lower league tactics

i always play in the lower leagues in england between levels 6to10 and always try and keep the tactics basic 442 etc because the players are not up to much,but has anyone been more adventurous at this level ie 4231

As Albion Rovers in the Scottish 3rd Division I played 4231 and it worked wonders, won the division in my first season and that was with far from the strongest set of players in the league.

i play a wide, fast passing attacking 442 changing to 4 2 2 2 (2 cm, 2 wingers, 2 strikers) usually sign players with high pace, and i ensure i sign them all to full contract, and train them with my system, all of a sudden come 50th min, my players are still fit, and the opposition is buggered, then the pace really shows

I play whatever formation suits my players, regardless of the level I am at.

Heathxxx has written a good thread about managing in the lower leagues, which has a section on formations here.

Do you not find that more rigid formations generally suit your players? I've yet to find a side which I've managed in the lower leagues which had enough quality to play a formation with more emphasis on passing and freedom. And therefore to me rigid 442s are 90% of the time the best formation...

Archived