Current ability/ potential ability vs Top class training

Hey everyone, im new here and i have a little experiment id like to perform/ share with you all.

basically the idea is can i take a random youngish player from a Blue square league to a prem team and use my training to see if i can turn him into a decent player. I would like to see just how limited a player is through CA/PA and whether by taking a low CA/PA player in a poor training environment into a good training enviroment can provoke some type of change.

The team i have decided to start with is Spurs, mainly as i would like one last save before FM12 and as my username shows i am a massive spurs fan!!

and the player i decided to look at is Andy Cook, a 19 y/o striker from Barrow whom my scouts rate at current half a star and potential half a star, i paid 220k for him (since i am experimenting i thought i would compensate appropriately) and placed him on a good wage of £2000 p/w

so far i have bought him on as a sub in a pre season friendly and he scored!, although the opposition were v-poor, more a fitness excercise than anything. I dont plan on giving him much game time and he'll be spending most of his time playing reserve team football however he is on one of my training schedules that ive used quite successfully in bringing through youngsters in the past.

Thats all for now but if there is any interest i shall keep you updated

Lattspurs

I don't think training plays much part in regards to CA/PA. If a player has a high potential ability, he turns out quality regardless. I think it's something that needs addressing.

For me when I know a player has a low CA/PA, I don't take them serious as a player. For example, Joey Barton in FM11 has a pretty average ability, as does Nolan. But in real life, last season for Newcastle they were outstanding.

If they were a way the game could incorporate that undetermined skill and ability of a player, rather than having set values, then it would reach a whole new level of realism.

Both Barton and Nolan have the attributes to play top class football in FM if you know how to use them.

But yes, PA as it currently is is far too limiting. Loosening the PA bands and improving the development of CA would be the first step to improving it imo.

Training only affects how fast the player reaches his potential and how those new CA points are distributed in attributes. A player with low potential won't become a good player, and that's that.

I really do like helping my academy youngsters reach whatever potential they have, though. So I tutor them and let them stay until they are released when their youth contracts run out at the age of 19(?). I play in Spain with Las Palmas, so if the academy players are good enough at that point I give them a new contract and move them to the B team (Las Palmas At.). I also sign 3-4 wonderkid potential youngsters per year, building my team on them. This way, the youth team usually go through their league undefeated winning with at least five goals every game, something which lets the youngsters develop optimally.

I agree, and obviously by logic, andy cook should reach is PA then no further, but i would like to know just how the change of facilities/quality of players around you affects this? For instance

- Will he reach his PA quicker?

-Will his attributes improve to the point, if played correctly he may be usefull?

-Can a poor player in a much, much better team influence the way he plays?

-Tutoring?

-Form- some fairly bad players play very well against me, why couldnt this work for me?

Hopefully something happens, if he just stays as he is by the end of a couple of seasons, i may release him as this is a side-note on an acual save im working on!

I agree, and obviously by logic, andy cook should reach is PA then no further, but i would like to know just how the change of facilities/quality of players around you affects this? For instance

- Will he reach his PA quicker?

-Will his attributes improve to the point, if played correctly he may be usefull?

-Can a poor player in a much, much better team influence the way he plays?

-Tutoring?

-Form- some fairly bad players play very well against me, why couldnt this work for me?

Hopefully something happens, if he just stays as he is by the end of a couple of seasons, i may release him as this is a side-note on an acual save im working on!

Well, his CA is one thing. His attributes and what he contributes on the pitch is another. A two-star player can contribute more than a four-star player in the same position if the former fits the tactic better than the latter.

Well, his CA is one thing. His attributes and what he contributes on the pitch is another. A two-star player can contribute more than a four-star player in the same position if the former fits the tactic better than the latter.

QTF, exactly this.

Very true, so the point is if he does well in my reserves and i decide to give him a few games an he does well lets say hypothetically he played 25 games with a 7.98 average (unlikely but theoretically possible) rating I'd then play him for a whole season, i wonder if the AI would change anything, Value, reputation- imagine a 100 ca/pa (again random) player with a prem value, a high wage and a few caps- thats kinda what im hoping to achieve, although i doubt its possible, id like to prove it absolutley, one way or the other-

Interesting side note- His value has increased to 250k, 30k more than what i signed him for! the first significant change

I think the biggest difference that can be made, is if you play him regularly. I've noticed this in past iterations that having 1-3 players who aren't really top tier can really shine even in CL when they've been playing regularly for years and are on a team that plays consistently the same players and plays consitently good. Heck I had a striker barely good enough for a bottom tier Norwegian PL club decide the champions league quarter final for me on his own.

Archived