Computer AI equalising as soon as you score... it's getting a little old

I'm sure i'm not the only one to notice but the endless ability for the computer AI to create a chance just after you have scored is beyond ridiculous. I wish there was someway to count the number of times a team equalises within a given period because honestly it's getting really silly. I just finished a game where I scored three times, only for the AI to then score straight from the kickoff each time. Anyone else get annoyed by this?

This is why it happens:

Opposing side's attackers' determination

AI's shift to an attacking tactic

Your defenders' concentration

I can't tell you whether it happens as much as it does in real life, but if it's happening frequently, this is why.

Now, this does raise the question of the seeming general superiority of aggressive tactics and why the AI doesn't use them all the time since they seem so effective, but that is another topic for another day.

This is why it happens:

Opposing side's attackers' determination

AI's shift to an attacking tactic

Your defenders' concentration

I can't tell you whether it happens as much as it does in real life, but if it's happening frequently, this is why.

Now, this does raise the question of the seeming general superiority of aggressive tactics and why the AI doesn't use them all the time since they seem so effective, but that is another topic for another day.

See I don't buy this at all. I find it VERY suspect that the opposition AI can seemingly increase their chance to score almost at will. I am far more inclined to believe that SI have hardcoded in something that increases the chance of the opposition scoring straight away after you have scored in an attempt to adhere to the whole 'your at your most vulnerable right after you scored'.

I distinctly remember from old versions of Championship manager that it was obvious that certain footballing cliches were hardcoded into the game (player you sold scoring against you etc). In purely statistical terms you really are not more vulnerable after you have scored, this is just a cliche that and actually has no basis in statistical fact.

Did you change your Strategy, Philosophy, Formation etc as soon as you scored?

More than often I have seen the opposition score from the kick off without my side even being able to touch the ball. Yes I have tried to change my strategy etc but when the computer AI simply waltz the ball up the pitch from kickoff and put the ball away it seems very suspect. Besides are you really supposed to change stuff that often, I see the computer AI changing formation/ philosophy etc isn't this supposed to have a harmful effect on their continuity?

PoolFan, ^This^

I knew someone would say this but in all honestly it does not work. I am positive that you are not supposed to change everything you are doing in the game as soon as you have scored because the computer AI has suddenly stepped up their game and now they are playing ala Brazil 1970. As I have said above, arn't you always told that to many changes are bad for your team, don't mess with tactics to much, stick to something so your players dont get confused etc.

See I don't buy this at all. I find it VERY suspect that the opposition AI can seemingly increase their chance to score almost at will. I am far more inclined to believe that SI have hardcoded in something that increases the chance of the opposition scoring straight away after you have scored in an attempt to adhere to the whole 'your at your most vulnerable right after you scored'.

I distinctly remember from old versions of Championship manager that it was obvious that certain footballing cliches were hardcoded into the game (player you sold scoring against you etc). In purely statistical terms you really are not more vulnerable after you have scored, this is just a cliche that and actually has no basis in statistical fact.

That does happen fairly often TBF. I always bet on players to score the first goal in the match against their old teams and win quite a bit. I remember backing Gallas to score the first time he played against Chelsea for Arsenal and he did. Got me a fair few quid that :D

That does happen fairly often TBF. I always bet on players to score the first goal in the match against their old teams and win quite a bit. I remember backing Gallas to score the first time he played against Chelsea for Arsenal and he did. Got me a fair few quid that :D

No it's a cliche, if you actually check statistics it's REALLY not true at all. My point is that I think SI hardcode certain things like this into the game to adhere to certain cliches. I really wish there was a way to see exactly how many goals are scored after the opposition have scored as there is no way in hell that it is realistic.

I knew someone would say this but in all honestly it does not work. I am positive that you are not supposed to change everything you are doing in the game as soon as you have scored because the computer AI has suddenly stepped up their game and now they are playing ala Brazil 1970. As I have said above, arn't you always told that to many changes are bad for your team, don't mess with tactics to much, stick to something so your players dont get confused etc.

He's being sarcastic mate.

It was a genuine question. I never change my setup, and was going to suggest you try that if you were changing things.

No it's a cliche, if you actually check statistics it's REALLY not true at all. My point is that I think SI hardcode certain things like this into the game to adhere to certain cliches. I really wish there was a way to see exactly how many goals are scored after the opposition have scored as there is no way in hell that it is realistic.

Well my wallet would disagree.

How many matches has this happened in for you?

Happens ALL the time. I remember one game where 6 goals were scored literally back and forth from a kick off. One side scored, the other side scored from kickoff etc. All in the space of 10 minutes of game time. Totally and utterly ridiculous.

Happens to me all the time.

The thing I love though is when the AI scores against me, then I go up the other end and bang one in. :)

And thats the very reason why points like this are nonsense. Nobody EVER comes on here complaining when they do it to the AI.

Happens ALL the time. I remember one game where 6 goals were scored literally back and forth from a kick off. One side scored, the other side scored from kickoff etc. All in the space of 10 minutes of game time. Totally and utterly ridiculous.

Can you provide 5 screen shots of this type of thing happening?

I think you were just unlucky in one match and you would never complain if your side did it to the AI. There is no way SI hardcode the game so that as soon as you score the AI scores back. As players we only notice when this type of thing happens against us and not in our favour.

And thats the very reason why points like this are nonsense. Nobody EVER comes on here complaining when they do it to the AI.

So it's not a bug if you benefit from it, sorry I disagree. As I mentioned I have seen this happen in my favour a bunch of times also, and yes it still annoys me as it's quite obviously a intentional 'feature' and it's stupid.

