League conspiracy...

This isn't a troll, I am just curious.

Anyone else notice a trend whilst playing FM that no matter what league you are in you will very rarely runaway and win it, there will always be a team who are near or semi near you in terms of points? For example I had a relatively long game running, and worked my way into the championship from the BS. I checked the previous 5 seasons points total to see on average how many points wins the title. At the end of the season I ended up over 100 points which in any of the previous 5 seasons would have been more than enough to be way ahead of the opposition, however I only ended up winning by around 4 points or so. This got me thinking and I checked previous seasons I had played and kinda noticed the same thing. I normally ended up with a large points total that in the vast majority of the previous seasons would have been enough to win hands down but there always seemed to be someone near me.

I suspect exactly the same thing, PoolFan. I recently finished second in League 1 with Peterborough on 95 points, with Plymouth finishing on 98 points. The following season, I won the Championship with 101 points, yet was only top by 3 points. I began to wonder at this point whether there is a feature in the game which simply does not permit you to walk the league, but who knows? :-/

The teams behind you don't have to battle all the complacency issues when they have someone to chase- so they'll generally perform better. This is often true of real life- anyone who's ever done athletics knows that you run faster if you're grouped with people who are faster than you, because having something to chase spurs you on.

If you're good enough, or they're bad enough, you can still walk the title most years.

Football is a lot more competitive these days than it was in the past. Can you regularly remember teams totally running away with it constantly IRL? In 3 years with Man City I won by 7 points and then 3. With average 29 games played I'm 7 points clear (although I do have 2 games in hand) so I may be able to win by a good margin.

Although if you want to talk about conspiracies take a look at my last4 fixtures and tell me the AI doesn't want me to win.... :)

unledep.jpg[/img]

Football is a lot more competitive these days than it was in the past. Can you regularly remember teams totally running away with it constantly IRL? In 3 years with Man City I won by 7 points and then 3. With average 29 games played I'm 7 points clear (although I do have 2 games in hand) so I may be able to win by a good margin.

Although if you want to talk about conspiracies take a look at my last4 fixtures and tell me the AI doesn't want me to win.... :)

unledep.jpg[/img]

LOL good luck with those!

As for my OP, I don't know it seems the better I do in the lower leagues, the more likely there is that a team will be able to stick with me throughout the season and compete. I have seen it on a few occasions with a old Wrexham save. I got something silly like 110 points in league 2, only for another team to get over a 100 also. I checked the history and that hadn't happened ever in the 5 or so seasons I was playing. The same happened when I moved onto the next division, I did really well but yet again another team managed to keep up with me getting more points that season than anyother of the previous seasons.

I always thought this was the case in previous FMs, but on this one I rarely find any team has great consistency so you can get clear of the pack quickly. In my recent Man Utd game, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City were all in the bottom half after 7 or so games. Doesn't sound like much, but when I started well (seven out of seven maybe), it means I've virtually won the league already, granted I stay consistent.

Hell, Wolves had 8 wins out of 8 in my current game (I'm in BSS), and they beat the big four in that period. At Christmas they dropped points to Wigan, Stoke etc and they are now 8th. The top of the league is so close though, that if I was managing a team well, I'd be miles clear.

Well, I recently won a 26 game league (Chinese 1st division) by at least 15 points (I know it was that when I won it with 4 games to spare, and I won those four so it might've been more...), so...nope.

If anything, the opposite is true, AI teams struggle to really put together great runs of form. The subsequent season in the Super League, I was top with two games to play (I ended up blowing it and finishing third), despite having dropping points in over a third of my games - the AI teams had several chances to run away with the league, but none of them could keep their form up for more than 3-4 games at a time.

I've noticed that points total for the top 3 or so in the league your playing in is quite often a lot higher than in other leagues you have running but are not competing in. I.e. you play in England for 5 years and the top 3 teams have 85+ points (for example) and you look at Germany, Spain, Italy and the top 3 get consistently 70-75 points (again example), then you move to Germany and all of a sudden the top 3 average 80ish and the English top 3 points total drops off.

What I am trying to say is that it appears that the league you are playing in sees the stronger teams picking up higher points totals than the league you are not participating in. I always assumed this was because of the level of detail... i.e. the game is making more "effort" to crunch stats and be realistic in your league than in those other leagues that are running, but you aren't participating in.

I see what the OP is saying.

But it could just be that if you are finding it easy to pick up points, then another team may find it just as easy to pick up points.

The same could be said for struggling to pick up points and have a really tight league with everyone beating each other.

This isn't a troll, I am just curious.

Anyone else notice a trend whilst playing FM that no matter what league you are in you will very rarely runaway and win it, there will always be a team who are near or semi near you in terms of points? For example I had a relatively long game running, and worked my way into the championship from the BS. I checked the previous 5 seasons points total to see on average how many points wins the title. At the end of the season I ended up over 100 points which in any of the previous 5 seasons would have been more than enough to be way ahead of the opposition, however I only ended up winning by around 4 points or so. This got me thinking and I checked previous seasons I had played and kinda noticed the same thing. I normally ended up with a large points total that in the vast majority of the previous seasons would have been enough to win hands down but there always seemed to be someone near me.

Them pesky 2nd place teams! Always just 1 place behind

Archived