Live exchange rate in FM?

Hi,

I know this is probably interesting for 1% of the FM players, but here it goes anyway...

At some point, when creating each new version of Football Manager, a currency conversion table must be created and stored somewhere in the game, taking (I presume) the exchange rate of that week or some kind of average...

My suggestion is to have live currency in Football Manager. Say every week, the game should download the current exchange rate and this should have an effect on the market as a whole, if the fluctuations are significant enough! Say the Euro falls drastically in the next couple of years... You would surely see more players looking to play in countries like the UK or Switzerland, whose currency would consequently be stronger - meaning higher salaries even if in absolute terms it wasn't changing that much!...

Just an idea. Maybe worth it to see how doable it is...

Cheers,

CHV

• Administrators

Problem is, FM doesn't move in 'real time' so how would it work? You could realistically play an entire season in one days heavy play, but the 'conversion' rate would change daily IRL - only if the two rates of time matched up would it make any sense. Sorry.

That's an opinion. I even said "every week" or whenever it's technically doable... You could even have savegames played in 2020 and the exchange rate should be the same as it is IRL on the day in which you're playing...

If you convert, today, 10 000 British pounds = 11 330.55 Euros (from Google). But if you check in the game, you'll find that 10 000 GBP = 11 538.46 EUR... Regardless of whether people agree or not, I would still like to see the values making sense "today". :)

not something i can honestly say i would like to see, especially if it means you need to be connnected to the internet to get it, i mean most of us are but some are not. Plus id imagine it means SI would need to make some kind of 'deal' with a company etc to provide the stats everyday to input them to the server to upload. Really dont see it happening or that it really would add that much to the game.

But thats only my opinion :)

Why currency conversion remains fairly stable from the release of one FM to another. The release date exchange rate was 1.18 euros to every pound now its 1.13. It really would make marginal differences considering the amount of money that football clubs operate on. Not only that but I imagine it would result in some horrendous transfer markets for example if the Pound was overly strong if the game simulated a Euro crash to something like 2 euros to every pound where it would make a massive difference.

Why currency conversion remains fairly stable from the release of one FM to another. The release date exchange rate was 1.18 euros to every pound now its 1.13. It really would make marginal differences considering the amount of money that football clubs operate on. Not only that but I imagine it would result in some horrendous transfer markets for example if the Pound was overly strong if the game simulated a Euro crash to something like 2 euros to every pound where it would make a massive difference.

hmm, good points. Perhaps it could be an option when setting up the game: "Allow currency fluctiations (yes/no)"

To be honest, i never had any feeling the different valuta had any impact. They probably just go from the pound, and whenever you pick another one, only the displayed value is different (adjusted to feel realistic), but in the engine it's still calculating the pound. Changing the valute YOU use, has nothing to do with how players, clubs or countries value their money in the game. Valuta-options are merely a cosmetic detail you can pick, instead of something game changing.

Hi,

I know this is probably interesting for 1% of the FM players, but here it goes anyway...

At some point, when creating each new version of Football Manager, a currency conversion table must be created and stored somewhere in the game, taking (I presume) the exchange rate of that week or some kind of average...

My suggestion is to have live currency in Football Manager. Say every week, the game should download the current exchange rate and this should have an effect on the market as a whole, if the fluctuations are significant enough! Say the Euro falls drastically in the next couple of years... You would surely see more players looking to play in countries like the UK or Switzerland, whose currency would consequently be stronger - meaning higher salaries even if in absolute terms it wasn't changing that much!...

Just an idea. Maybe worth it to see how doable it is...

Cheers,

CHV

Not to be harsh, but that idea is poorly thought through and makes little to no sense in the context of the game.

Why?

For what reason would they allow the values of the currency in the real world affect the game. The gameworld and the real world are completely different. Especially since you can play through years in days. If there was a system within the game that simulated an economy, that would be a different matter all together, but the price of eggs in china today (in 2011) shouldn't affect my gameworld in 2023. If however the idea was having economies in the game, that could work. I wouldn't envy the dev team though!

Another idea is that you have a "universal currency", that is you pick a base currency and convert all from it. The actual values that you see are then just a conversion of that, but the effect of the values is purely cosmetic.

Not sure I see the reasoning behind this suggestion. It's such an ancillary, and unnecessary, addition to the game. As Menion said, it wouldn't affect your purchasing power and, as Neil said, the rates would never be true-to-life anyway. It'd entail SI second-guessing the forex market and I daresay if they could do that accurately, they'd have given up programming computer games some years ago.

This is another micro-managing feature that could screw up long game saves if not implemented right. Personally I like to micro-manage but can live without this.

I'm not sure its a major factor in a players thinking. They ask for an amount and then get offered an amount, then decide yes or no. And so many factors effect currency IRL, would we need news items to explain why the pound has dropped or risen ie bank collapse's, terrorist attacks, oil spills.......

I love out of the box thinking but this is a bit far for me, so im out!

Archived