Pressing, Stamina/Fitness and Squad Rotation [iPhone]

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get people's views on fitness levels and squad rotation.

I'm Bury FC and have taken them from BSP to EPL. This is my second year in EPL.

I play a 4-1-3-2 with pressing on and it has worked very well for me. Only problem is, now I'm in the EPL, the games are coming thick and fast and it's rare to get more than 4 days between games.

My general rule is to not start a player if their fitness is below 95%. Sometimes this can result in my entire outfield 10 being rotated between games. My fitness training for outfield players is set to Light with Tactics, Attacking and Defending on Medium and Motivation on Intensive.

My problem is that quite often I see results drop as a result of rotation and I need to keep a very big squad.

Is my training too intense still? Should I try and get fitter players? Should I change my tactic to turn pressing off? Am I better off not rotating and playing more tired players?

Interested in your thoughts and whether the negative frequent rotation effect is a figment of my imagination or real.

Especially interested in views on training. I've never really got to grasp with training and when I've tried to develop specific programs for classes of players, it hasn't worked out well and seemingly coincided with a drop in results.

Thanks,

Michael

• SI Staff

Rotation can harm results sometimes but it depends on the players you have, how professional they are and the depth of your squad generally (ie. its not a simple situation).

One thing you might want to try is rotating only within a specific 'unit' (ie. defense, midfield, attack) for a while and see if it affects results adversely or not, then progress onto another unit and repeat. You might find its a specific player or area which doesn't handle rotation that well - most likely because its overly reliant on one player either for a particular style of play or simply leadership ..... this is most common in defense with organisation, but can occur in any area.

(alternatively it might just be that some players are highly strung and hate rotation?)

Archived