FM2011 My Little Story

I have been playing the FM Series since the 2005 incarnation and have thoroughly enjoyed every release.

However, I was finding FM11 really difficult and hard to get into. At first, I thought it was just me needing a break from FM in general, however, I kept coming back and getting really frustrated at the game, loosing stupid goals and generally failing where I had succeed before.

But everything changed yesterday, I decided to do a bit of research into what was going wrong and looked at the online manual....first for everything. In there I read up on the tactics and discovered that despite knowing about all the new tactical roles and positions, it actually does make a difference if you use them properly and take some time in setting up your tactics. Read a few more fan made guides, and decided to start a clean game a see what would happen with my new knowledge of tactics.

Started with Wolfsburg in the German First Division, actually listened to my assistant manager and set my formation to a recommended tactic, tweaked the player instructions and roles and to my surprise I was storming the league and only lost a single game by the January transfer window.

What really drove it all home was in the last two games on the season, I was top by a single point, Bayern Munich was second and Leverkusen were third. My last two games were against these two teams and I needed to win against Bayern Munich. Usually, I would have blindly click continue until the match and disregarded all advice given to me, but I actually stopped and read the scout report which suggested I change to a 4-5-1, play narrow and defensive. Fleetingly I made the changes, and instead of getting stuffed like I did earlier in the season by Bayern Munich, I romped to a 3-0 victory and the title was mine.

In conclusion, instead of moaning about the game being broken or too hard, I actually read up on what I was doing wrong and won the league in my first season.....my love for FM has returned.

great to hear. This version does have a lot of bugs but I'm adoring it as well, i have played this one more than any other, i have had a 47 season save and currently just restarted one as i was 30 seasons in and dominating too easily.

glad you are in love again!

47 Seasons! Thats some serious FM Gaming, Well Done! I was really pleased to find out it was my own rash attitude that was letting me down rather than the game....SI need to do a refresher course or video's :)

Thats a sweet story skybluedude. FM11 is funny like that though: It seems that once you find the right rhythm it is easier than previous releases, but until you learn to adjust tactics where required there is a significant barrier to entry.

I have been playing the FM Series since the 2005 incarnation and have thoroughly enjoyed every release.

However, I was finding FM11 really difficult and hard to get into. At first, I thought it was just me needing a break from FM in general, however, I kept coming back and getting really frustrated at the game, loosing stupid goals and generally failing where I had succeed before.

But everything changed yesterday, I decided to do a bit of research into what was going wrong and looked at the online manual....first for everything. In there I read up on the tactics and discovered that despite knowing about all the new tactical roles and positions, it actually does make a difference if you use them properly and take some time in setting up your tactics. Read a few more fan made guides, and decided to start a clean game a see what would happen with my new knowledge of tactics.

Started with Wolfsburg in the German First Division, actually listened to my assistant manager and set my formation to a recommended tactic, tweaked the player instructions and roles and to my surprise I was storming the league and only lost a single game by the January transfer window.

What really drove it all home was in the last two games on the season, I was top by a single point, Bayern Munich was second and Leverkusen were third. My last two games were against these two teams and I needed to win against Bayern Munich. Usually, I would have blindly click continue until the match and disregarded all advice given to me, but I actually stopped and read the scout report which suggested I change to a 4-5-1, play narrow and defensive. Fleetingly I made the changes, and instead of getting stuffed like I did earlier in the season by Bayern Munich, I romped to a 3-0 victory and the title was mine.

In conclusion, instead of moaning about the game being broken or too hard, I actually read up on what I was doing wrong and won the league in my first season.....my love for FM has returned.

Fantastic to hear mate, really pleased for you.

I have downloaded Wallys update thing and am about to start a new game with English League 2 side Swindon, any links as to what kind of things you looked at that helped you improve etc? Would love to have a nice game to keep me occupied this miserable summer!

I really do think the game needs an advisor for older players of the series, as well as the new comers. It has not been properly explained that you need to do these new things in order to have a more enjoyable game, rather than playing the game like you did in FM2007 and missing out on vital stuff.....or that could just be me!!

I really do think the game needs an advisor for older players of the series, as well as the new comers. It has not been properly explained that you need to do these new things in order to have a more enjoyable game, rather than playing the game like you did in FM2007 and missing out on vital stuff.....or that could just be me!!

I've been playing since CM2, and adapted with the game as it has changed through the years. I couldn't get to grips with FM10 at all and binned it before the third patch was released so I was determined to get FM11 right. After reading up on FM10 on the various fora and websites that abound about FM, I learned where I'd been going wrong, and why I'd not enjoyed the game as much as FM09 (or at all... 3 seasons, and 5 matches before I quit), and thus was able to "get" FM11 right.

