What's the difference between 'positioning' and 'off the ball' training?

I dont know the 'official (SI)' difference but I would say positioning is a defensive attribute and off the ball is an attacking attribute. Positioning is the players ability to be in the right position on the pitch to stop any through balls or tackling. Off the ball would be a players ability to find space for themselves in attacking situations.

Pretty much, Cunning Linguist summed it up.

I presume that 'Positioning' is a players ability to get themselves into a Good position to extinguish a opposition attacking move or in a Striker's case; to get into a Good Position to score a Goal or atleast have an attempt.

'Off The Ball movement' onthe other hand is where a player will run 'off the ball' as the name suggests. Take Cesc Fabregas for example, his 'Off the Ball' movement is a high 18. This allows him to drift into Good, Attacking Areas or inbetween oppositon Defensive Lines. For a Full Back, 'Off the Ball movement' is a good aquisition to a player because It will determine how well the Full Back in question will bomb forward. Take Ashley Cole & Dani Alves for examples, both of them have 'Off the Ball movements' ratings of 16 which allows them to make dangerous runs ahead of the Wingers.

Those are my 'Theories' if you could call them that. Hope it aids you :thup:

Here http://www.footballmanager.com/manual/173

Off the Ball

A player’s movement without the ball. Similar to Anticipation, this is how well a player, particularly attacking ones, can assess a situation and then move off the ball, making themselves available to receive a pass in a dangerous position.

Positioning

Positioning is the ability of a player to read a situation and position himself in the best possible position to deal with the unfolding events. Anticipation will help him in the first stage but in terms of his actual positioning, it comes down to this attribute. A higher rating will ensure the player takes up a better position.

hmmm i always thought position was an important stat for Keepers, now i see its good to have defensive players with it as well, you learn summat new everyday!

Positioning is a key attribute for defenders. In case you are unaware, you can see the key attributes for each position in the tactics section, highlight a player on the left and the attributes will be highlighted on the right half of the screen under basic player instructions. (well it was in FM10)

Positioning is a key attribute for defenders. In case you are unaware, you can see the key attributes for each position in the tactics section, highlight a player on the left and the attributes will be highlighted on the right half of the screen under basic player instructions. (well it was in FM10)

And for any midfielder you expect to contribute to the defensive phase

i still say its important for Keepers as well, i mean if your keeper is out of position, thats a bad thing is it not?

Yes, all defenders. Check his basic instructions in tactics.

This is from a list of Hints & Tips from FM10, I can't remember which thread I got this from and I apologise to the person who provided the original post, whose name I can't remember either.

BEST RATINGS FOR CERTAIN POSITIONS-WHICH RATINGS TO LOOK FOR

13 The ratings for reflexes, handling, communication, jumping and positioning are

generally a good indicator for how good a goalkeeper is.

14 If you're looking for a good wing-back pay special attention to an

individual's positioning, tackling, stamina, pace and acceleration.

15 Positioning, tackling, pace and anticipation are just some of the important

characteristics that make for a good full-back.

16 A good centre-back will usually have high ratings for tackling, jumping,

positioning, heading, strength, marking, bravery and team work.

17 Pace, dribbling, passing, off the ball, creativity, stamina and crossing are

just some of the important characteristics that make for a good winger.

18 Passing, off the ball, creativity, technique, dribbling and stamina are just

some of the important characteristics that make for a good attacking

midfielder.

19 A good defensive midfielder will most likely have high ratings for tackling,

work rate, stamina and positioning.

20 Pace, acceleration, dribbling, technique, finishing and off the ball are just

some of the important characteristics that make for a good pacey striker.

21 Jumping, heading, strength and off the ball are just some of the important

characteristics that make for a good target man.

These are actual ingame (FM10) hints and tips, and pinpoint the basic core of key attributes per position. As I said earlier, all key attributes for every position can be found in Tactics under Instructions>Player Instructions Basic.

Archived