Dynamic Leagues Reputation

Hello ;)

I wont played in FM few months, but i think it's time to back.

Short question from me - is dinamic league reputation in fm11? I remember that there were a lot of questions about this issue and many problems to enter it.. Is it working fine now?

If it's still like it was there are any plans to fix it?

It is/was a big problem for all of us, even if you will won 10 times Champions League with a club from "weak" league you couldnt buy best players ...

Anyway, You know what I mean, I hope so.. ;)

It works in principal, but there are a lot of static factors which mean that it has ceilings, especially outside of Europe. If you start in a 2 star league in Asia for example, the only way your reputation is down, especially if you're Australia, in which case it'll bomb down and quick (the Australian Reputation bug). If that's not bad enough predetermined values determine how good youngsters produced in a nation can be. This isn't logically so bad until you realise that it is a static figure that decides it.

So yeah, it technically works in Europe, but the game is still very static due to hidden static values. Hopefully the float these in FM12.

It doesnt work, simple as that.

If its taking 30years of sustained success to even budge a little then theres no point in it, 99% of people never get that far into a game.

Well, actually... that's not really what the problem is. Sustained success can bring big change very quickly as it stands (comparitively). For example my Honvéd side and in fact the other big sides in Hungary (in my game), the likes of Debrecen, Ujpest, Videoton and even the likes of Kaposvar, Gyor, Diosgyor and Ferencvaros have managed to drag Hungry from a 1-1.5 star league to know a 4 star league on the very edge of 4.5 stars. The league is currently considered the 3rd best in the World and is sitting 1st in the UEFA coefficients. What's more is that the two second divisions are rated 13th and 14th in Europe, above the likes of the Scottish Premier League. That save is now in 2024, however the league has been a major player in Europe since around 2019 which is where the league first overtook Russia.

The issue as it stands in Europe is with the Youth Development. There is a value for each nation called "importance" which effectively limits youth development in some nations. It is defined from what I can tell (and what has been discussed in another thread) as how important the public of a country see football. Hungary for one is ranked as "unimportant" and as such are stuck with players who are for the most part rubbish, this essentially resulting in an influx of foreign players. The issue isn't that this value exists, but rather that it is static. In the case of what has happened in my game there should surely be an increase in interest in the sport as would happen in real life with so much money flowing through it. Hopefully this will be incorperated in future versions, but we'll see.

Outside of Europe there is a very different story however. Essentially the problem exists that as there is no major "world club tournament", only the small World Club Championship it means that leagues outside of Europe have problems becoming any bigger than about 2-3 stars. South American leagues are slightly less impacted due to Copa Libertadores having 4.5 stars, but they are still affected.

What's worse than this however is that for some leagues the reputation system is just broken. For example, in Asia, no matter the results in continental competitions the western leagues (middle eastern ones) will dominate the rankings whilst the eastern ones get hammered. This happens even if all western teams are knocked out early. The reason for this doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it greatly impacts the Australian League, essentially condemning it to complete failure no matter what success they have. Other issue such as a static salary cap (despite it not being in real life) in the A-league make the league essentially static, which is completely against the promise of DLR.

To summarise, it works very well in Europe for the most part, however youth development static issues are still there. Outside Europe needs a lot of work however. For the first year of introduction though it's done well and I do thank SI for their efforts. Let's just hope they build on this!

That's one thing I don't like about the 'importance' rating. It limits the youth development, but doesn't really factor the public 'craziness' of the sport. A lot of the countries lack development, not want of support.

The issue as it stands in Europe is with the Youth Development. There is a value for each nation called "importance" which effectively limits youth development in some nations. It is defined from what I can tell (and what has been discussed in another thread) as how important the public of a country see football. Hungary for one is ranked as "unimportant" and as such are stuck with players who are for the most part rubbish, this essentially resulting in an influx of foreign players. The issue isn't that this value exists, but rather that it is static. In the case of what has happened in my game there should surely be an increase in interest in the sport as would happen in real life with so much money flowing through it. Hopefully this will be incorperated in future versions, but we'll see.

But in real life the success of one/two teams doesn't guarantee the whole domestic scene will improve or the new generation of local players will improve dramatically...

Case in point: Norway in the 90s. The national team achieved remarkable results, plenty of players moved to Top Leagues (although with mixed results), Rosenborg had some impressive runs in European Cups, even other clubs managed to briefly rise above their usual standard... And then... it was over... The 2000s have been a significant step backwards for Norwegian football, despite the whole football scene having improved (professionalism in the top tier, some good players, slightly increased appeal).

In the end all the Golden Age of Drillo and Eggen has brought "only" served to marginally improve the domestic league [+0.5* IMO in FM ratings] but the "generic Norwegian youngster" hasn't really changed that much... Every once in a while an above-average guy comes through the ranks, but the average level isn't much better than it used to be 10 or 15 years ago.

