Opinions: Am I ruining my Career game...

Basically I started a game with Salford from the Evostick Division One. I am now in the Premier League in the year 2026. The last season I finished 4th and got into the champions league.

I have a wage bill of around 500k a week, and I am always in the black as whatever I make in revenue or prize money covers this. BUT I hardly ever make a profit as it goes back out on wages.

The only problem is that my stadium is only 17,000. it is a new stadium from about 2016 or somethin like that. The board refuse to build a new stadium, and the current stadium is at its capacity, I have hit a wall so to speak.

I am considering using a in game editor, to either create a new stadium (and create a debt, so i am payin the stadium off in installments), expand the current stadium or just change to stadium capacity limit, and wait for the board to expand it.

What do you think i should do? I dont really wanna cheat on this game, but it seems like the only option at the moment. Or would you count that as cheating if i do pay off in installments what ever i decide to do?

Eventually, they'll build a new stadium won't they?

There could be a reason as to why they can't expand it/build a new one yet. I would suggest waiting, because you've done so well without having cheated so keep going. It's more of a challenge. If you need money, sell your best players for top dollar. That's how it works I guess at that level. Be patient.

Eventually, they'll build a new stadium won't they?

There could be a reason as to why they can't expand it/build a new one yet. I would suggest waiting, because you've done so well without having cheated so keep going. It's more of a challenge. If you need money, sell your best players for top dollar. That's how it works I guess at that level. Be patient.

Well thats what im hopin for! but i dont if they will or not, which is why i started this thread haha.

Ive been offered jobs from Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Real Madrid, but its my local club i wanna progress with!

Its not as if im not filling the stadium either, i mean ive been sellin out every game for the last 6 seasons or so and im gradually gettin better, im currently 3rd after 20 games of the new season. Its just i cant progress much because Im not makin any money.

In Spain I took Huesca (a tiny club) up to La Liga, won the title and took them to a Champions League semi final over 13 seasons and in that time the stadium grew from 6000 seats to 9600 where it stopped. The chairman kept telling me that there was no need to expand as we didn't have the supporter base to demand it. I quit after getting frustrated with getting knocked back again and took the vacant Spurs job a month later, happy now though, things are going well at Spurs and Huesca hired Unai Emery who has taken them to a lowly 10th at the midway point of the first season since I left. Suck it up chairman! jmb I say walk away, chin up, move on!

I just remember previous fms where I have had a team and been able to build a big bank balance, but at the moment I cant do that with Salford! do you think upping the expansion capacity in the ediotr and lettin my board decide whether to increase or not is cheating? so basically the better i do and the more money i make the bigger they will expand it?

I made money despite the small stadium but it made no difference, it may be different for you?

I could make money but it would mean me buyin no players every season. I have a few youngsters that have great potential so realistically i wouldnt need to anyway.

You have to wait 20 years to get a new stadium. Your current stadium was built in 2016, so in 2036 you'll get a new stadium. But what's wrong with a 17.000 stadium capacity in the Premiership? If you fill your stadium every match, you shouldn't be worry too much.

And by the way, Salford is a small city. It only has 70.000 people. So I say, don't cheat and have patience untill anew stadium is built. In the meantime, reduce bill wage and concentrate on finding quality youngsters with low wages, play them full time untill they became world-class and then sell them for big money when they demand a better wage.

You have to wait 20 years to get a new stadium. Your current stadium was built in 2016, so in 2036 you'll get a new stadium. But what's wrong with a 17.000 stadium capacity in the Premiership? If you fill your stadium every match, you shouldn't be worry too much.

And by the way, Salford is a small city. It only has 70.000 people. So I say, don't cheat and have patience untill anew stadium is built. In the meantime, reduce bill wage and concentrate on finding quality youngsters with low wages, play them full time untill they became world-class and then sell them for big money when they demand a better wage.

Yeah true it is quite small! I do have a few good players that will get a few good offers, its just hard to improve while im sellin off my best players!

Fair enough - that is quite small, however the fan base isn't centred around the city itself... look at Manchester United, Manchester has a population of about 450k (and there are a LOT more than one team packed in there.. (City)) yet they are still able to get 76k into Old Trafford 90% of the time, are they all from Manchester? Nope! I've been to see them play and I'm from Edinburgh.

If it's a big team, everyone will flock to watch, especially if you are the champions of England....

Fair enough - that is quite small, however the fan base isn't centred around the city itself... look at Manchester United, Manchester has a population of about 450k (and there are a LOT more than one team packed in there.. (City)) yet they are still able to get 76k into Old Trafford 90% of the time, are they all from Manchester? Nope! I've been to see them play and I'm from Edinburgh.

If it's a big team, everyone will flock to watch, especially if you are the champions of England....

And Salford is virtually in Manchester!

I've checked the editor and Salford's attraction is only 6 (max is 20) as set from the start of the game. Is city attraction dynamic in FM11? Salford could be champions of England 20 times in the row, but if their city attraction remain at 6 all the time, it could be a problem.

I've checked the editor and Salford's attraction is only 6 (max is 20) as set from the start of the game. Is city attraction dynamic in FM11? Salford could be champions of England 20 times in the row, but if their city attraction remain at 6 all the time, it could be a problem.

Well the BBC is movin there soon so maybe that will increase its reputation

The thing is his team aren't the champions of England and he is looking to improve, I would guess, to become just that at least, when he might start to draw in people from the suburbs, such as Manchester;)

And Salford is virtually in Manchester!

It's all a bit daft to be honest, if you're playing in the Premiership then unless you're absolutely in the middle of nowhere, you'll be fine.

