Need Advice--Work Permit, Contract Expiring & Gaining Citizenship

My non-EU player's contract will expire in 6-7 months. He was rejected a work permit at this time, yet he will gain citizenship in 170 days. In another month, other teams will be able to offer him a contract. Any ideas on how to keep him from signing elsewhere? I am sure I cannot promise him a contract once he gains citizenship.. I've tried. I'd like to keep him since he's gained "trained at club" status, but I am disappointed thinking I cannot do anything.

If he has been rejected for a work permit with your contract offer it's probably safe to assume the same would happen to any other club offering him a contract. Of course if a club comes in for him from a country with no work permit regulations your in trouble. It could just be a case of sitting and waiting.

If a club with no work permit issues does come in for him you could simply offer him a contract you know he will accept (ie higher than the other club) which will cause him to reject the other club and accept yours (only to be denied a work permit). If you do this for any other contract he is offered you may be able to drag the process out long enough for him to gain citezenship.

If you can, loan him out to a foreign team asap - while he's on loan there, offer him a new contract and it'll go through without needing a work permit.

You won't be able to play him as he won't have a work permit anymore, but when he's back from the loan it'll only take those 170+ days to gain nationality.

Archived