Never make three subs before 70 minutes......

I've made 3 changes before the 60th minute 3 times this season and 2 more times at half time and in none of those games did I end with 10 men due to injury.

I usually like to keep the 3rd sub available just in case but in these matches, I didnt really care as the matches were meaningless or the win was already secured.

I like to get my youngsters at least 30 minutes whenever I play them.

When it happens, it obviously sticks out in memory a lot more than a dozen times when it doesn't happen do*

My favourite time this happened was actually real, when Chelsea made half time changes at Newcastle in the cup one year and ended up with 9 players and a loss :cool:

*That's some awesome grammar

Not quite the same thing, but this was my worst bit of luck with injuries.

All three injuries were to strikers, with my fourth (and only other striker) already injured. That ended my title challenge :(

Started a game as Arsenal the other day and managed to injure all seven of my forwards by the end of October. Was playing Eboue up front.

Red carded at 31 minutes. Replaced a player for a better lineup at that point. Sub at halftime. Had to replace for injury at 65 minutes.

So, at 75 minutes I was stuck when I had another player injured. Finished 9 on 11.

When it happens, it obviously sticks out in memory a lot more than a dozen times when it doesn't happen do*

I would agree a lot of the time about this, but in the 2 games after this I made subs around the same time and got at least 1 player injured both times. Guessing that it is just the standard of players in the league and their poor fitness levels which is causing it though.

I virtually always make 3 subs on 60 minutes. Very rarely does it backfire.

It tends to get the best out of the subs making them at this time. Any later and I don't get much of a performance from them. Either that or no performance of any real worth.

The real bug is when they get injured after you select changes but before they're implemented. It seems to implement first, then show you the injury(or sending off), denying you the chance to re-assess.

The real bug is when they get injured after you select changes but before they're implemented. It seems to implement first, then show you the injury(or sending off), denying you the chance to re-assess.

It's not a bug. Merely a poorly implemented system.

I usually make a change in midfield or upfront...very rarely at the back and very rarely away from home, unless I want to kill the game off by throwing a pair of fresh legs on etc. Some games I don't make a sub at all....I have a surplus of strikers usually (at least two on the bench and I use one in my XI) as I want my players to chomp at the bit and make the most of their chance when they get one. In other words, I don't make a change unless I have to.

I've had two awful matches in a row. In both I've had two red-crossed players in the first half, and had to make a sub at half time (in one case it was fitness <70% due to a knock, and in the other due to a 5.8 performance). Needless to say, another injury midway through 2nd period saw me down to 10 twice, while in the second game I've also got a red card around the end of the game... and it was the EURO Cup vs. Sampdoria away (played 5-2-1-0, managed to get a draw).

Best thing I could do was to exit the game and go get some beer to chill. :mad:

In a word: ouch. :)

I've had a few games where I've lost 2 men with no subs left before, usually resulting in me 'parking a 747 in front of goal' with a more defensive-minded tactic alteration. :D

Though I virtually always seem to make subs around the 70 min mark, though I do wonder sometimes if this is too little, too late. :)

• 2 months later...

I finished with the same amount of players during my Granada CF save, FM11.

From memory, I played four defenders, two defensive midfielders and a striker. Managed to soak up the pressure and successfully score a goal on the counter to win the game. Fortunately though, my opponents were pushing high upfield, which whilst they were in clear control of possession, left them open when my defenders were hoofing the ball upfield for my pacy striker to run onto. ;)

Most amusing to me in that game, was with eleven men, my team were having an off day. Dominating play, but going forward, couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo! Went down to eight men for the last twenty minutes, they rolled up their sleeves and played like heroes to a man.

I do think people are too quick to make substitutions when players have taken a knock, or have a minor injury. Although their condition can take a hit, they can often recover enough to still be effective. Forced substitutions where a player can't continue are unfortunate, but having three or more suffer this is a rarity indeed. Throughout my saves in FM11, I've never seen more than two forced substitutions during a match.

In my example with Granada CF, I'd actually made three tactical substitutions, then suffered two forced substitution injuries and a sending off.

Archived