do striker-less formations work in FM11?

So I just lost the Premier League on the last day of the season due mostly to RVP and Chamakh averaging a whopping 6.1 average in the last 7 games of the season. This isn't a particularly new phenomenon as I've noticed strikers just tend to shut down towards the end of the season. My thinking, then, is that I'll attempt to shift a striker-less formation at the end of next season as I find mid-fielders don't seem to succumb to the ole' "So-and-so didn't have much luck in front of goal today, why do you think that is?" scripted goal slump.

So does anyone have any experience with striker-less formations in FM11? Do they work or do mid-fielders just start heading everything to unmarked opposing centrebacks?

EDIT: On the bright side, I did just whip Real's butt in the Champions League final, I guess Iker Casillas isn't as intimidating as Scott Carson.

Never really had a proper go at strikerless formations. I can see the potential in it but my current side isn't quite so good in midfield to be relied on for goals so I need the striker up top. I've seen a few cases with Barcelona and putting Messi in the AMC spot and replicating his Barcelona role by getting him to drop deep into midfield and then pushes forward with the ball at his feet. The potential is there but I haven't tried so I can't give a definite answer on it

Considering how goal-shy my side is while I'm playing with a striker, I shudder to think how many seasons it would take me to score a goal playing without one. I've toyed in my head with ideas about false-9's , strikerless formations, 4-6-0's etc, but tbh I can't see it working without absolutely top-quality players. The demands would require huge amounts of intelligence, off-the-ball movement, and the physical attributes to keep it going for 90 mins. In short, my team as it currently stands hasn't got a hope.

Yes, it can work.

I've had sustained success playing with a 4-6-0 for about 40% of my games. I use wide two wide strikers who dribble up the byline from ML/MR, three central midfielders and either a trequarista as my playmaker AMC or a beefy AMC as my target man.

What tends to happen is the balls are played in short to my AMC, who either takes the ball on themselves, or else puts it into a channel for my two winger-strikers. I find it works best against teams that play a wide game, otherwise the back four tend to be impossible to pry apart.

Archived