United's ground is virtually on Salford Quays, the players live out in Cheshire, and the training ground is in Carrington. Whether you're in central Manchester, Bolton or Stretford is fairly irrelevant.

Have you ever had a takeover? Only, the sort of people who own a football club like Salford can't afford to build a massive stadium.

It was taken over when i was in the championship so it wasnt a big takeover, and the only thing thats happened since is that a member of the board has taken over as chairman! i still have a national reputation so if i have a good run in the CL then I should bring in a few fans and hopefully a new buyer!

i promise if u use an editor it will wreck your save, any future success will be tainted
If you feel that you are only making te game more realistic on your end then go for it; however as others have already said editors loom large over your potential future successes...

I understand that it may wreck it so it may be worth duplicatin the game save and using one for normal and one with the change. I prob wont create a new stadium, just literally up the expansion capacity so in the game when i do start to come into money the board can decide how much they wanna expand it by, which kinda takes it out of my hands! makin it more realistic, i dunno :S

• 2 weeks later...

I know this works on FM09 but i havn't tried it on the others but If you want to make money then arrange friendly cup competitions with the top teams in Europe through the whole month of July and the first week of august without leaving a single day empty. First select the date, lets say July 11th & 12th with the 3 teams being Barca, Inter & AC Milan then another Friendly Cup on the 13th & 14th with say 3 top prem sides. Then on the 14th & 15th another cup with Barca, Inter & Ac and on the 16th & 17th the same top 3 prem sides. As long as you alternate between the two sets of 3 teams they should agree to the cups on the basis that you can agree a fee with the teams. Lets say you are set to make 900k in revenue from the cup, you could then offer each team say 100k each (300k in total) which would still leave you making 300k a DAY! Sometimes they will take less and sometimes they will want more but overall you will make alot a day. Make sure you arrange cup competitions every two days throughout July & mabee the first few days of August all at once before pressing continue and if after continuing some of the teams turn you down simply try again offering more money or look for other big teams.

Now once that has been sorted your going to need players.............Lots of players as otherwise your main 11 will be dead after the first few matches so what you do is simply rotate your starting 11 with your subs 11 on the 2nd day and then on the 3rd day your reserves 11 and then on the 4th day your under 18s 11. if you don't have 11 under 18s or enough of them you can also bring in 11 players on 4 week trails (doesnt matter who just bring in total crap for 4 weeks) which will act as a 4th or 5th team so essentially each team is only playing one match every 4 or 5 days so make sure you have 4 or 5 players for each position or around 55 players in your squad in total so you can do so. Even with a tiny stadium you can still make over 9m pounds in just 30 days just by doing this. If i were to do it with my Cwmbran Town Team that currently has a 55k seater stadium with 3 top teams on my save i could make around 700k a day or 1.4m per cup tournament after fees paid out to the 3 teams!

The negative is the month of July and first few days of August will take a long time to get through as you will have a match every day and you cant just let your Assistant take charge of friendlies as he wont switch the starting 11 properly.

This is how i managed to keep my Cwmbran Town bank balance in the black when i was in the Championship and loosing money every month due to high wages and only a 12k capacity stadium.

• 3 weeks later...

It just takes time to build the fanbase. It increases by a few thousand per year.

Remember to have 100-200 millions in your bank account by 2036, so that you can afford to build a stadium right away. In those 10 years try to build up a squad of cheap wonderkids who you develop yourself, and sell 28+ year-olds once you have a 19-20 year old who can replace him.

You should be able to dominate by 2036 in this way, since if you get youth development right, no AI can follow you for long. Winning the PL, FA, League cup and CL a few times will vastly increase your fan base.

Instead of giving yourself a new stadium, you could do a much milder "cheat" and change the age of the stadium to 2006. A club growing as fast as yours should not have to wait for a completely ungrounded and set-in-stone 20 years to build a new stadium! I think that is an unrealistic limitation: if the money is there, if the need is there... then build the stadium! How is its age relevant?

Edit: What I am trying to say is that it is your game. If you are a team builder like me and loses interest in a game because of a limitation/bug/bad programming by the game itself, then why is it wrong to change the rules a bit to allow you to continue playing the game you love? While giving myself money or other competitive advantages are out of the question, I often go in and help the AI teams along (Real Madrid in mid-table anonymity with £250m transfer budget unused... right!), give myself feeder clubs when the game fails to "find a suitable club" for 10 years straight (what's the point in giving me the option then?), giving natural positions to players who have trained and played in that position for three-four years with no change (the position training "engine" is ridiculous to begin with), and allowing the best club in Spain to build a stadium which is badly needed with the £200m we had in our bank account, and for the 20 000 fans waiting in line to get in.

Sounds like a lot of effort but might try that. Although i have just won the CL two years in a row, I now have around 50 mil in the bank, im not bringin in any expensive players more like developin my young players!

If you go ahead and arrange all those pre-season frendlies every day and rake in huge amounts of cash by exploiting the game then you may as well just use a 3rd party save game editor like FMRTE and give yourself money or expand the stadium. Seems like cheating either way...

Like he said, setting the stadium age to older than it is would be the fairer way to cheat, there's typically a 20 year wait between stadia, So either you need to fight on for 10 more seasons, or cheat the age lower.

If you go ahead and arrange all those pre-season frendlies every day and rake in huge amounts of cash by exploiting the game then you may as well just use a 3rd party save game editor like FMRTE and give yourself money or expand the stadium. Seems like cheating either way...

Its not exploiting the game. Like i mentioned sometimes the clubs don't agree to it and you also sometimes have to negotiate a fee. You also have to manage every game and rotate your players properly and is something that could be done in real life albiet unlikely.

Archived