How much over the recommended database size do you go?

I know it's down to personal preference but how much over do you go on the recommended database size, if at all?

My computer is limited to just a 20,000 player database and I'm tempted to push it higher but don't want to get into a game and find the computer can't cope.

i feel that the stars etc are rubbish indicators. I have a very high spec pc, which runs some high load stuff very easily, but according to FM i can only run 20,000 players? I run 25 leagues, custom DB that started with over 100,000 players and im now 35 seasons in and it hasnt even slowed down!

unfortunately, its trial and error.

My computer gets 5 stars from FM and says the limit I should play at is 125,000. I recently started a new game (in which I manage Holland) with a database of 244,000 players (All players based in Africa, South America and Europe) and all European competitions as playable. Of course it is a bit slower with such a large amount of available players in the game, but I can say it doesn't give me any problems. I think you have to be aware that with every player you add, the game will be x miliseconds slower. But I don't think the recommended limit is the limit you should ultimately play at.

I think it all depends on how fast or slow you are happy for your game to run. I play a network game with just England Premier League and Championship loaded and 8,000 players, it WHIPS by, as you need on a network game.

In my single player career save, as I like depth I am running England, Scotland, Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, France, Portugal, Belgium(view only), Poland(view only), Ukraine, Russia, Argentina(view only), Brazil(view only) with retained players from Europe and South America which totals about 225,000+ players and yeah it crawls and yeah it sometimes takes upwards of 15mins to process especially at the end of a season and upwards of 30mins at the end of transfer windows, but I don't mind, I like the sense of depth it gives me.

So really it is all to do with how speedy you are happy to play with?

I always load lots of player at the start of the game to get a lot of regens as well, but only few leagues (ca. 5-10). What I do is loading players from top division club of all continets plus the players based in the nation I am managing in via a custom data base. This will add up to about 100,000 - 130,000 players while 125,000 are recommended. It will take very long to set up the database but the game itself processes quite fast because of the few leagues loaded.

FM recommends 125000 players on my "high end" computer, but I usually start with all leagues active and end up with over 200000 players. The game runs fine, even after a couple of season. It's a little bit slow sometimes, but I don't mind as I play the game in the background while I do other stuff on the computer.

• 5 years later...
On 27/07/2011 at 09:56, Viking said:

FM recommends 125000 players on my "high end" computer, but I usually start with all leagues active and end up with over 200000 players. The game runs fine, even after a couple of season. It's a little bit slow sometimes, but I don't mind as I play the game in the background while I do other stuff on the computer.

Same here. The game thinks I shouldn't play more than 125.000, but I load up about 180.000 at the start of a new save. The game runs along fine for me.

Having this very dilemma at the minute. Just what setup to use? I want to get a balanced game world for a long term game. I loaded all European nations with top 2 leagues, plus the home nations and Ireland with all leagues. View only for rest of the world. I loaded all continental and national reputation players from South America.

My PC recommends not going over 75,000 and won't let me go over 100,000. I think this setup on a small database gave me about 96,000 players. I holidayed one season before starting to look for a job. I encountered an out of memory crash when I viewed the first goal of the Champions League Final. Really annoying as I was hoping it would just slow down, and not crash. 

When i checked the add/remove league screen my player count had gone to 102,000. Maybe the regents had pushed me over my PC maximum limit which causes the crash????

On 27/07/2011 at 08:56, Viking said:

125,000 is the upper limit as higher than that will see any game slow down as you play more seasons, I always ignore it & can easily run over 200,000 without issue.

Anyone who is getting a lower number should avoid exceeding it as the limit will be based on hardware resources & OS type, going above the value will risk game shutdowns, mainly due to insufficient system memory.

Archived