Why is it in a player's history, the headline list shows only league performance?

I think it's becuase the League apps/goals is the most common method to present a player's stats in real life too, probably as it's easier to make comparisons between players.

It'd be more difficult and less immediate having to think "well, Player A played 56 games and scored 12 goals, but 6 games are domestic cup, 5 are Europan Cups and 3 are International fixtures, so the league total is 39/9, while Player B etc etc"

Also because the domestic season is the longest one and the "most relevant" in a player's resumé

It annoys me to be honest as I would prefer to have their overall stats shown.

Maybe some sort of option could be added in the preferences to switch whether you want it to be shown in overall statistics or league statistics, whether or not that can be done, idk. I would certainly like that though.

Seeing a goalkeepers overall appearances compared to league makes their history look so much better to me.

I think it's becuase the League apps/goals is the most common method to present a player's stats in real life too, probably as it's easier to make comparisons between players.

It'd be more difficult and less immediate having to think "well, Player A played 56 games and scored 12 goals, but 6 games are domestic cup, 5 are Europan Cups and 3 are International fixtures, so the league total is 39/9, while Player B etc etc"

Also because the domestic season is the longest one and the "most relevant" in a player's resumé

in the first instance, in the real world we have a choice of what stats we want to present for a debate. if your thing is to look at league stats you will provide that. if my thing is to look at all performances over a season that is my thing. i would strongly disagree that there is any sort of standard.

secondly when it comes to the game, the headline can be the overall number as a breakdown is provided in the bottom section as to how the average number was achieved.

If you click on each season the stats for each competition in that season should be at the bottom of the screen.

Unfortunately you have to total them up yourself though if you want data over a long period of time.

If you click on each season the stats for each competition in that season should be at the bottom of the screen.

Unfortunately you have to total them up yourself though if you want data over a long period of time.

I've tried that before and working out 10 years worth of overall stats for one player alone is a chore.

I've tried that before and working out 10 years worth of overall stats for one player alone is a chore.

Yeah I have to agree! It's better than nothing though, and probably the only way you will be able to see overall career stats so there isn't much we can do. Obviously if you are good at mental arithmetic it shouldn't be as hard :lol:

It's because the real stats they get for previous seasons are tallied that way, so the game does it for new seasons to maintain consistency in the list. Or at least that's the reason that was given a few years back.

Said it before but I cannot understand why there is not an option with a tick box in the corner. Show domestic league stats or career total stats, it really annoys me at times having to add everything up and it would take a long time to add up and find someones average career rating. I do not care about stats before my game had started only what happens after I start my save.

Said it before but I cannot understand why there is not an option with a tick box in the corner. Show domestic league stats or career total stats, it really annoys me at times having to add everything up and it would take a long time to add up and find someones average career rating. I do not care about stats before my game had started only what happens after I start my save.

I THINK, SI like things to look balanced, so showing only league games on the players history makes that screen look balanced throughout the whole game. Plus for the best part people really only look at league games throughout a players career, as Ter shows in that thread, who cares how many games player x played in the league cup in season y.

BUT i do agree this info should be easily available, especially since it is recorded in game, if you look at your season best 11 or overall best 11 it takes into account all your games for the season and not just league games. A toggle option or an extra screen on the player history would be good, one that shows only league games and one that will combine all comps since the game started.

I'm a big believer in only showing league stats. It's the only fair way to judge a players' performance.

No matter what league you are in, the teams your players come up against are roughly of a similar pedigree.

If you show all stats - then you're getting an unfair presentation, you're open to being mislead.

ie. I would hate to have bought a striker with 20+ goals within his stats, only to find out that 3 of them came in the league cup, 4 in the FA Cup, 6 in Europe, and only 7 in the league. Who knows what level of team this striker has been knocking them in against. Crawley? Scunthorpe? Sarajevo? You'd end up with a Jason Roberts instead of a Jermain Defoe. (sorry Jason...)

• Administrators

It's partly due to research, it's quite difficult to get 'all' the match appearances for all the leagues around the world so it was changed to only show league appearances. I believe this is also the case on player profiles on wikipedia. From a personal perspective having the choice would be nice and it's something we have considered but for the sake of consistency that's why it current is how it is.

i love it as it is, i hated it on the old fm's and cm's as i thought once i started it lookd stupid, id look in someone history and see their 35 games with 14 goals scored and then...

In CM4 i had craig bellamy with 45 goals in 54 games, but it looks stupid, i only want to see their league stats shown as they are when i load up the game, i find it easier to judge a player. referring to SWaRFeGa's example, i dont want to buy a 20 goals a season striker, to find he scored 6 in one league cup match against Bath and another 4 in 2 other league cup games, what a waste of money that would be!

I do prefer overall stats, simply because I have players who play in mainly just CL/LC/FA cup games, so when I look in history, it makes me feel as if they aren't doing anything, when in fact, if you click on the part it comes up with all games, they have played like 6 league games but 10 champions league games, 5 league cup games and 4 fa cup games....with a rating of 7.20 for example. Obviously 25 games looks more useful than 6!

yeah i do agree with that, sometimes i do feel bad cos it looks like a player has only played 12 games, but actually made about 25 overall. But even so, i do still prefer it as it is now

Overstats can tell alot about a player. Does just league appearances really represent the whole career of a player? Champions league is also important to players.

Someone mentioned goals against minnows are not important. Tell that to a great striker like Romario who even includes unofficial matches goals to make it to a 1000.

For some players like me, I believe they want to see who made the most appearances or goals in CL, FA Cup or League Cup. Why not just give us a toggle option? For people who prefers the present stats, they can just leave it as it.

just an option at the start of the game would be suffice.

Where would you backtrack it to?

Would think someone in SI Towers would have a hard task to find out who scored a goal in a preliminary round of some random Asia cup game to add it into that players season stats pre 2010/11

It would be inconsistant to only apply it from now on

It's partly due to research, it's quite difficult to get 'all' the match appearances for all the leagues around the world so it was changed to only show league appearances. I believe this is also the case on player profiles on wikipedia. From a personal perspective having the choice would be nice and it's something we have considered but for the sake of consistency that's why it current is how it is.
Then make it default to league, with the option of toggling various options for everything or nothing and everything in-between.

Maybe put in a caveat at the bottom of the screen that for real players, all data might not be available.

I agree that it is irritating, but see where SI are coming from with consistency. However, like it the clubs history, a drop down box with 'All competitive appearnces', 'League appearances', 'Cup appearances', 'Continental Appearances' and 'International Appearances' is something that could be considered? I appreciate its a minor thing, but it's a inor thing that crops up again and again - the coding would take a bit of effort, but it would add to the usability (something SI really like).

To save SI of the problem of finding all the goals. My suggestion would be, data researchers will key in just the league goals as usual. But from the day a player starts a game, the game will start to tally goals of different competitions. That would surely solve the problem of the researchers of finding the data of past goals.

This is correct. It happens to annoy me a bit there too. But it kinda makes sense. It streamlines the information as most leagues play roughly the same amount of league games a season, and it's of course easier to get that information than the number of national cup games and whatnot.

But it would be great with an option in the future (FM13 at the earliest I suppose). Just a dropdown box with the option to show the options currently in the box at the bottom of the player profile. But keep it like it is today, so international matches aren't included in club matches. Doesn't matter that all this isn't available in the database. What is important is that we can get especially the full overview after 10 or 20 seasons in the game. Impractical having to add together the 16 seasons your legendary striker have played just to see how many matches he really has.

So we'd have these

-All competitive matches (for Club)

-League

-Cup

-Continental

-International

That way people can choose what they want.

Archived