What constitutes an "assist"?

Just a couple of observations from FM recently:

1) My striker broke free of the defensive line, shot into the keeper and my trailing AMC tucked in the rebound. My striker was credited with an assist.

2) My holding midfielder put in a crunching slide tackle which pushed the ball forward 10 yards. My AMC picked it up, took a few steps and scored from 20 yards. My holding midfielder was credited with an assist.

Does the game misrepresent what an assist is or do these two examples constitute it in real life?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assist_%28football%29

Worth a little read.

"Recording assists is not part of the official Laws of the Game and the criteria for an assist to be awarded may vary."

"Most commonly, an assist is credited to a player for passing or crossing the ball to the scorer. It may also be awarded to a player whose shot rebounds (off a defender, goalkeeper or goalpost) to a teammate who scores; or to a player who wins a penalty kick for another player to convert."

I'd give assists to both of those examples, as they both played a key part in creating the goal.

I'd agree with that. Basically, the last player to touch the ball before the goalscorer. This could mean a six inch tap followed by a mazy run down the length of the pitch. Or, a mazy run down the length of the pitch followed by a six inch tap in. Life isn't fair.

So, except for penalties and when the oppo player gives the ball away, there will always be someone who deserves the credit.

IMO the player who last touches the ball before the player that put the ball into the net should get the assist. E.g. I pass to my team mate, he tries first time shot, he scores. He is the goal scorer and I get the assist. That's the only time IMO when the passes should get an assist.

And not like in FM, e.g. player shoots, ball hits the crossbar and deflects to a team mate, he scores and the guy who hit the crossbar gets an assist. :thdn:

I know that in the Premier League if a player gets fouled in the penalty area and a different player scores the penalty the initial player will get an assist, however if the initial penalty is saved and the rebound scored no assist is given.

Which is not right IMO.

Archived