3 Games which made me delete my save.

I'm Liverpool and 5 games into the season.

Away to Blackburn - We played fantastic football, dominate the match (61% possession, 4 clear cut chances). In the 72nd minute, a long ball forward and they snatch an equaliser (their first clear cut chance), completely against the run of play. Ok it happens, I bite my lip and move on.

Home to Wolves - Again, good performance, not quite as good as last match, but we do enough to deserve the win, however after 90 mins, (54% possession, 3 clear cut chances, and around 20 shots) the game finishes 0-0. Now I'm getting annoyed, but we carry on.

Away to OB (Euro Cup) - We take an early lead through a penalty, but throughout the rest of the first half we scupper another 3 clear cut chances, and I thought after 40 mins 'Its going to end 1-1'. How right I was, again, against the run of play they snatch an equaliser (long shot saved by Reina, he dies on the floor, they player taps it in). We dominated the match (4 clear cut chances to 1).

I accept these happen, but 3 in a row really took the biscuit for me. If we had played badly, fine they deserve it. But we dominated each game, so as the old cliche goes, it can't be my tactics, because quite simply we deserved to win every game. With all the stress, I just gave up, and deleted the game.

Bad luck happens to everyone. It's not often that you get so unlucky three times in a row (if you're not over exaggerating) but it does happen irl and with 11 CCC's in three matches, you have to be wondering why they aren't being converted. Poor strikers, too quick tempo, goalkeepers having good days and a load of other possibilities could be to blame but you can't blame the game for having a luck element.

I'm not sure of the purpose of this thread, you don't ask for advice or give any info as to what tactics you are using. Despite what you think they're may be tactical alterations that could help with your scoring problem, or it could just be bad luck over a whopping 3 games. I'll through a few ideas out there, though there isn't much to go on.

Game 1/ Dominating possession = nothing in reality, but you do claim to have created 4 ccc (of which there are various degrees), which is decent, but nowhere near a guarantee of goals. It reads like the equalizer was a 1 v 1 with no defender putting the striker under pressure. Most strikers will finish these off, most 1 v 1's are missed when a defender is in close proximity. Could be a case of bad luck here, just one of those games.

Game 2/ We can discount possession, it really doesn't mean anything. 3 ccc really isn't that many. Like AcidBurn says, how many of the other 20 shots were legit chances versus long range or under heavy pressure from defenders?

Game 3/ Only goal was a penalty, 4 ccc on FM isn't as many as you seem to think it is, and again there are varying degrees of ccc. The opposition got the clearest of ccc with a rebound tap in.

Without any other info to go on, these are the best conclusions I can come up with. You're not really creating enough ccc to be guaranteed 2 or 3 goals a game and the ccc you have giving up have been complete sitters, easy goals. Have you used this tactic successfully in other saves? It could just be a short run of tough luck, or it could be a slight tactical tweak required, like defending a little deeper or lowering tempo a couple of notches. You're playing against much lower profile teams in the 3 games described, so can we assume they defender deep in numbers limited the opportunity to create more ccc and as you pushed players forward they attempted to counter attack?

And ndebergerac, I was just explained why I was annoyed, and hoping others could point me in the right path as to why this happened and what I can do to stop it happening so often.

Fair enough.

I'd have to agree with previous posters. It may just be bad luck, but it sounds to me like you're playing with one or more of a) too high a tempo, b) too attacking a mentality, c) too deep a defensive line.

EDIT: A brief personal take on the problems with a, b and c:

a) Too High a Tempo: Players are too eager to pass quickly, so they are more liable to make bad passes. Additionally you are a high reputation team so your opponents will generally be sitting tight, deep and playing defensively. You'll need to be patient to expose them.

b) Too Attacking a Mentality: Players will be snatching at chances and trying to win the game themselves, rather than or playing in a teammate or waiting for the right opportunity. They'll take shots from range rather than making sure from close-up.

c) Too Deep a Defensive Line: When your opponent breaks for a counterattack they have space to run into and will have multiple onside passes they can make. Because you are a better side and are attacking most of the match your midifeld and attack will be high up the pitch, leaving your defence isolated on the counter. You might also be missing out on putting extra attacking pressure on your opponents goal when in possession and recycling attacks.

And ndebergerac, I was just explained why I was annoyed, and hoping others could point me in the right path as to why this happened and what I can do to stop it happening so often.

The bottom line is you can't, either in FM or in real life.

One of the reasons everyone watches sport is because the best person/team doesn't always win, if they did no-one would bother. As for football it doesn't matter how well/badly a team plays the only thing that matters is goals and each one that goes in has a huge impact on the game.

So what you do is set up your team/tactics to give you the best chance of winning and hope for the best.

I'm Liverpool and 5 games into the season.

Away to Blackburn - We played fantastic football, dominate the match (61% possession, 4 clear cut chances). In the 72nd minute, a long ball forward and they snatch an equaliser (their first clear cut chance), completely against the run of play. Ok it happens, I bite my lip and move on.

Home to Wolves - Again, good performance, not quite as good as last match, but we do enough to deserve the win, however after 90 mins, (54% possession, 3 clear cut chances, and around 20 shots) the game finishes 0-0. Now I'm getting annoyed, but we carry on.

