AFC Wimbledon - SIGames...

Sorry about that.

"As previously announced, in AFC Wimbledon’s first game in the Football League the team will wear a one-off commemorative shirt. It is a replica, as near as we have been able to make it, of the shirt worn when Wimbledon FC played Halifax FC in August 1977, our first ever game in the Football League.

To help us to make the shirt look as close to the original as possible, our shirt sponsors Sports Interactive, makers of the award-winning Football Manager game, have agreed that we can omit their logo.

Sports Interactive have been our shirt sponsors since we started and have been unfailingly supportive of the club over the last nine years. This is another example of their generous support, for which we thank them.

The Sports Interactive logo will of course continue to appear on the shirts worn by all our teams for the rest of the season."

Efforts like this and Warchild is why Sports Interactive is not like any other gaming company. Love it.

Incredible what AFC Wimbledon have managed to achieve over a fairly short period of time. Must really motivate other clubs of similar beginnings. Far from easy to replicate what they have done, but it's positive to see it can be done.

A lot of people who seem to like AFC Wimbledon don't seem to remember what they were like in their original 'incarnation'.

Is it just me who remembers Wimbledon FC as a horrible club playing horrible thuggish long ball football?

Would the love for AFC Wimbledon, and the idea of them being 'lovable underdogs', cease if people saw the old 'crazy gang' playing their unsophisticated, physical, route one game? As Gary Lineker once commented: 'The best way to watch Wimbledon is on Ceefax'! :D

A lot of people who seem to like AFC Wimbledon don't seem to remember what they were like in their original 'incarnation'.

Is it just me who remembers Wimbledon FC as a horrible club playing horrible thuggish long ball football?

Would the love for AFC Wimbledon, and the idea of them being 'lovable underdogs', cease if people saw the old 'crazy gang' playing their unsophisticated, physical, route one game? As Gary Lineker once commented: 'The best way to watch Wimbledon is on Ceefax'! :D

ever heard of a saying 'Love to Hate'???

them may not alway have been the best team to watch, but i always admired there sprit and passion

Sorry but they could play football as well and people always like an underdog

Hmmm, not sure about that!

As for 'underdog', AFC Wimbledon haven't been an underdog for most of their existence. They've had more resources, more fans and been a bigger club in the majority of Non-League divisions they've competed in!

Don't get me wrong, I admire what AFC Wimbledon have achieved and what it means for football. The new incarnation also play some football unlike the original Wimbledon! :p

I remember them from that time, and they played some really bad football. Hoof it up and use all kinds of dirty tricks. Who can forget a certain 'grasp' a now Hollywood actor did..... :D

But AFC Wimbledon is not Wimbledon FC. They started on scratch like many other teams have done after. They were in a better position because they had a lot of natural fans, and thus more resources, but what they have done is impressive.

football would be kind of dull if everyone played like barca. Suprised AFC have made it up to league 2 so quickly tbh

Considering I think Barcelona play boring football (most of the time), the CL would be a nightmare if everybody did that.

The aurora behind AFC Wimbledon is that everyone likes an underdog. Now considering that they had more then average support and resources in the lower leagues, it was relatively easy for them to make it, at least up till the conference. Now we need to see if the investment would continue and see if th is underdog story would truly come to life and seeing AFCW going up the divisions.

Personally, seeing the crazy gang playing was one of my first memories of football, true they didn't play in a conventional way however their never die attitude is what sticks to my memory. Football nowadays is missing the passion that those lads had back in that day!

however their never die attitude is what sticks to my memory. Football nowadays is missing the passion that those lads had back in that day!

Plenty of players today still have this, but the type of aggressive tackling deemed acceptable in the 80's is now very much frowned upon and will result in red cards and lengthy suspensions. I refuse to turn into my dad with all this "everything was better in my day" nonsense. Wimbledon's style of football did not better the game in any way, their philosophy of "man or ball, who cares which" isn't something to be remembered fondly imo.

I wouldn't say that everything was better back in the day, far from it. However they used to play football with the rules they had back in that day! Football has now changed and if they play that way again they wouldn't last. However these are new players, a new generation of players and none of them can play that way otherwise they will only last 10 minutes on the field. I am following them for 2 reasons: 1. SIGames, I would love to see an SIGames sponsored team doing well. 2. Underdog story! It reminds me of my youth and the dreams I had!

I disliked them in the old Crazy Gang days...

That said, they didn't deserve what happened to them. I wasn't too sad to see them drop out the top flight. Their style of football wasn't deserving of it.

However, to be destroyed, picked up and moved to another city, as a sporting franchise?

I dislike the driver who ran over a puddle yesterday, splashing my legs. I wouldn't want to see him and his family killed by radioactive poisoning though. And if they were, I'd wish the one surviving son who crawled out of the house the best of luck when he tried to reintegrate with mankind. Even when he tried to get a driving licence.

Disliking the Crazy Gang and wishing what happened to Wimbledon on a club are a world apart. So I too look forward to the day that AFC Wimbledon overtake the MK Dons in the league. May it come soon, and last forever.

If they get back to the Premiership and try that horrible style of football again? I'll wish relegation on them again. Nothing more though.

As has been said AFC Wimbledon have been far from underdogs in their existance so far. They have now reached a level playing field in such as attendance and finances I guess. I think they will do well this season as the Conference is not too dissimilar in standard from League 2 and the chances of promotion from League 2 are twice that of the Conference.

I think it is commendable of SI Games to allow their logo to be ommitted from the shirts on day one of the season given the amount of coverage (including the live game) but I guess the coverage generated as a result (this thread will probably have been replicated across a vast amount of forums over the weekend in addition to press/media publications) will have ensured their brand has been mentioned in great detail.

My 'other' teams are Wimbledon and FC United. I always follow their results and happenings. Guess I'm just intrigued by the fan and community atmosphere. Very refreshing.

Same here due to the way the clubs are run, and of course due to being a United fan unhappy with the Glazers. This 'traitor' thing is vastly exaggerated. Think it's pretty amazing to see clubs run like that having the success both teams have had. Long may it continue.

What happened to Wimbledon is just terrible. But I don't consider AFC Wimbledon to be 'Wimbledon' in that sense. It's a totally new club in my mind.

Holding the Crazy Gang days against AFC Wimbledon seems a little unfair! Those days are long gone. Indeed, those days were well over before the previous club even moved to Milton Keynes.

I'm fully behind AFC Wimbledon and what they're doing. I agree that the tag of underdogs is a little inaccurate, given the resources at their disposal in most of the leagues they've played in. But the Wimbledon-MK Dons scenario is one of the most scandalous things to happen in English football in the last ten years or so. Imagine what it must feel like to have your club taken out of the community and dropped somewhere completely different.

i dont think anybody liked the way wimbledon played football but what happened to the old club is a disgrace. im sure that most wimbledon have always lived quite close to the area that they hail from. the old club was their club and belonged to their area. when it got moved what choice did they get but to start up a new club? most football fans realise that milton keynes getting a football club the way they did was wrong. if you want a club in your area then you have to start at the bottom and work your way up, not just buy a league club and move it!

Most football fans like the new afc wimbledon and dont like the mk dons. if the 2 teams played each other i know who most people would like to win.

Yep, they were a team of thugs and I couldn't see why anybody would have wanted them to win. But this isn't Wimbledon, and 99% of fans of all other teams would say that what happened to them was completely wrong on every level.

That said, it was hardly a drop down for the fans to go from watching Wimbledon playing the long-ball game to watching AFC Wimbledon playing the long-ball game. In fact, one of their fans said that Kingstonian's pitch was a step up from Selhurst Park.

Archived