PDA

View Full Version : [FMHi2011] [FMHi2010] International characters in manager name not possible.

JaSat
08-08-2011, 05:37
International characters seems to work very well throughout the game. I have seen the norwegian letter 'æ', 'ø' and 'å' in both club names (Stabæk, Tromsø, Vålerenga) and player names (Bjørn Helge Riise and Håvard Nordtveit). However, I am not able to use these characters in my manager name. If I create a new game and enters ÆØÅ as first name and æøå as last name, the name ands up as AOA aoa in the game. Maybe a small fix for FMHi2012?

Marc Vaughan
08-08-2011, 14:37
International characters seems to work very well throughout the game. I have seen the norwegian letter 'æ', 'ø' and 'å' in both club names (Stabæk, Tromsø, Vålerenga) and player names (Bjørn Helge Riise and Håvard Nordtveit). However, I am not able to use these characters in my manager name. If I create a new game and enters ÆØÅ as first name and æøå as last name, the name ands up as AOA aoa in the game. Maybe a small fix for FMHi2012?

Unfortunately its not a 'small' fix as the characters returned by the keyboard don't match up to the ASCII values which are used within the game database for some reason (not entirely certain why - I've tried various of the encodings possible within the iOS SDK and none match accurately so I felt it was safest to disable them).

I'll try and take another look at this at some point, possibly individually rematching characters as appropriate - but tbh its a large job to undertake especially as I'm not overly familiar with many of the non-standard characters myself.

JaSat
09-08-2011, 11:56
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like "encoding hell" :-). Given the history of CM/FM as a DOS-game - and later Windows - and the fact that the database is shared with the Windows-version indicates to me (as an outsider) that the database is in one of the non standard DOS/Windows code pages (CP437?), and (again as a guess) that iOS stays true to one of the ISO standards (ISO-8859-X or more probably UTF8/UTF16). Anyway you have my sympathy, as I know this can be a nightmare to get right. Better spend the time improving other aspects of this terrific game.