POLL: Do you use Steam for Football Manager or not?

Do you use Steam for Football Manager or not?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Steam for Football Manager or not?

• Yes, I use Steam
    • No, I do not use Steam

I thought it would be interesting to see how many people on these forums use Steam (and those who don't) - and post your reasons why if you wish.

I use Steam not only for Football Manager but also most PC games I buy - I find it incredibly useful to keep all the games up to date automatically. It is also much better these days with the ability to take screenshots and to save them on the Steam Cloud, which you can then post on here.

I prefer installing from a disc, rather than via Steam. At least with FM you're given a choice, because some games you have to install Steam to run the game.

When it comes to updates and patches for games, I always find that they can be sourced elsewhere and downloaded much, much faster and reliably. That's important to me, as I have satellite internet and don't wish to waste my limited bandwidth on failed downloads.

Having spent a few decades ending up with games I can no longer play/install because I lost/scratched a disk somewhere along the line I've been an enthusiastic convert to steam since it first launched.

Not fussed particularly about the achievements but do like not having to worry about patches, steam just keeps everything up to date. Though a nice fast internet connection helps.

I prefer installing from a disc, rather than via Steam. At least with FM you're given a choice, because some games you have to install Steam to run the game.

I'm the same, never really understood paying more for a digital copy of the game that is generally more restricted than a retail version, though the steam sales over the last couple of years have meant I've amassed a decent sized collection of steam games (plus several more on other DD sites in their sales) for about the price of 2 full-priced games.

I'm also not a fan of games that force you into using Steamworks when you have bought the disk, I'd prefer more games to offer a choice like FM2011 did.

I use Steam because I dont have to keep track of a bunch of discs. Its great to have a place where all the different FM's are stored, and I can install it on whatever PC I want without the hassle of bringing my discs with me. I have never had any problem with it what so ever, and the achievements, the auto-patching and the fact that I can get it as soon as it is released are added bonuses.

I've hated it ever since I had a bad experience with it when installing FM09. So I avoided it ever since.

However, recently I bought Terraria via Steam, and it seems to have changed quite a bit. I think maybe I might try installing FM on it in the future and maybe try some other games via Steam.

Originally, I kind of hated that it was intrusive and I also disliked having a third-party application on my computer in order to access a game. But now, I figure having all of my games in one place and some of the other features (automatic patch updates etc.) are worth it.

FM is the only PC game I play so I happily use the disc as it stays in my laptop 99% of the time. I also have satellite internet with download limits so I like to keep track of exactly when I'm getting updates and the size of them.

I used Direct Download for FM11 ... and man, does the ByteShield suck or what. So that will be the last time I do that. Next time it will either be on disc or Steam. Whether it'll be one or the other, doesn't matter too much. I usually download my games, as I am too lazy to go out and find the game in a store, and too cheap to want to pay for postage fees :D

Quick question regarding launching FM via Steam: can you set it to launch in windowed mode?

Normally, in the past, I've had to include the '-windowed' thingy in the shortcut bar to get it to work. Can you do that with Steam? :confused:

Hope someone knows what I'm talking about as I haven't explained myself terribly well! :o

Quick question regarding launching FM via Steam: can you set it to launch in windowed mode?

Normally, in the past, I've had to include the '-windowed' thingy in the shortcut bar to get it to work. Can you do that with Steam? :confused:

Hope someone knows what I'm talking about as I haven't explained myself terribly well! :o

Isn't windowed mode decided in the game preferences?? .... although I don't use steam, my FM11 starts in windowed mode every time, after I selected it in the Preferences.

If you just go into the games preferences and change the option to windowed mode. It will launch that way from then on :)

Got nothing against it, just don't use it for FM, Civ V recently is the only thing aside from FM 09 I've used on it. Just as well I don't as given I'm running Poland, I was able to keep playing when the patch came out that prevented such saves from being loaded, and was able to patch when the fix came shortly afterwards, plus after one patch (which was downloaded from the SI site) ruined any existing or new files on FM 08, partly spoiling that year for me, I tend to fear a repeat, though would still normally install a new patch quickly anyway. It's more a case of the old-fashioned ways not being broke for me mostly.

If you just go into the games preferences and change the option to windowed mode. It will launch that way from then on :)

Ah, excellent. So I didn't even need the '-windowed' bit anyway!

Thanks for that. I'll give that a whirl.

I was worried because I used to get the 'resolution doesn't work' error message, or something like that. The solution used to be to put the '-windowed' bit on the shortbut. But that might have been on an earlier FM. Is that solved for the latest FMs then?

I might try reinstalling my FM on Steam to try it out! :)

Just to clarify, this is what I mean: http://www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Windowed_Mode

I've always had to do this to get windowed mode on:

1. Right click on the FM icon on your desktop & select 'properties'.

2. In the target field, add -windowed -small_screen at the end of the target, with a space between the target & -windowed -small_screen

3. Click 'ok'.

4. Double-click the Football Manager shortcut on your desktop & it should open up in a window.

I've had my share of problems with Steam (not with FM though) but I still think it's a good system and worth using.

Got Railroad Tycoon 2 for £2.99 via Steam, which makes up for any of its other deficiencies:D

I use steam but i always buy the CD version. Im not prepared to pay more than 5 eur for any game that is DRM protected. Thankfully FM has multiple install options and i can still play no matter what happens to my steam account.

last i checked you still needed the right resolution or higher to run in windowed mode,

I used to use 1024x768 for FM09 and could use the above properties adjustment to run in windowed. Wouldn't work this year so upped my resolution to 1280x768, then set windowed mode in game preferences. So in effect, you are right.

EDIT: To answer the question, I do use steam, but install it to steam via the disk. Works like a charm

I used to use 1024x768 for FM09 and could use the above properties adjustment to run in windowed. Wouldn't work this year so upped my resolution to 1280x768, then set windowed mode in game preferences. So in effect, you are right.

I'm already on that resolution, I think, so I should be okay then?

It definitely doesn't work without the '-windowed' bit on FM08 but I'm guessing it's probably changed for the newer FMs.

It would be really frustrating if I installed via steam and couldn't run in windowed mode. In fact, it would put me off using it. Can anyone confirm?

I might try to give it a test using FM10 later.

I run FM in windowed mode, as mentioned above once you change the setting in the game to run in windowed mode it will always start in a window.

As I mentioned also I love being able to upload screenshots quickly - press F12, upload to the Steam Cloud, get the link and voila!

Plus I get to chat to friends whilst playing. All this from one program, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't use it! Each to their own I suppose.

I would prefer not to use Steam because FM is the only PC I play. However, my disc drive doesn't always work properly in terms of reading discs and when it does decide to work it sounds like a tractor so using and leaving Steam in offline mode is a good workaround.

Archived