[FM12 Idea] Youth/Reserve Player Recommendations

I think that this would be a good addition for the backroom advice screen. If a youth player is playing well for the youth team you might receive a message from the coach you have in charge of the youth team saying.

'(player) is looking great for the youth team, maybe we should put him in the reserves for a month to see if he can perform well at that level?'

Then you would have a number of options.

1) "Keep him in the youth team for a while longer, if he continues to perform well come back to me and notify me."

2) "I want to keep him in the youth team, I don't feel he's strong enough to break into the reserve team squad"

3) "Move him to the reserve team for one month, then report back to me and tell me how he gets on. If he does well, keep him in the reserve squad, if not, send him back to the Youth team".

This could also happen with young players in the reserves. If they impress in the reserves a number of times you might get a message from the reserve team manager,

'(player) looks like he could make the step up from reserves to first team football.'

Then like the previous example you would have a number of options.

1) "I'll give him a run out in the Carling cup, its not considered important to the board and so we can use him then"

2) "He can join up with the first team squad, and if he impresses in training with the first team I might use him as a sub in one of our upcoming matches"

3) "The first team squad has enough depth as it is and so won't get playing, I'll send him out on loan"

4) "I don't feel he's ready, keep him in the reserves for 1 more month, report back to me and tell me if he continues to play well"

Those are some of the responses I came up with very quickly so they're probably not the best but you can see there's a number of options you could have as a response and I feel that this addition would work well in new Football Manager games.

The coaches already kinda do this. If you have a decent player in the reserves, your coach may say 'player x is more of a back-up player' and gives you the option to change his squad status. This to me is the coaches way of saying he's a back up for the first team so maybe take him out of the reserves.

Obviously this needs expanding on though as that option will only work if the player in question already has a too low squad status set.

The coaches already kinda do this. If you have a decent player in the reserves, your coach may say 'player x is more of a back-up player' and gives you the option to change his squad status. This to me is the coaches way of saying he's a back up for the first team so maybe take him out of the reserves.

Obviously this needs expanding on though as that option will only work if the player in question already has a too low squad status set.

That's really only for the squad status for the 1st team.

That's really only for the squad status for the 1st team.

It depends how you interpret it IMO. Ive had u18 players set to 'decent' and the coach will recommend that they are 'hot prospect'. Now to me a u18 hot prospect would probably be able to cope with the odd reserve game or even be a key member of the reserve squad. So you could interpret that as the coach saying move them to the reserves.

It depends how you interpret it IMO. Ive had u18 players set to 'decent' and the coach will recommend that they are 'hot prospect'. Now to me a u18 hot prospect would probably be able to cope with the odd reserve game or even be a key member of the reserve squad. So you could interpret that as the coach saying move them to the reserves.
I've found it a lot less frequent with youth players, my idea just helps the interaction between the different squad levels.

Not really the point though - the OP is talking about a move FROM the Reserves TO the first-team.

Yes and no. He also talked about players going from the youths to the reserves.

It's already in the game if you read different reports and look at performances. And as stated, youth players can play for the reserves if they are in the youth squad anyway.

Yes and no. He also talked about players going from the youths to the reserves.

It's already in the game if you read different reports and look at performances. And as stated, youth players can play for the reserves if they are in the youth squad anyway.

The "no" bit is the most important...

There is, however, no interaction or feedback from your coaches for the youth -> reserves jump, which would be nice. It humanises the coaches somewhat.

Archived