So I don't think the fixed value for "importance" is that big of an issue... Indeed the most successful clubs from minor nations do build their success on foreign players and/or on economic power... They either manage to attract the best foreigners (who are willing to relocate there) and can basically pick whoever they want on the domestic market...

But despite Shaktar winning the UEFA Cup, the likes of Vorskla Poltava and Chornomorets aren't going to spawn a couple of Shevchenko-quality youngsters every other year...

But in real life the success of one/two teams doesn't guarantee the whole domestic scene will improve or the new generation of local players will improve dramatically...

Case in point: Norway in the 90s. The national team achieved remarkable results, plenty of players moved to Top Leagues (although with mixed results), Rosenborg had some impressive runs in European Cups, even other clubs managed to briefly rise above their usual standard... And then... it was over... The 2000s have been a significant step backwards for Norwegian football, despite the whole football scene having improved (professionalism in the top tier, some good players, slightly increased appeal).

In the end all the Golden Age of Drillo and Eggen has brought "only" served to marginally improve the domestic league [+0.5* IMO in FM ratings] but the "generic Norwegian youngster" hasn't really changed that much... Every once in a while an above-average guy comes through the ranks, but the average level isn't much better than it used to be 10 or 15 years ago.

So I don't think the fixed value for "importance" is that big of an issue... Indeed the most successful clubs from minor nations do build their success on foreign players and/or on economic power... They either manage to attract the best foreigners (who are willing to relocate there) and can basically pick whoever they want on the domestic market...

But despite Shaktar winning the UEFA Cup, the likes of Vorskla Poltava and Chornomorets aren't going to spawn a couple of Shevchenko-quality youngsters every other year...

The question however is why not? Hungary for one produced one of the best sides the world has ever seen a few decades ago, back before the dawn of the "big" leagues. They in fact were on the cusp between the old football World and what would become the World of the European Cup and its successors. We talk about the change that the Premier League brought, but the change that occurred there was just as big if not bigger. If a nation like Hungary did end up having a league as big as England, Spain or Italy (as in my game) then it is unthinkable that the generated media interest, money flowing in and all that goes with it wouldn't get the nation to become more interested in the sport.

I mean, people keep saying: "Oh, well in the US in got Pelé and Best in the 70s and 80s and they didn't gain that much interest", however that is a flawed argument as within that there is the issue that it never even competed on the level of the other major sports in terms of finance and media interest. The change that can be brought about in a sport very quickly due to media interest in absolutely enormous. Having an ageing Pelé or best won't change anything, but becoming a major league with more money than good sense might.

An example would be the expansion of the AFL (Australian Football League) in Australia in the last 20 years. For those who don't know, the AFL is an Australian Rules Football competition in Australia. Back in the late 80s the competition was still known as the VFL (Victorian Football League) and at the time was very much a Victorian thing. Some South Australians and Western Australians who wished they were Victorian however did follow the sport in some small sense, however Cricket dominated and local leagues in some sense existed. The expansion into these markets and the birth of the modern AFL was hardly a surprised to some and its success wasn't a surprise either. However the further expansion of the sport into Rugby Heartland years later, that is New South Wales and Queensland was. These areas have historically been dominated by Rugby League and to a much smaller extent Rugby Union (and Cricket, but that's a different kettle of fish). Not only has increased financial investment in media and teams brought the sport to these new areas, but the success of Teams like the Brisbane Lions (2001-03 Premiers) and the Sydney Swans has actually prompted the AFL to expand now into other areas in the very core of Rugby league with expansion moving now into the Gold Coast (this season) and Greater Western Sydney (next season). In fact this season a $1.15 billion deal has been signed between Fox Sports (Australia's biggest pay tv sports broadcaster) for the rights over the next 5 years. The very idea that a little bit of media exposure and success would allow AFL to succeed in these areas 10-15 years ago would have been laughed off, but the Brisbane Lions these days could very well challenge the Brisbane Broncos (Brisbane's Rugby league side, the beating heart of Brisbane sport). The same thing is slowly happening with football (soccer) here these days as well, but much slower, though that is irrelevant to the point. With success, money and media coverage you can sway people to follow a different sport and an "importance" value can certainly change, and very quickly (comparatively) as well.

There is no reason why on my game the sport should not have become at least "important" in Hungary, but rather it is just a limitation in the current version which should hopefully be dealt with in future versions, but we'll see.

I should also point out that an increase in "importance" doesn't lead directly to an increase in the quality of youth, it only allows for the development of facilities that would facilitate this. Also, nations like the Ukraine have the potential already in the game.

Archived