I'm glad I did, I'm really enjoying my current save even though I hardly get chance to play, especially now I've more or less figured out the links between player/media interactions and team-talks. I've had two promotions and a minor trophy in 4 seasons and now that I'm building my Championship squad I'm focusing on the training more. Before I next save the game I'm intending to create an individual training regime for every player that hasn't already got one (most of the older players will be in a standard routine for their position atm).

I know people criticise the micro-managers like myself, but I do really think that the enjoyment I get far surpasses theirs simply because I can now usually pinpoint a reason why any player gives a particularly good or bad performance and so can 'recreate' the good or avoid the bad in the future - guaranteed! I can say, with 100% confidence, that X player performed the way he did because of x, y and z that I said/did leading up to and in the pre-match teamtalk. I can only do this now because I spent the time to read up on FM10. The change from 09 was quite profound, I felt, and I needed the info that others provided to figure out the "new" game. As I'd thrown away my FM10 disc when I quit, I didn't get chance to put into practice what I'd learnt from the forums until 11... and it's easy (as easy goes) now... and more importantly, it's FUN! Lots and lots of fun :D :D

I've been playing since CM2, and adapted with the game as it has changed through the years. I couldn't get to grips with FM10 at all and binned it before the third patch was released so I was determined to get FM11 right. After reading up on FM10 on the various fora and websites that abound about FM, I learned where I'd been going wrong, and why I'd not enjoyed the game as much as FM09 (or at all... 3 seasons, and 5 matches before I quit), and thus was able to "get" FM11 right.

I'm glad I did, I'm really enjoying my current save even though I hardly get chance to play, especially now I've more or less figured out the links between player/media interactions and team-talks. I've had two promotions and a minor trophy in 4 seasons and now that I'm building my Championship squad I'm focusing on the training more. Before I next save the game I'm intending to create an individual training regime for every player that hasn't already got one (most of the older players will be in a standard routine for their position atm).

I know people criticise the micro-managers like myself, but I do really think that the enjoyment I get far surpasses theirs simply because I can now usually pinpoint a reason why any player gives a particularly good or bad performance and so can 'recreate' the good or avoid the bad in the future - guaranteed! I can say, with 100% confidence, that X player performed the way he did because of x, y and z that I said/did leading up to and in the pre-match teamtalk. I can only do this now because I spent the time to read up on FM10. The change from 09 was quite profound, I felt, and I needed the info that others provided to figure out the "new" game. As I'd thrown away my FM10 disc when I quit, I didn't get chance to put into practice what I'd learnt from the forums until 11... and it's easy (as easy goes) now... and more importantly, it's FUN! Lots and lots of fun :D :D

Your experience sounds fantastic Lazaru5, I have not gone that in depth yet but can see it going that way. It is interesting how so many people who get frustrated with newer versions FM, always start by stating they are "Long Term CM/FM Players" , I really am sure that you cannot play the new FM's in the same way as the older one's.

Your experience sounds fantastic Lazaru5, I have not gone that in depth yet but can see it going that way. It is interesting how so many people who get frustrated with newer versions FM, always start by stating they are "Long Term CM/FM Players" , I really am sure that you cannot play the new FM's in the same way as the older one's.

The newer games are definitely different to the original, no question about it. Processing power alone has increased 1000fold since the early days of the series, and with all that processing power to be harnessed the game has expanded to do so.

However, I don't think that the game is any harder now than it was back then, I just think you need a few different skills nowadays. It's definitely more complex, but it's actually simple in it's complexity (I think) in that almost everything that happens in-game can be logically explained with relative ease if you have enough data to hand.

The beauty of FM is that it can have as much or as little depth as you want it to have; I, as an absolute FM junkie, crave for more depth - for me the FM world is my escape from the rigours of real-life and I try to make it seem as real as possible in the time that I'm playing it; others just want to "click and go" and get through 20 seasons in a lunch-break - that's definitely not my cup of tea but each to their own; and still others feel the need to use third party software to "enhance their gaming experience" - I find some of the software interesting, but I don't actually use it... I don't see the point. *shrugs*

I certainly think that a newbie to the series can be too easily swayed into using "enhancements" than trying to learn how to actually play the game which, IMHO, is a shame. The game is incredibly rewarding to play "out of the box" (plus patches :p) and you get a real sense of achievement that way, or I do at least. The newbie isn't given enough information in the leaflet that comes in the box and for that reason struggle to learn the game. At least there are forums like this one and many others where newbies can find help - I do wonder though, how many actually struggle on oblivious to the help that is available on the fora? Perhaps the leaflet should highlight the fact that help is available on internet forums and give the addresses of the most popular? At least that way people would be aware of the forums, if they needed help with anything, rather than struggling on alone or worse, not buying the game again.

i've been in love with that avatar since I saw it! like 15 years ago I think!

Back on topic, well done for the fantastic achievement there. It's true that you find people that are rushing through screens and then blaming the ai for being broken. Patience is a virtue isn't it!

Archived