So it's not a bug if you benefit from it, sorry I disagree. As I mentioned I have seen this happen in my favour a bunch of times also, and yes it still annoys me as it's quite obviously a intentional 'feature' and it's stupid.

If it happens in your favour then why did you not mention it in the OP?

Where did I say it wasnt a bug if you benefit from it? Thats your problem right there. You only see what you want to see.

I think you were just unlucky in one match and you would never complain if your side did it to the AI. There is no way SI hardcode the game so that as soon as you score the AI scores back. As players we only notice when this type of thing happens against us and not in our favour.

Is it not possible it is coded to happen given a certain set of circumstances?

Is it not possible it is coded to happen given a certain set of circumstances?

I can't see it, in my game so far I think only once or twice has the AI scored straight after I have scored in around 200 games. I think he has been unlucky in one match.

It's something I notice all too often and I really doubt I am the only person to notice it. I have no doubt there is something hardcoded relating to a increased chance of conceding a goal in the 5mins or so after scoring yourself. I see way to many games where you can dominate, have a bunch of chances yet the opposition will almost always get a clear cut chance to score within 5 minutes of you having scored.

Like I have said previously, I remember the old Champ Man games where this sort of stuff was rampant. It would not surprise me at all if in the calculations somewhere for scoring that this is included.

If I still have my old Wrexham save I will dig out the epic match where six plus goals were scored back 2 back in 10mins from kick off.

Do you have any more apart from this one game that you keep mentioning. And to me from your posts, it sounded like its been a recent thing and you have come on to complain. Now it appears its something that happened in an 'old' save that you may or may not have now.

Heres an idea though. If it does happen as often as you say, im sure you will have no problem in starting a new save and could possibly have 5 examples after around 20 games :thup:

Do you have any more apart from this one game that you keep mentioning. And to me from your posts, it sounded like its been a recent thing and you have come on to complain. Now it appears its something that happened in an 'old' save that you may or may not have now.

Heres an idea though. If it does happen as often as you say, im sure you will have no problem in starting a new save and could possibly have 5 examples after around 20 games :thup:

LOL look at Sherlock Holmes over there. Seems to me that from reading the replies on this thread that I am not the only person to see this happening, hmmmm......

LOL look at Sherlock Holmes over there. Seems to me that from reading the replies on this thread that I am not the only person to see this happening, hmmmm......

He does have a point though, you say it happens all the time yet cannot provide any screenshots and can only think of one example.

No Sherlock Holmes about it. If it happens as often as you say, you will have no problem providing SS to back it up. There is no need to 'dig out' old saves for ONE game. Just start a new save or you should have at least a couple of examples from your current save. Next you'll be telling us that your current save is one of those freak saves where it hasn't actually happened yet :rolleyes:

I've not come across another thread bringing this point up, the game has been out for the best part of a year now.

Anyway, as others have said, if this happens so often you should be able to back up your point very easily, go into your last save and check you last 20 games, tell us how many times this has happened, along with screen shots.

I am far more inclined to believe that SI have hardcoded in something that increases the chance of the opposition scoring straight away after you have scored in an attempt to adhere to the whole 'your at your most vulnerable right after you scored'.

Isn't that basically what Concentration and Determination are all about? Good determination makes players play harder when the chips are down and low concentration makes players flake out when things seem safe? Add those together and you get instant-equalizers.

picxl.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OK here's an example for you, whether you agree with my theory or not I don't really care but I've played enough of FM to make up my own mind regarding this. So yes I do believe somewhere in the calculations there is an increased chance of conceding a goal within 5minutes of having scored one yourself.

Edit: Times are 5,11,12,14,15,17

Now this is an extreme example granted but I have seen plenty of games where you score/concede and almost immediately from kickoff you then score/concede. It happens way too often for me. After this stellar response I am now tempted to bring up my other grievance with FM, namely scoring from opposition goalkicks, for example goalie takes a goal kick, your midfielder wins initial header and heads the ball to your striker who then races past a static defence to score. I see this a LOT, both from the AI and also my own guys, again totally ridiculous.

So the score at Half Time was 3-2 but all 6 goals were scored in the first 17 minutes? Try again. Sherlock on form today!

Look Sherlock, that took me 5mins to photoshop at least you could humour me here!

FIXED, LMAO :applause:

p.s. Still believe i'm right btw!

The thing is I still think i'm right, though now that I think about it, playing with just 'Key' moments on does kind of play into the you score, they score thing, but still..............

I only ever play with key highlights and im yet to see this. Well it probably has happened but not nearly as much to stick in my mind and think theres some kind of conspiracy going on.

If you put as much effort into the game as you do fake arguments, you might not concede after every goal you score :)

Got to vent somewhere, there's only so much the wife can take and the dog looks at me sometimes like wtf are you welling at the PC for.

So if you score in 10 games in a row your saying the AI scores every single time immediately after you've scored ? seems odd that this has only just been brought up 8 months after the games release, unless others have posted about this in the past ?

Goals do tend to come in pairs on this game. I don't think the goals are hardcoded but there's probably an increased chance of a "goalscoring opportunity" right after a goal in the game.

I would guess it happened in a high profile game so SI implemented it. Much like the extreme amount of violent red cards in FM07 after the Zidane WC headbutt and the season after Liverpool came back from 3 goals down in the champions league final, the following FM had comebacks galore. Seems a tad too coincidental otherwise. *shrugs*.

Numbers please, and unless you can furnish proof, I am assuming that you are exaggerating due to frustration.

But then on the other hand I've not much expectations of you actually trying to go out and furnish proof. Nobody even tries whenever they make this style of complaint.

Archived