My wish for FM12

For FM12,i would love to be able to become a teams under18/reserve team manager. Without tweaking the games idea too much, it would just be exactly the same as being a countrys youth coach.

You would not be given any transfer funds but more, you would be able to go out and scout young players and recommend them to your board/first team manager.

For eg, i would love to be man utds reserve manager for a few seasons. I think it would be a great challenge and good basis upon which to develop as a manager.

Anyone feel this could work?

But you still get to manage the club and develop the young players, i dont no about you but the youth set up atm in FM is rubbish, better players dont get picked. You would get to decide what first team players u cud pick. I find the who idea really exciting

But you still get to manage the club and develop the young players, i dont no about you but the youth set up atm in FM is rubbish, better players dont get picked. You would get to decide what first team players u cud pick. I find the who idea really exciting

You can already do that.

You can already do that.

Granted, it was poorly worded but you know what he meant :p

it has it's pros and cons. All in all, there isn't a big enough call for it to be put in the game. Too much man power required for something that doesn't add an awful lot to the game.

Granted, it was poorly worded but you know what he meant :p

it has it's pros and cons. All in all, there isn't a big enough call for it to be put in the game. Too much man power required for something that doesn't add an awful lot to the game.

It's been discussed to death, along with 'Chairman mode'.

"I'll start as under 18s manager - if I do well, the board will make me first team boss!!"

This happens very, very rarely in real life.

Surely you're better off starting way down the leagues, rather than as Man United reserves - this doesn't sound very challenging at all. Reserve football is generally about fitness and development, it coems before winning games.

It's been discussed to death, along with 'Chairman mode'.

"I'll start as under 18s manager - if I do well, the board will make me first team boss!!"

This happens very, very rarely in real life.

there is quite a few cases of youth team bosses becoming the clubs manager eventually, off the top of my head i can think of two (Guardiola and Sean Dyche [the currant watford manager])

I personally think this is something that will happen more and more in football, i mean atm you have someone like Dennis Bergkamp who is the Ajax youth team boss atm, i can easily see him stepping up eventually (if he does well) or you could look at Ole Gunnar, who was Utd's head youth team coach and is now Molde's manager in Norway, id like this to happen if im honest, i think it would make a long term game much more interesting

Other clubs can look at what you do by judging your success as a manager of a club, so I don't see this as being very helpful.

The whole idea has been mentioned before, and while the basic concept seems an interesting idea, with the current youth/reserve setup in FM it wouldn't be that good. If Youth Academies were more in-depth then maybe it would be better.

Not sure about scouting players, since your scouts tend to do this for you.

In my current game I am focussing on youth, simply scouting thousands of young players across the world and buying the best ones, developing them and hopefully see them break into the first team. I can do all this as well as being first team boss.

I suppose if you really want to practice this, you can take control of your youth team and let your assistant take control of your first team by going on holiday.

The whole idea has been mentioned before, and while the basic concept seems an interesting idea, with the current youth/reserve setup in FM it wouldn't be that good. If Youth Academies were more in-depth then maybe it would be better.

That's the biggest issue really. The structure for u18 and res is far too weak to make a decent game out of it. It would require a huge amount of work to make it worthwhile.

there is quite a few cases of youth team bosses becoming the clubs manager eventually, off the top of my head i can think of two (Guardiola and Sean Dyche [the currant watford manager])

I personally think this is something that will happen more and more in football, i mean atm you have someone like Dennis Bergkamp who is the Ajax youth team boss atm, i can easily see him stepping up eventually (if he does well) or you could look at Ole Gunnar, who was Utd's head youth team coach and is now Molde's manager in Norway, id like this to happen if im honest, i think it would make a long term game much more interesting

A) Guardiola was not the youth coach, he was coach of the B team, a compeditive club tied to Barcelona. These are two different things.

B) Two is not a lot in a sample size unless your total population is five or under. It actually indicates the opposite of what you are trying to prove, that the situation is indeed very rare.

The fact of the matter is that very few managers go from the reserves into the senior team at the same club, and it is usually as interim appointment after a sacking (to give time for a search for a more high profile manager to be done). And of these times the few who do get the job permanently do solely because of their performance as interim boss of the first team and not because of any job they did with the reserves (no matter how good that job was).

I think the idea of being able to start a game as an under 18/reserve team manager should be considered. Would bring another possible dimension to a career game plus wouldnt be too tough to implement considering you can already control youth team, reserves etc

A) Guardiola was not the youth coach, he was coach of the B team, a compeditive club tied to Barcelona. These are two different things.

B) Two is not a lot in a sample size unless your total population is five or under. It actually indicates the opposite of what you are trying to prove, that the situation is indeed very rare.

The fact of the matter is that very few managers go from the reserves into the senior team at the same club, and it is usually as interim appointment after a sacking (to give time for a search for a more high profile manager to be done). And of these times the few who do get the job permanently do solely because of their performance as interim boss of the first team and not because of any job they did with the reserves (no matter how good that job was).

your right lol, after some searching, i could actually only find one other manager who started as the clubs youth coach, Derek McInnes at St. Johnstone, i did think i would have found a lot more so it seems its not as common as i thought, i still like the idea for FM though though

Archived