FM11 Making Laptop Overheat

Hey guys, i got a laptop in December 2010 and have pretty much played fm10 and fm11 to death since then. It was all fine until about last march and things started to go wrong, my laptop normally works fine however whenever i play fm it works for a short while then the laptop gets really hot and turns itself off. This only happens when i play fm and i have closed all the other processes i have running and my laptop is a windows 7 and i use the non steam version of the game. Is there a way to fix this guys because i would really like to play fm again. Thanks

Chris

is your laptop well ventilated while playing? Say for instance you have it on your bed, the air vents underneath will be getting blocked and will cause overheating. Also if you have it connected to the mains, try removing the battery because charging the battery causes it to heat up, thus providing more heat to the laptop.

It doesent matter where i have it whether on my lap, on my bed or even on my wooden desk :/ and surely if that was the problem it would overheat when just using the laptop and it happens when it is unplugged as well as charging

Yeah but only when i put my head close to the fan, i swear when the laptop was new it used to be louder than that :/

You may have 2 fans and one has packed in. And the one remaining fan isnt providing enough ventilation. One thing I can guarantee though is if it is your fan, eventually your cpu will burn out. Even more so if its your cpu fan.

Right well im going to take my laptop apart later tonight and see if the fans are blocked and then ill check the bios and then if still knackered ill probably just have to go back to playing fm on the old slow computer *sigh*

How do i do that ?? Sorry but im a bit inexpirienced with computers

Press delete when the computer is first loading up. Just keep pressing it till the bios loads. It will be fine. I would of thought though that if you know how to take your laptop apart and what-not you would know how to load the bios?

If you do dismantle your laptop, make sure you clean off any dust that's build up, especially around your fans and any coolers/vents etc. Get a can of compressed air and use that to blow the dust away - don't use a cloth or anything like that to clean it!

Trouble with football manager on a any CPU as it eats away a lot of power usage, very demanding on your processor.

Playing it on my laptop it get's mega hot and the 3D match engine starts to get jerky after a while for which I can honestly say it's the game putting a high demand on my CPU which then makes my fans work harder and faster.

Having a Dell they have catered with regards to air vents and fans on there laptops but can't speak for other makers though.

Game Booster is O'k but will still not stop football manager putting that high demand on your CPU, all game booster does is stop back ground programs from running, but these back ground programs does not take much of the CPU up in truth, but you can give it a go as it's a free software, anything is worth a try, but my outlook is if your going to do gaming get a desktop unit and not a laptop, some things like games which require huge CPU usage would be better served on a desktop unit.

Also remember a lot of laptops have an intake and an expulsion fan, overheating is very often caused by fine dust and fluff inside the grill of the expulsion fan.

Lap top stands are only a few quid and worth it, the ones that come with an integral fan cost more but it's no coincidence that they sell very well despite that.

go on ebay and purchase a laptop cooling stand, they only cost about £5-£10 and power the fans via usb, it is a small investment and will protect your laptop.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is your Hard drive, if you have a lot of picture packs or play music etc whilst using FM the hard drive will constantly be accessed and this can cause a lot of heat in a laptop, a lot of laptops nowadays have adequate enough cooling on the CPU's but pretty much nothing on the hard drive.

Opening up the laptop is really poor advice in my opinion, I also wouldn't advise opening your laptop for two reasons, firstly it is under a year old and still under the manufacturers warranty which you will void if you open it, secondly if you have no idea what you are doing you can screw things up very easily, laptops are not as easy to disassemble and reassemble as desktp pcs.

You can clean the fans easily by simply putting the attachment of your vacuum next to the inlet and outlet grills and sucking excess dust out without even having to open the laptop.

I have this problem from time to time. 3 year old laptop and it gets clogged up a bit with dust etc - to be expected. A can of compressed air from any computer shop will do the job to blow everything through.

Used to be a cheaper solution - the old analogue tyre pressure inflators at the petrol station were free and very effective! :)

My laptpop used to overheat so i got one of these cooling stands. Have to stay its brilliant, well recommend it.

Dont know if SI will let me post links but here goes -http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Laptop-Cooling-Capacity-F5L001erBLK/dp/B001HNOLBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312147031&sr=8-1

Get that.

Yeh you're fine with that, have a proper link ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Laptop-Cooling-Capacity-F5L001erBLK/dp/B001HNOLBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312147031&sr=8-1

Archived