Kit selector option for FM12

any chance of a kit select option in FM12?

The AI choice of kits can spoil the matchday experience with a colour clash :-(

This has become more of a problem since the fantastic addition of the 3D match engine, but the AI quite frequently gets the choice of kits wrong, making it difficult to enjoy the 3D highlights.

For example, when playing as Man City vs any team in white (leeds, spurs etc) it is sky blue vs white :-(

As atletico madrid (red & white stripes, blue shorts) vs any team in blue & white stripes & blue shorts, no change of kit !

As Hibs (green & white) vs Celtic (green & white hoops), both play in first choice kit !

We don't need a kit editor, just the chance to select which team plays in which kit during the pre-match build up :-) :-) :-)

When i came into this thread, i expected something else and was dissapointed. I do agree that the match-day kit choice can sometimes be wrong, but i was under the impression that this idea was that a team was given a set choice of colours from the start of the game. Liverpool for example, red, white, yellow, green. we have played in these colours before. Every season we would get a "new" kit so that its not the same every year (only the away kit will differ of course, who would want an iconic home kit changning?)

• 1 month later...
When i came into this thread, i expected something else and was dissapointed. I do agree that the match-day kit choice can sometimes be wrong, but i was under the impression that this idea was that a team was given a set choice of colours from the start of the game. Liverpool for example, red, white, yellow, green. we have played in these colours before. Every season we would get a "new" kit so that its not the same every year (only the away kit will differ of course, who would want an iconic home kit changning?)

I'm sure this has been mentioned before and the conclusion was due to rights with kits, they are not aloud to change them, but I maybe wrong.

I'm pretty sure managers can raise kit clashes issues with the ref at any point in a game and request a rekit in a different jersey. I'm nearly sure I saw somewhere before where a team didn't bring their 2nd kit to an away game, so the home team switched to their 2nd kit.

Can't remember where though?

I'm pretty sure managers can raise kit clashes issues with the ref at any point in a game and request a rekit in a different jersey. I'm nearly sure I saw somewhere before where a team didn't bring their 2nd kit to an away game, so the home team switched to their 2nd kit.

I have seen this several times in Denmark with the smaller clubs. Either someone forgot to bring the away jerseys or the ref thinks the away jersey is still too similar. I have seen the away team play in my local club's away shirts on a single occassion.

• SI Staff
Interesting that the ability to change / edit kits could be a 'rights' issue - so back to the original idea then...a choice before each game for away team kit...

I doubt there is anything (license wise) stopping us allowing the user which kits to use in the match. You can do it in the action games so I don't see why it would be a problem.

I doubt there is anything (license wise) stopping us allowing the user which kits to use in the match. You can do it in the action games so I don't see why it would be a problem.

Ive wanted this for a long time, theres lots of clashes and the user would be able to avoid them 100%, the ai choice is not perfect and as you say, its in FIFA and PES.

As bad as it can be watch 2 team in the same colours in FM, its even worse IRL when I watched Braga (in their Arsenal kit) v QPR (in red and white quarters)

How will you know before the match which kit the opposition are going to wear?
It could appear, for example, in the email that is in your inbox just before the game (hitting continue usually brings you to team selection). And a dropdown to switch kits.

• SI Staff
good news then! FM2013 first feature anounce?

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't get to decide what features go into FM.

Ive wanted this for a long time, theres lots of clashes and the user would be able to avoid them 100%, the ai choice is not perfect and as you say, its in FIFA and PES.

As bad as it can be watch 2 team in the same colours in FM, its even worse IRL when I watched Braga (in their Arsenal kit) v QPR (in red and white quarters)

Yeah, it does make sense and would solve all kit clash issues. Might not be totally realistic but it is a game at the end of the day and would avoid potential frustrations.

How will you know before the match which kit the opposition are going to wear?

I would see it as something before the match it would show you what kits each team are going to wear and you can change them if you want to.

Yeah, it does make sense and would solve all kit clash issues. Might not be totally realistic but it is a game at the end of the day and would avoid potential frustrations.

I don't see any realism issue for the higher division clubs as most will have a third strip that could be selected & as Man United proved a number of years ago teams will travel with both choices of alternate strips.

What would be better is for one of the interns to be sat down for a week or two to go though all the possible match ups to filter out the horrible yellow/orange kit clashes & the awful colour clashes in the commentary bar which result in being unable to read the text.

I get the feeling that this goes into that box (along with, for example, names for new stadiums) marked "things that the game could be programmed to do but that would take so much effort that you're better off taking the realism hit and letting the user do it instead..."

I don't see any realism issue for the higher division clubs as most will have a third strip that could be selected & as Man United proved a number of years ago teams will travel with both choices of alternate strips.

What would be better is for one of the interns to be sat down for a week or two to go though all the possible match ups to filter out the horrible yellow/orange kit clashes & the awful colour clashes in the commentary bar which result in being unable to read the text.

I think it's an algorithm thing really, because it is not that difficult to design an algorithm that maximises the contrast between two colours.

For the text, I have advocated on many occasions for the text letters to at least have a border that is the opposite of the text colour (i.e. white text => black border) to allow it to be seen more easily and will at least reduce the odd clash or two.

• SI Staff
I think it's an algorithm thing really, because it is not that difficult to design an algorithm that maximises the contrast between two colours.

For the text, I have advocated on my occasions for the text letters to at least have a border that is the opposite of the text colour (i.e. white text => black border) to allow it to be seen more easily and will at least reduce the odd clash or two.

We can be a bit more flexible with the text now so hopefully we will be able to make some improvements here.

I think its more realistic, a lot of teams now use the away kit even if there isnt a clash with the home, it would still be good to get the AI recommended option shown but with the option for the user to change.

For the text, I have advocated on my occasions for the text letters to at least have a border that is the opposite of the text colour (i.e. white text => black border) to allow it to be seen more easily and will at least reduce the odd clash or two.

We can be a bit more flexible with the text now so hopefully we will be able to make some improvements here.

If you could just make sure there's no elementary mistakes in the editor that'd be great - teams with text the SAME colour as the background ffs LOL. When I'm including lower leagues in foreign countries I go through the all the teams in the editor to fix these.

• SI Staff
I think its more realistic, a lot of teams now use the away kit even if there isnt a clash with the home, it would still be good to get the AI recommended option shown but with the option for the user to change.

Yeah, if we were to do this it would probably show you the AI choice then allow you to change it if you want to.

• SI Staff
If you could just make sure there's no elementary mistakes in the editor that'd be great - teams with text the SAME colour as the background ffs LOL. When I'm including lower leagues in foreign countries I go through the all the teams in the editor to fix these.

Mistakes happen though. If you post the errors in the Data Issues section then we can ensure these get fixed.

I think the problem is the way the game decides if the kits are clashing is too simplistic. I think it basically just compares the primary colours assigned to each kit but some kit designs the secondary colour is more dominant so you can end up with teams that appear to clash.

Happened in a rugby league game last season where two teams were playing at a neutral ground, one had the wrong kit with them and so they had to borrow the kit of the team who's ground it was.

Happened with Cork City vs NEC Nijmeggen in the UEFA Cup of 2004. The ref decided that both Cork Kits clashed with Nijmeggen's, so the City management bought plain white kits locally. Here's a link to the kit and explanation.

Archived