I Miss The 2d Engine

I actually bought this game without first checking it out, thinking it will be like for like with the pc version. And not being able to see where i am going wrong is hurting my team, bristol rovers. My tatics that work in fm2006 with bristol rovers no longer work anymore. For starters, i dont know what type of football the opposition is playing, so i cant change my tatics untill half time. Ie if they play direct play offside, if they play passing, then press etc. Secondly i cant seem to make a second half sub without the cpu scoring late on. Almost always immediatly after i have made my sub, only ever a player with a low match rating or fitness level. The old captain issue is back, wrong captain means you are doomed to failure. The realiable tatic of defensive and counter attack when away from home now hardly seems to work either. Infact i have had better results playing all out attack away from home. my players have reasonable pace and creative attributes. I now find myself just guessing with what tatics to play as i cant see whats going on. Apart from these, i quite like the game, but im at my witts end. Especially because my board expects promotion, so finishing top half + isnt good enough.

I actually bought this game without first checking it out, thinking it will be like for like with the pc version. And not being able to see where i am going wrong is hurting my team, bristol rovers. My tatics that work in fm2006 with bristol rovers no longer work anymore. For starters, i dont know what type of football the opposition is playing, so i cant change my tatics untill half time. Ie if they play direct play offside, if they play passing, then press etc. Secondly i cant seem to make a second half sub without the cpu scoring late on. Almost always immediatly after i have made my sub, only ever a player with a low match rating or fitness level. The old captain issue is back, wrong captain means you are doomed to failure. The realiable tatic of defensive and counter attack when away from home now hardly seems to work either. Infact i have had better results playing all out attack away from home. my players have reasonable pace and creative attributes. I now find myself just guessing with what tatics to play as i cant see whats going on. Apart from these, i quite like the game, but im at my witts end. Especially because my board expects promotion, so finishing top half + isnt good enough.

• SI Staff

I'm sorry you find it frustrating - you will find over time though if you persevere that you start envisioning the match in your head and can pretty accurately work out your teams strengths and weaknesses.

A large part of this is to watch the posession bar as this shows how frequently your team have the ball and whether they're under the cosh permanently and also to examine the players individual stats - is there a defender who's failing to make tackles?, is there a midfielder putting passes astray frequently? ... all this will build up your mental picture of play and help you make the right decisions.

Can you tell me which captain i should have as bristol rovers ? There are several players all with simialar, age, leadership, attributes. How can i figure out what type of football the opposition is playing, or is that not as important anymore?

I find that the challenge of trying to work out exactly what is going wrong or right is one of the challenges of FMH - and quite an enjoyable one, even if frustrating at times.

I'm still hugely enjoying the game. Won the Conference in season one, finished 21st in league two and am now facing a tough third season. Much smaller transfer budget and same max wage as last season, and finding it quite hard to lure better players... To my mind that's exactly the sort of realistic challenge that a smallish lower league club should face.

Archived