Does being a player-coach affect a player?

I'm just curious as my captain, who has been with my club since he was 19 has basically told me that he can get started on being a staff member whenever I want. He's only 31 and he's still the best centrehalf in the world, and whilst I think it'd be a bit of fun to have my captain be my a coach, at the same time I'm vaguely worried that it might mean that he'll degrade as a player quicker. Anyone had any experience with this before?

it may be worth it to have him as tutor for a couple of years, a player/tutor would be more effective than a player/coach!

unless ofcourse they can still tutor as a player/coach

They can do everything they could as a player as a player-coach from my knowledge, I'm just wondering if it'll make him degrade quicker as a player.

I've always had the impression that player/staff are effectively two people.

Perhaps someone with FMRTE would know if they have two CA values?

I know that they are very different with in some cases great players making rubbish coaches and rubbish players making great coaches (like in real life), I'm just wondering if the game makes them have a harder workload and as such degrade as players quicker.

I know that they are very different with in some cases great players making rubbish coaches and rubbish players making great coaches (like in real life), I'm just wondering if the game makes them have a harder workload and as such degrade as players quicker.

I've never noticed a sudden drop but usually this would be with a player who was in decline anyway. And when I made my player/ass man a player, he still sucked on the pitch.

So, in summary: I don't think so but don't know for sure. I wouldn't want to risk a world class player just to get a mediocre coach.

I've never noticed a sudden drop but usually this would be with a player who was in decline anyway. And when I made my player/ass man a player, he still sucked on the pitch.

So, in summary: I don't think so but don't know for sure. I wouldn't want to risk a world class player just to get a mediocre coach.

Good advice! I might leave him for a bit, but if he turns out to be a good coach he's certainly on a shortlist for my future number 2. Thanks!

Archived