennon. Having said that I'm running the Australian leagues and disincluding their league from my search gives me 15 names.

USA, Belgium, Spain, Iceland (Two regens came through at Stjarnan without Icelandic secondary nationalities), France (regen signed from an English club at age 17), Germany and Italy are the clubs where Brits are based. 7 of the Brits are capped at junior or full international levels and the rest are just cack regens produced randomly in arse-end-of-nowhere places like Fram or players who were abroad in the USA at the start of the game.

I have Australia running on my save as well as USA, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, New Zealand, England, Spain and Egypt. For some reason I expected a few English men playing in Australia and USA.

Archived