Is MLS worth playing in FM2011?

Hi guys,

just wanted to ask if you think it is worth playing in the MLS (one of my fav players Thorsten Frings just joined Toronto FC and that gave me the idea of starting a save in the US League) and if it would be possible to have a real fun long career game there.

I mean does it make sense in terms of the drafts for example, do enough decent and good players/regens appear there, even after some seasons?

Cheers and thanks in advance for your advice :)

Unfortunately, the MLS is a rapidly developing league with new teams and new rules being introduced all the time. Currently the MLS is in its initial phase making it fair to all teams no matter what their finances are like. These rules will be changing in the future, but this change is not included in the game. Therefore the MLS will be stuck in the development stage the whole time

I didn't like the MLS for one main reason I like to holiday between matches and that was impossible for me. I joined LA Galaxy and signed a 33 year old Ozil on a free transfer on 3k a week, I then signed a young American DMC for 500k. I holidayed until my next game and the AI released both of them on a free, I went back to an earlier save and joined a Saudi team instead.

I would avoid the MLS, I just completed 3 seasons with Toronto FC and had a number of problems. I won the league in my third year and the league win doesn't count towards your history or the players history. The board also dont recognise when you are doing well in the league and even if you are top they can be disappointed with performance. I also had a bug renewing Designated player contracts for 2 of my players and they ended up leaving.

Effectively you can do great in that league but the game doesn't recognise your success which causes problems with the board and problems trying to get another job. Also if you compete in the North American Champions League then you will end up getting fixture congestion at the end of the season where you may have to play up to 6 games in 7 days!!!

If you are not too interested in the way the MLS works I think there is an edited American league that turns the MLS into a European style league. Worth searching on google for it if you cannot see one in the editors forum on here.

Currently in 2017 with my MLS save as coach of Toronto FC. Still having fun winning each year with a team salary $1,000,000 under the cap. Some things to note to the curious:

1. You'll need FMRTE if you want the draft to be of any use. Without it players are absolutely terrible.

2. 2 of the 26 roster spots are reserved for "homegrown" players; however, the game doesn't give you the chance to sign any more. Only some teams have them at the start of the game.

3. The academy system isn't functioning.

4. No Portland/Vancouver in the league, or Montreal for that matter.

5. Computer teams will still sign and release players with abandon.

6. Trading for a permanent international slot will crash the game. Rarely ever find a team willing to offer one, though.

7. You'll probably need FMRTE to get around the international call-up bug, as the game routinely schedules playoff games on international dates. Lost both of my goalies and over half of my team that way.

It can be fun for a while. I like to play it for a few seasons then move on to bigger clubs. The problem is that it is too easy to build a team that kills the rest of the league. you sign good players and dont release them while the ai releases people all over the place. i once signed a guy who scored 70 goals in one year for the Galaxy because the defenders were so bad he could run around them at will.

I have never lasted more than 3 games in the MLS to be honest. I tried to get my head around all of the rules but Flamengo offered me a job and to be honest I wasn't sad to be going away. Although the Brazilian league is almost as much of a clusterf*ck to be honest.

Never played it myself, however ive heard it is very rewarding to stay there for a few years then make the move abroad to the UK/europe :) good luck to you

It is pretty funny to be sitting on a $400,000 per year contract with a team cap of $3.5 million and then have MU or RM offer you the job, offering over $10 mil in salary and wage bills of almost $200 mil. Frankly, the game should make a huge fuss about me turning them down!

I started a save with the Red Bull New York with the original database right when the game came out. When I started playing there were no academies or academy players but as I played on, the game updated itself through Steam and put in the minimum 2 academy player requirement although there is still no academy for me to have players from.

But, if you were to start a game with the new database, you would have the updated squads with academy players and such.

I still run sh*t with a not-full squad.

Archived