Away to OB (Euro Cup) - We take an early lead through a penalty, but throughout the rest of the first half we scupper another 3 clear cut chances, and I thought after 40 mins 'Its going to end 1-1'. How right I was, again, against the run of play they snatch an equaliser (long shot saved by Reina, he dies on the floor, they player taps it in). We dominated the match (4 clear cut chances to 1).

I accept these happen, but 3 in a row really took the biscuit for me. If we had played badly, fine they deserve it. But we dominated each game, so as the old cliche goes, it can't be my tactics, because quite simply we deserved to win every game. With all the stress, I just gave up, and deleted the game.

Look at Chelsea in reality last season. Time and time again they controlled matches, only to throw it away late in the game, or fail to score and end up with a 0-0 draw.

If you can't stand losing you're playing the wrong game. I mean, I'm currently managing a team in Argentina, and our best player is about the same standard as the worst player at almost every other club in the league, I'm being dominated in every match and any point I get feels like nothing short of a miracle.

Have I quit? No I bloody well have not.

Suck it up and move on.

this is an issue with playing as liverpool, BUT being honest i think si have got it right, bearing in mind the stats/team is based upon Rafa's last season.. how many times during that year (even into Hodgson's cameo) did liverpool play "lesser" opposition and fail to get the win, and only managed draws/defeats?? when i play these games i ALWAYS go for a more physical CB pairing (Skrtel/Carra or Dann/Carra) and a holding/DLP midfielder on defend duty.. dependant on the oppsition team i'll tweak my tactic's accordingly.. take wolves for example.. i

in my saves wolves ALWAYS layout the same.. four defenders, 1 holding midfielder, a flat four infront of them an a lone striker.. they arn't a very attacking team and if they're going to beat me this is the best way for them to do that.. pack the centre and go for the 1-0.. so i adjust my tactics whether home or away to them, from play through the center (which is how i want the team to play the majority of the time)to down either flank..

Watch the match unfold and adjust your teams mentality.. for example if they're having a good spell i'll tell the team to control the game, when im back enjoying the run of the green i'll switch it back to attacking mentality..

Bear in mind what type of team your playing and set your team out to cope with them.. Teams like Blackburn,Bolton & Wolves dominate matches through strength & aggression.. not by out playing you.. if you dont have physical players tell your players to go in hard.. yes you need to be careful about bookings but doing something that simple against these teams can drastically improve your teams performance's against them.. as even the weaker players go out with a no prisoners attitude..

just beacuse i like my liverpool side's to play a nice passing game doesnt mean im not prepared to play in the mud when the occasion calls for it...

Fair enough.

I'd have to agree with previous posters. It may just be bad luck, but it sounds to me like you're playing with one or more of a) too high a tempo, b) too attacking a mentality, c) too deep a defensive line.

I play attacking, with quick tempo, wide width and pushing up.

I play attacking, with quick tempo, wide width and pushing up.

So from this bit of info I can imagine straight away that your defence is too high up the pitch and stretched. This is why long balls over the top seem to be working against you. You need to bring in your width slightly and also dont push up as much. Pretty obvious advice really. You can still maintain attacking width by telling your wide players to 'hug touchline' and also with in-game shouts.

Sorry but I fail to see why you delete your save.

I am now the best team in Europe(Ipswich save).

I have played 7 games of the new season and yet to concede a goal,1 draw and 6 good wins(1 at 5-0 and 1 at 6-0),I then go into the CL(CC)and lose 0-1 to a much lesser team even though I have full control of the game,also I lose to Fulham who are now in the 1st Division 2-0 in the league cup again I have full control of the game,I guess the game has it in for me with cup competitions but even though I scratch my head it is not something to delete my save over.

As it haven't been said already, I have to say it myself: it's your tactics.

On a more constructive note, I believe it's down to morale and confidence of players. What was your team motivation during your 3 games? How did you handled team-talks? I assume you wasn't happy with poor draw against weaker team.

I've noticed few of these poor runs myself and it very often goes down to morale and confidence (players are complacent in first game, then after poor result morale drops and they become nervous (while their manager becomes more demanding in next game).

What helps there is proper rotation of players to prevent these runs at first place, also proper answers to journalists and team talks to prevent complacency and avoid nervousness.

To draw a parallel in real life, these runs happen here too. Remember Chelsea after winter break last season?

Are you suggesting he started whacking off instead?

Get your mind out of the gutter :D

maybe your more suited to simpler games like fifa
Go and play FIFA, football manager requires more effort and commitment.

You two be nice.

First off, I dont like the CCC stat. I think people focus on it too much. Personally, I ignore it....in fact, I think it should be removed altogether.

I've been where he has been; losing when you are dominating your opponent can be frustrating. The problem is that when we have a way we want our teams to play, we try not to divert from it too much even when we are desperately trying to change our fortunes.

I've learned a lot from people on these forums so I how to adapt to different situations so I suggest asking questions and reading different threads in the tactics forum.

And good luck in your next save.

Archived