how to get great players from the youth team

hello,

i just started a career with peterborough united (my home team) and i have limited resources and a very limited budget! How do i get great players to come through my youth system to help me out in the next few seasons as i get ready for life in the championship and possibly the premier league in the coming seasons?

hello,

i just started a career with peterborough united (my home team) and i have limited resources and a very limited budget! How do i get great players to come through my youth system to help me out in the next few seasons as i get ready for life in the championship and possibly the premier league in the coming seasons?

The chance of getting great players through the youth system of the best youth systems in the world, like Barcelona and Manchester United, is still so low that you can expect to have a "leading Premier League player" potential youngster coming through once every ten seasons on average (baseless estimate).

The quality of the youth system is naturally limited by the club's standing in the world, so only the best clubs in the world can have a top class youth network and academy. The academies aren't upgraded as far as I know.

In order to have players reaching their potential, you need to tutor them with Determined, professional, ambitious players aged 24+ and with a higher reputation than the talented youngster you want to develop. This is unlikely to happen in lower-league clubs. You also need 3,5+ star coaches (I believe) in every relevant area and that is impossible unless you can have 9 or more coaches. I think training efficiency with Adequate or lower quality training facilities may be too poor but this is also just a belief. On top of this, your youngsters need to play competitive football now and then, and play non-competitive football well (7.00+), stay match fit and stay uninjured in order to increase in ability at all. Traning only distributes the Current Ability points.

I don't think it is possible for lower-league clubs to develop talents at all unless they are already good enough to play for your first team.

None of this means you can't buy young talent from elsewhere and train them up. I've got a couple of youngsters for <100k who will turn out good enough for the Championship even without extensive development.

Your coaches and your training facilities aren't going to be good enough to really make an impression on a player at a low level but you might have a decent tutor or 2 in your squad so get them tutored. Then get them games - lots of games. Loan them to another club if necessary and then give them games in your team. They will improve but it'll take a while and therein lies the problem. By the time those players have matured your club has (hopefully) progressed, whereby you'll need better youngsters but, fear not, sell the prospect you've been developing and start again with a better youngster.

The philosophy of buy young, improve, sell for a profit works at ANY level but it might not help you get promotions.

thank you very much biggusD and vector! thanks for the information i will keep that on board! i will not rely for youth players to come through but if i have the spare wage budget available i will look for overseas youths and bring them on trial to my improve my team for the future

Actually Determination has very little affect on player development. The only affect is that Determined players are better players and higher ratings mean more development. Professionalism (possibly ambition), personality, tutoring and, most importantly, game time determine player growth - training will help mould where that development goes.

http://www.thedugout.net/content/articles/item,1,2,1,Player_Development_and_Tutoring_Guide.html

Actually Determination has very little affect on player development. The only affect is that Determined players are better players and higher ratings mean more development. Professionalism (possibly ambition), personality, tutoring and, most importantly, game time determine player growth - training will help mould where that development goes.

http://www.thedugout.net/content/articles/item,1,2,1,Player_Development_and_Tutoring_Guide.html

Note that the experiments were done on FM2010. Determination is even more central now than it was back then. Of course, I can't know for sure the effect of Determination on development without doing a similar experiment myself. Observation is king, though!

It may just be that high Determination is indicative of other good hidden attributes.

It may just be that high Determination is indicative of other good hidden attributes.

Yeah I think this is spot on. Determination is still a key stat for me, probably the most important one as it affects almost everything that a player does.

Nope determination is not that important. However it's obvious that a player with low determination wont be a top quality player but professionalism and tutoring play far more important role on player's development. The only reason you think that this stat has enormous impact is because newgens with 20 determination from their appearence have very high potential for some reason in the game.

Archived