I'm glad I'm not their manager...

So I was looking through all the English tables with one week of the season left and I happened across a very intriguing situation.

Things couldn't be much tighter in the Conference North. Two teams are vying for promotion to the BS Premier and currently stand as follows:

Boston Utd +32 86

Histon +35 85

So it's between the two and guess who they have on the last day?

Sat 4th May 2013 3.00PM

Boston United vs. Histon

That's going to be some game but I couldn't cope with the pressure. icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone been in that situation? Who do you think will win (Boston lost their last game or they'd be clear)?

So I was looking through all the English tables with one week of the season left and I happened across a very intriguing situation.

Things couldn't be much tighter in the Conference North. Two teams are vying for promotion to the BS Premier and currently stand as follows:

Boston Utd +32 86

Histon +35 85

So it's between the two and guess who they have on the last day?

Sat 4th May 2013 3.00PM

Boston United vs. Histon

That's going to be some game but I couldn't cope with the pressure. icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone been in that situation? Who do you think will win (Boston lost their last game or they'd be clear)?

In my first season at Bayern I hadn't performed as well as I had expected. It went to the last day of the season and Schalke were 2 points ahead with a GD 3 better than mine. We weren't playing each other but I had kinda resigned myself to losing out on the league.

Schalke 0-4 HSV

FC Bayern 4-0 Leverkusen

I won by 1 point and a better GD of 5, it was actually the best moment of my FM life.

I'm a point behind Arsenal with the end looming. I play them third to last game of the season. Since they're still in unstoppable mode (Emmanuel "40 goals a season" Adebayor is on fire), I'm a bit worried.

As Sir Al says, it's squeaky bottom time.

Bit like the Hereford vs Brighton match a few years back where the loser would get relegated to the Conference and the winner would get to retain their League 2 (or whatever it was called back then) status.

When you consider where the two clubs have been in the intervening years it was quite the massive match, with Hereford only recently getting back into the league and Brightom bouncing all the way up to The Championship...now of course they'll be back together in League 1 next season!

Have had a few similar situations myself. In FM07 one title race was between Manchester United, Manchester City and my Derby County and City played Utd on the penultimate weekend, we travelled to City midweek of the final week and then we went to Man Utd on the final day. A glance at the table before those games, without looking at the fixture list would have said that Derby were out of it, but we had one last chance, if we could win in Manchester twice in a week we could perhaps have done it. As it was Man City trashed Man Utd 6-0 meaning that even if we could beat them both we'd need a turn around of something like 9 goals on goal difference or Man City losing their final game. In the end it didn't matter - Man City were supreme and beat us as well to waltz away with the title.

I had an almost identical situation, I was 1 point behind 2nd (Top 2 promoted, no playoffs) in Czech Second Division with 1 game left. I was at home to the team in 2nd. Unfortunatley I played awful and lost 2-1, but the next dayI got offered the job of the team who beat me icon_biggrin.gif.

I had a situation like this on my game

table as follows

Pos Team Pts

1 Galatasaray 73

2 Besiktas 73

3 Trabzonspor 73

4 Kayserispor 71

Their was 2 games to go I played Trabzonspor beat them 5-1 Besiktas drew 2-2 and I went on to win the league

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ruttsie:

I had an almost identical situation, I was 1 point behind 2nd (Top 2 promoted, no playoffs) in Czech Second Division with 1 game left. I was at home to the team in 2nd. Unfortunatley I played awful and lost 2-1, but the next dayI got offered the job of the team who beat me icon_biggrin.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha great story Ruttsie. Did you take that job?

Also, for those interested, I just completed the weekend of the game in question. Boston won 3-1 and went up. I bet they were chuffed, especially as they lost the penultimate game which would have promoted them before the tough decider.

with my first season with arsenal, me and chelsea were at the top of the table with the same amount of points. i was checking my fixtures, when,i found out that tthe last game of the season was me v chelsea.

Sadly I just Lost lol

I remember playing as Tottenham for a challenge, and was lookign for 4th spot. 6games left and I was 2points off Liverpool in 3rd, 4points off United in 2nd, and 6points off Arsenal who were top. My next fixture was Arsenal. At half time I was 3-1 down and had 10men icon_frown.gif Yet miraculously, I turned things around and won the match 4-3!!!!!! icon_eek.gif Best ever moment in FM. Won the league by 1point I think. Wish I hadnt sold FM07 now, then I could have a look at the save.

i had 2 seasons where i finished 2nd to man utd despite massive points hauls. 88 points in season 1 and 92 points in season 2 and i still didnt win the league. season 2 i was actually going to win it wil 7 minutes left but i drew 0-0 at home to west ham and man utd got a late winner at wigan to win 1-0 and send them the title again

The nearest I have been is a Prem title race between Liverpool, Everton and Blackburn (me). Liverpool were away at Leicester who were 17th and I was away to Everton. I won 3-1 and Liverpool lost by the same scoreline to Leicester which meant that I won the title!

Every chance ive had to win the close title race even for League 2, I have managed to fail right at the last hurdle, or get a player send off in the last 10 mintues and concede icon_frown.gif

Wonderful example from last night:

Champions League semi-final - us (Spurs) v. hated rivals Chelski.

First leg at home and we're 0-2 down going into the last ten minutes. We pull a goal back and then, with the last kick of the game the horrendously out-of-form Torres equalises with his first goal in eight months.

Second leg - going into time-added-on it's 0-0 and we're going out on away goals. What happens? A priceless own-goal, by Wingeing Cap'n John Terry of all people.

Who'd be Terry or Grant? I'm glad I'm not their manager! You just can't make that up icon_biggrin.gif

in my current career im am AC Milan boss, but i decided to have a look at how my old team Hibernian were doing in the SPL, not bad 2nd behaind Celtic on GD with about 10 games to go.

The funny thing is that only 4 points seperate 1st to 11th, with top 5 all on the same number of points. Clyde sit bottom miles off the pace some 9 off top!!

Who said the SPL was closed shop?

Im currently Inter Milan and in the Champions league quarter Arsenal were playing AC.

AC lost the first leg 4-0 away and somehow miraculously won the 2nd leg 7-2 after Arsenal were 2-0 up!!!

didnt really matter as i went on to beat AC in the semi but then lost to Barca in the final.....

But im glad i wasnt Arsenals manager....

I've been close before, twice.

First time I remember, and the closest:

I wanted a win to garuntee the title as Aston Villa. Norwich and Portsmouth were both two points behind me. I was winning 2-0, when they did a comeback 2-3. Norwich were winning, Portsmouth were drawing, at this time, I'd lost the league. I got an 85th minute equaliser, which secured the league on my better goal difference. The table ended up:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

|Pos| Team |Pts.| GD |

| 1 | A. Villa.| 73 | +34|

| 2 | Norwich | 73 | +27|

| 3 |Portsmouth| 71 | +28|

</pre>

Squeaky bum time indeed.

Another time, I was 3rd, with two games to go. The top two teams were playing eachother and got the result I wanted, a draw. I unfortunately lost and drew my last two games, and ended up finishing third. Other than that, sounds like a good game. icon_smile.gif

Archived