Does anyone still play Football Manager 2007?

I played fm06 & fm07 for quite a while and I thought they were the best fms ever :) I've never liked fm08,09,10. But then my sister bought me fm11 and now I love it endlessly :) I simply can't go back to my beloved fm06&07 although I'd really like to :D They're too... simple :p

Main thing that makes me not want to go back to older versions is match engine :) In my opinion actions in fm11 are sooooo beautiful and real. Just awesome :) When I watch goals from fm08 and older I feel like I'm playing those table soccer games in pubs :p

I'm currently playing FM07 and 11. However FM07 is much fun for me, since is more plug and play, while FM11 is much more complex and you need to do everything, since the AI Assitant Manager isn't reliable to do the right job.

does anyone have a good tactic for fm 07? never really managed to win anything? is there any exploit

Yes but warned it will ruin FM07 for you once you know it. its in white below.

Any tactic that uses a target man will be more sucsessful then one that dosent

FM07 is a true legend in the series, alongside 06 and 08 I think. 07 added some great features on from 06 and I still go back to both on occasion. 08 is probably my all-time fave though, it had yet more great new features over 07 but also maintained the pretty simple, addictive gameplay. Sadly I feel the series lost a lot of this fun after 08.I tried my hand at stat updates for both 07 and 08 and in the past couple of weeks I've gone back to updating 08 with an ambitious empty db project, but that's a looong way in the future yet. :)As for 07 tactics, I always used/use Minimal Fuss V4, a 4-4-2 Target man tactic that's simple but effective. :)

FM07 is a true legend in the series, alongside 06 and 08 I think. 07 added some great features on from 06 and I still go back to both on occasion. 08 is probably my all-time fave though, it had yet more great new features over 07 but also maintained the pretty simple, addictive gameplay. Sadly I feel the series lost a lot of this fun after 08.

Have to agree with this pretty much in its entirety. :thup:

FM07 is a true legend in the series, alongside 06 and 08 I think. 07 added some great features on from 06 and I still go back to both on occasion. 08 is probably my all-time fave though, it had yet more great new features over 07 but also maintained the pretty simple, addictive gameplay. Sadly I feel the series lost a lot of this fun after 08.

I agree as well, despite enjoying more 07 more then 08.

• 1 year later...

No but I am having a great time playing FM11 as FC united. best save in single player since I took over some team in CM3 and had Maradonna as a player coach.......bring him off the bench for the last 15mins and he would score 2 freekicks! god I loved that save.

Still playing FM07, season 2095/96 underway. I have only Serbian, Croatian and Slovenian leagues loaded. So no real major upsets in top 5 leagues, but some interesting things to point out, are:

- Rangers winning Uefa Cup in 2092, being runners up in 2093 and winning UCL in 2095;

- Switzerland are current WC holders; Romania Euro 2092 holders; Greece are no.1 in current FIFA rankings; while Brazil are only 35th;

- club-wise there are some interesting clubs who have risen in the last 30 years (Srem in Serbia; in Croatia two clubs from Osijek are the richest there, currently lower tier clubs in real life);

- in Europe our fiercest rivals are from EPL: Arsenal (yes, you hear it right) is currently the best club in the world, played in the last 5 or 6 UCL finals and winning 2-3 times. Then: Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool. In Spain only Real can pose the threat to the UCL; Barca has been waiting for it for since 2014. In Italy there is only Milan (the last time they won the UCL is in 2055); sometimes, every 10 years Roma or Inter have good squads. And here is Bayern Munich; the matches against them are always entertaining: one year we would win 6-1, then the next we would lose 0-3, and then next year it will be so tight that the decision will be based upon what the players have eaten for breakfast...;

- the lack of tall strikers-target men in the regen era, contrasted by amazing central defenders with super physical stats (jumping, strength) and sometimes super goalkeepers; this is why, coupled with my policy of rotation, our strikers rarely score 20+goals in season;

- lack of good South American strikers; they have good technique and flair but average physical stats;

- on the opposite there have been some Mexican strikers in the past;

- static league reputation which prevents us signing players from certain nations: Turkey, Greece, all Nothern, Western and some Central Europe, Scandinavia...; also the majority of players from Brazil and Argentina who I sign, are not called up by their home countries and are thus nationalized in Serbia, so they play for them. This is why, Joao, Brazilian goalie, who played for my club in the 2060s, is e.g. Serbian most capped player (117);

- I also found out the so called Rule of One tactics (when each position has its own mentality, moved up by 1 from GKs to STs) is less effective in the far future, because other teams play dirty game against you (hard tackling and closing down), so more fluid approach is maybe better (more players have the same mentality) so the ball moves faster.

I am. I'm in Feb 2028. Just finished the African Cup of Nations. 2 years until Football Comes Home too.

I've got FM 08, 09, 10 and 11 (only £1 or £2 each) but I have no idea if and when I'll play them.

Highlights include Japan winning the notorious 'Penalty World Cup', Austria winning 4 years later, and the Cayman Islands' historic late qualification into the world cup.

Up until FM12 I used to think like this but I think the variable league reputation makes the newer games worth playing. I had my best save on FM07 with AFC Telford, taking them to the Uefa Cup in the same season I signed Cristiano Ronaldo on a free! Unfortunately I stopped playing that (I was using Genie Scout) and never had a save like it. Incidentally, I've never had the patience to take a team from Conference N/S up to the Premiership since, I get bored quite easily and if I over achieve, I don't like the game, feels unrealistic.

This all changed last season in FM12, when this happened:

Sorry for posting a video link but I think it's something that needs to be watched. That is my greatest achievement to date :)

Up until FM12 I used to think like this but I think the variable league reputation makes the newer games worth playing. I had my best save on FM07 with AFC Telford, taking them to the Uefa Cup in the same season I signed Cristiano Ronaldo on a free! Unfortunately I stopped playing that (I was using Genie Scout) and never had a save like it. Incidentally, I've never had the patience to take a team from Conference N/S up to the Premiership since, I get bored quite easily and if I over achieve, I don't like the game, feels unrealistic.

This all changed last season in FM12, when this happened:

Sorry for posting a video link but I think it's something that needs to be watched. That is my greatest achievement to date :)

Oh God, don't tell me you're one of those guys who wears a suit when you're playing a cup final.

Archived