Should training and youth facilities decline in quality over time?

I've downloaded a future save for my FM09 game, set in 2108 with all the English leagues loaded.

Every club in the top two tiers has top training and youth facilities and youth academies, because over the course of 100 years they've all invested and once the facilities have been upgraded they don't decline.

Maybe the quality should be dynamic? If everyone in the championship upgrades to the top quality, then those at the top of the premiership for example should be able to upgrade further?

Just seems a bit too static for me.

It IS dynamic in FM2011. The quality goes down once in a while and you have to reupgrade again.

I wouldn't say re-upgrade exactly. You aren't maintaining the current standards, you are taking on new technology/techniques.

No, it shouldn't - certainly not in the way it's done in the game. You do pay for maintenance of your facilities, after all.

It should be something like "Board investing heavily in facilities => Facilities go up"/"Board investing in facilities => Facilities stay stagnant (i.e. where they are)"/"Board cutting back on facilities (perhaps due to cost-cutting) => Facilities decline".

No, it shouldn't - certainly not in the way it's done in the game. You do pay for maintenance of your facilities, after all.

It should be something like "Board investing heavily in facilities => Facilities go up"/"Board investing in facilities => Facilities stay stagnant (i.e. where they are)"/"Board cutting back on facilities (perhaps due to cost-cutting) => Facilities decline".

How much are the maintaince costs? Are they essentially what you'd expect the heat, water and electricity bills to be, or much more?

How much are the maintaince costs? Are they essentially what you'd expect the heat, water and electricity bills to be, or much more?

I wouldn't know - I don't run a building.

What I do know is that companies in general don't stop developing facilities all of a sudden then upgrade - it's a continuous process.

If you maintain State of the Art facilities, how long before they aren't? Time must surely degrade the quality and effectiveness of certain facilities which will eventually require an upgrade.

If you maintain State of the Art facilities, how long before they aren't? Time must surely degrade the quality and effectiveness of certain facilities which will eventually require an upgrade.

Not if you continuously maintain and improve it little-by-little. Better research facilities and backroom staff, buying new machines over time, expanding to new facilities... All this should be covered in yearly maintenance expenditure.

Not everything has to be a "big-bang" change.

My argument is basically that you shouldn't get an email like "The board have decided to improve the training facilities" once in a blue moon - it should be continuously improved over time.

For clubs that don't have the best resources, this email might of course appear - because they want to improve it. The maintenance fee should simply keep it at the level it is at.

Archived