is tutoring more trouble than its worth now ?

on fm 10 you had 3 options that worked well depending on what you wanted the player to learn. now its 3 vague options followed by a fight with the players. not sure if anyone can help but this is what im doing with no joy

the tutor has at least 15 determination

both are same position

both have similar personality, although that can get tricky when an "experienced center back " is tutoring a " fairly ambitous " one

i always pick option one after having no good results with the others and when i do get a player to agree it seems more luck than judgement

have i missed anything ? most of the guides ive read have been for fm 10

Apparently the 3 options are very similar in that you can choose whatever without making much difference to the player doing the tutoring(therefore I always choose option1- flatter the senior). If you have a fight with the youth tell him your the boss! If it's with a senior, I would not tutor as it may have a negative impact on the youth.

Apparently the 3 options are very similar in that you can choose whatever without making much difference to the player doing the tutoring(therefore I always choose option1- flatter the senior). If you have a fight with the youth tell him your the boss! If it's with a senior, I would not tutor as it may have a negative impact on the youth.

they dont seem similar in the wording to fm 10, was easy to work out which was mental and which was ppm on there. ive used the im the boss line and the kids stormed off. becoming a nightmare now

they dont seem similar in the wording to fm 10, was easy to work out which was mental and which was ppm on there. ive used the im the boss line and the kids stormed off. becoming a nightmare now

he has low professionalism, think 'mario balotelli'

This from SFraser:

Subsection 3: Mentors

This is a crucial part of developing individual players and this is one of the areas where a well organised club like shown above reaps absolutely immense dividends. Mentoring is crucial because it develops and improves a players personality and attitude to all aspects of football, from on-pitch "Determination" to pre-match handling of "Pressure" to media "Controversy" and such things. Mentors are the key to maturing players because players tend not to mentally mature much on their own in FM. Maturing a players personality and attitude is crucial to improving his performances, which not only makes a great deal of difference once he turns into a £40 million superstar, but also actually enables him to get there instead of becoming a "nah can't be bothered today boss, and by the way I want to leave because you said I played poorly last week" dud.

A well organised squad like the one above, with on average five players per position and most players in the First Team Squad, will automatically give you nearly one mentor for every youngster at your club. This means that the vast majority of your players in your Youth Team will be getting mentored for as long as they are at your club.

This is another truly vast asset to player development, and is produced and enabled purely through intelligent and rational club organisation. It makes sense to have five goalkeepers at your club and so your two youngest goalkeepers can automatically be mentored by your two most mature, and so on. This is where you start to see signs of the "conveyor belt" system I described for Arsenal and Manchester United in real life start to appear in your own save.

The "rules" for mentoring seem straight forward and I can tell you that I know for a fact they are different to the general consensus.

1: There seems to be no age limit for mentoring a player. Maybe 30 but I have not seen that as I have no 30 year olds that need mentored.

2: A mentor can be the same age or older than the mentoree, but it doesn't look like it happens if the mentor is younger.

3: A mentor must be considered "better" than the mentoree in the eyes of the footballing world.

4: They must play in similar positions.

5: Players that fit all the above but where the Mentor has a really different personality to the mentoree, will fall out.

6: If you mentor a player with someone with lower Determination, it will drop. This can sometimes be okay if you want him to mature in other mental areas, and then mentor him with a Determined chap later.

I'm not going to speculate on what the different options do. I pick "perfect model" for all my players because my First Team Squad is so awesome and we have such a great relationship. That's still the most important part of the club and I know that well.

Link: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/262465-A-Guide-to-Developing-Youngsters?highlight=tutoring

A very good read.

As far as I can tell, it's completely random and the various dialogue options make no difference.

I tried an experiment on this a few months ago, reloading the game and choosing same players and options, and I got different answers everytime, so I do agree it seems random.

Also, just curious but is it possible that the mentor refuses to tutor a player when you ask him? Never happened to me.

Archived