You can never have too many youngsters?

Does anyone ever feel like they spend too much money on young players?

Sometimes I get a bit carried away and can easilly spend my entire transfer budget on players that won't touch the 1st team for 3-4 years. I look in my u18/res and see I already have 4-5 players in that position but still feel the need to sign young players.

How much of your transfer budget do you usually invest in youth?

I usually spend almost all of my budget on youth, its the way i like to play the game.

Never been a massive fan of buying world stars, would rather scour the serbia's and Guatemala's of this world to find the next big thing. Most ive ever spent on youth in one season is about 90m i think, that was a good season!

I pretty much always buy youngsters when I'm a "top" team (or a team I've brought to the top). I'd buy more established players but I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices they ask for them. I've still yet to even get the "spend 30 million or more on a player" achievement, despite playing tens of seasons at the top and that's because it seems to be that either I can get a player for 20 million or less when they're young, or they'll only sell for £90m or something stupid, to be honest the largest I've ever offered is £42m and that was rejected, I refuse to spend any more than that even if he's the only world-class player in that position in the world, I'd make do.

I spend as much as i need to on players who can jump straight into the first team to build a side that can challenge for all top trophies but from then on in its entirely youth to continue building over the long term with the exception of selling a first team regular who i don't think can be replaced with any youngsters.

As much as I like investing in youth, you can have too much, partly due to having too many in a position, so you can't give them all that much game time, also because of how much it lowers the team's CA, which could affect results (which I've done more than once), plus there's the homegrown rules in Norway, so you either have to sacrifice a developed quality non-homegrown player of have to wait a while to play the youngsters. Doesn't stop me indulging though.

Archived