Fan expectations are so high!

Really sorry if it's been discussed before, just wanted to highlight my issues with the fan expectations.

In the real football world a lot of managers are supported by fans over their board/chairman if the club is struggling. Off the top off my head Birmingham fans support Chris Hughton 100% and if they fail to get promotion they know it is not his fault at all. Some Coventry fans have accepted relegation already after losing half their starting 11 from last season and not having money to bring anyone in, yet Andy Thorn is appreciated and they know what a hard job he has.

I started a game as Coventy and my goal was to avoid relegation. I had put in all the recent transfers so obviously Leicester were walking the league. I played Leicester away and lost 2-1 after a battling performance and my job was on the line! Now I know nobody likes losing to their rivals but when a team is running away with the league and my goal is to avoid relegation it's frustrating when the fans are annoyed or angry at me for the result. There is no way this would happen in real life. How many QPR/Norwich/Swansea fans aren't expecting to lose 3-0 or more at least once to Man Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea/Man City/Liverpool/Spurs?

I know it's a game so you need that pressure when things aren't going well to keep it fun/interesting, but I think in certain situations the board and fans should be much more patient and understanding just like real life. It's a myth that the manager is always the first person to blame!

The interaction between the board, the fans and the manager seems to be very simplisticly programmed when it comes to expectations. If you lose vs a rival, they are all going to be unhappy about it, and if you are underperforming your job is in danger. Just look at the confidence screen and see what they say.

That is how it is. I am certain everyone agrees with you that this is also an aspect of FM that could be improved ;)

it's been like that for years now. tbf, it used to be worse as the board and fans used to disregard all your previous achievements after 5 or so games. I remember in FM08 Everton sacking me for finishing 1 place outside of the UEFA cup places. Totally disregarding the fact i had just won the FA cup for the first time in years thus qualifying for that very same tournament.

Like the transfer module, it's just one of those things that will never work as intended. Look on the bright side, we now have agent and player fees to contend with too.

Had to laugh when my £9m signing demanded a £20m signing on fee and his agent wanted £16m

Archived