Manchester United - Cannot Score - So Many Chances??

I play a high tempo, short passing, high pressing game.

I create over 20 chances nearly all the time:

I would reckon an average of 4/5 1on1s with the keeper every game.

But ye, Rooney, Hernandez, Hazard, Nani, Giggs, Valencia, Lukaku just dont score goals.

Shots are going ridiculously off target, some of the 1on1s go so wide its madness.

Why is this? Most of these are already quality players, even on the default training schedules they should still be able to shoot.

Im past the point of laughing it off and trying to figure it out, its downright infuriating now. Just lost too Arsenal and West Ham.

---

Funny thing is I use the same tactic with the same players (even Hazard) on my other save, yet on there I have played 26 scored 77+ and Hernandez himself is on 27. But two or three more games where I drop points in this save with my mates and I wont have a chance of winning the league, il be fighting for champo league, or my job.

The only advice i could give is maybe lower the tempo, i'm no tactical genius but short passing and high tempo rarely go well together. Even if you want to keep your short passing and high tempo try lowering the tempo just a little bit and see if that makes a difference, perhaps their chances are coming too quickly that they're difficult to finish.

The only advice i could give is maybe lower the tempo, i'm no tactical genius but short passing and high tempo rarely go well together. Even if you want to keep your short passing and high tempo try lowering the tempo just a little bit and see if that makes a difference, perhaps their chances are coming too quickly that they're difficult to finish.

Well I was off the opinion that it wouldnt really be my tactics. (Thats why its not in the tactics forum)

I mean, high tempo short passing is what is successfully allowing me to create so many chances, the creation side of it seems to be fine.

My strikers are missing all kinds of chances, long 1on1s, quick flashes across the goal, chances where they have time to ready themselves, everything!

I dont really want to alter the tempo as im pretty sure I have put it on the lowest "quick" that there is on the slider.

===

I would approximate that 1 in every 3/4 of my attempts on goal is a long shot, so I will make some tactical alterations regarding long shots but I dont think that this is the problem. More discussion would be welcome.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Well I was off the opinion that it wouldnt really be my tactics. (Thats why its not in the tactics forum)

I mean, high tempo short passing is what is successfully allowing me to create so many chances, the creation side of it seems to be fine.

My strikers are missing all kinds of chances, long 1on1s, quick flashes across the goal, chances where they have time to ready themselves, everything!

I dont really want to alter the tempo as im pretty sure I have put it on the lowest "quick" that there is on the slider.

===

I would approximate that 1 in every 3/4 of my attempts on goal is a long shot, so I will make some tactical alterations regarding long shots but I dont think that this is the problem. More discussion would be welcome.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

High tempo also means more long shots as well fwiw, if a team is playing with quick passing and looking to attack quickly and they can't find a way through the defence they'll be more than happy to shoot from range.

High tempo also means more long shots as well fwiw, if a team is playing with quick passing and looking to attack quickly and they can't find a way through the defence they'll be more than happy to shoot from range.

So I could counter this by setting all but 1 or 2 players to rarely shoot from range?

i want them to do quick short passing so they can keep the ball movinga bout and change the tempo as and when they want to, to really cut open the defence. If they cant find a way through, id rather they play it back and start over again.

So I could counter this by setting all but 1 or 2 players to rarely shoot from range?

i want them to do quick short passing so they can keep the ball movinga bout and change the tempo as and when they want to, to really cut open the defence. If they cant find a way through, id rather they play it back and start over again.

It's worth a shot, otherwise I'd ask in the tactics section or even just have a look around as someone may have already asked the same questions becuase I'm not the ideal person to be giving advice on this some of the regulars in the tactics section know a lot more than I do.

I have found that high attacking mentalities make the players shoot prematurely. Perhaps that is the issue.

However, the way you describe things are how the game displays poor form when you have a strong team. Try putting less pressure on the team and see if that helps.

I play a 4-3-3 formation with inside forwards in AML/AMR roles.

I play Lucas (Sao Paulo) as the main striker and found it difficult to score even though many chances were created.

*Note: Ball rarely leaves the ground/Pass it into the next.

I found Lucas was my problem so adjusted his role slightly by reducing Runs with ball to rarely (He has Runs with Ball as a PPM too) and his Creative freedom to as Little as possible. Along with some other adjustments I found those the main areas. Now he seems a different player, like he's thought "Oh, it's not about me anymore", so less creative freedom seemed to make him pay more attention to the team and my tactics.

Anyways cut a long story short, he's got 31 goals in 31 games last season and 6 in 5 this season.

My point is; find the area's that are letting you down and address them. Note what each player is doing, your tactic should be an on-going process to fine tune.

err.. no it doesn't. My team play a high tempo but rarely do they take a pot-shot from range...

last four games

1. shots 10, on target 5, CCC's 4, Long shots 1 (scored 3)

2. shots 9, on target 5, CCC's 3, Long shots 2 (scored 4)

3. shots 11, on target 4, CCC's 3, Long shots 1 (scored 1 :p)

4. shots 11, on target 6, CCC's 5, Long shots 3 (scored 3) - the 3 scored in this game were from the first 4 CCC's...

I play a 4-3-3 formation with inside forwards in AML/AMR roles.

I play Lucas (Sao Paulo) as the main striker and found it difficult to score even though many chances were created.

*Note: Ball rarely leaves the ground/Pass it into the next.

I found Lucas was my problem so adjusted his role slightly by reducing Runs with ball to rarely (He has Runs with Ball as a PPM too) and his Creative freedom to as Little as possible. Along with some other adjustments I found those the main areas. Now he seems a different player, like he's thought "Oh, it's not about me anymore", so less creative freedom seemed to make him pay more attention to the team and my tactics.

Anyways cut a long story short, he's got 31 goals in 31 games last season and 6 in 5 this season.

My point is; find the area's that are letting you down and address them. Note what each player is doing, your tactic should be an on-going process to fine tune.

This :thup:

err.. no it doesn't. My team play a high tempo but rarely do they take a pot-shot from range...

last four games

1. shots 10, on target 5, CCC's 4, Long shots 1 (scored 3)

2. shots 9, on target 5, CCC's 3, Long shots 2 (scored 4)

3. shots 11, on target 4, CCC's 3, Long shots 1 (scored 1 :p)

4. shots 11, on target 6, CCC's 5, Long shots 3 (scored 3) - the 3 scored in this game were from the first 4 CCC's...

Yes it does. Obviously its possible to play a high tempo and limit your long shots but if you change only your tempo from low to high you will see more long shots.

Its pretty simple really, a low tempo means players will be more patient in creating a chance but a high tempo will mean they look to find a quick chance and if they can't find a way through the defence they'll most likely look for a long shot. Thats a simplification really but thats the point i was trying to make in regards to the OP's problem with long shots. Its one solution but not the only one.

There's a kernel of truth in that, but it is always to do with more than tempo. If you play a high tempo system but aren't getting players quickly up field in support of your forwards, they will get isolated and take pot shots because there is nothing else on. If you have players up in support, long shots will not increase as the forward will have passing options. It is to do with formation and support play, not tempo per se.

Archived