Suggestion: Opening screens in new "tabs"

Hi. I was wondering today (not sure if this has been posted already) if a tab system would work in FM09. Much like Firefox/IE, you could open multiple pages (player profiles, club screens, whatever) at once and there'd be a tab dealy across the top.

It makes browsing t'internet much easier so I can only assume it would help with FM too.

Cheers

• SI Staff

It's certainly something that would be quite useful when doing things like player searches and that sort of thing for popping open multiple profile screens.

Originally posted by LFC Lloydy:

I have thought about this before and think it would be really useful. It would make many things much more convenient like Ter has suggested.

Gets a icon14.gif from me.

Would be fantastic. For example when trying to figure out if potential coaches are better than your existing ones. Right now it's about 4 screens to get through just to do the comparison.

You have to think Ter is dropping hints here though.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You have to think Ter is dropping hints here though.

Well I'm not. It's posts like that that discourage us posting at all icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah...noted. Sorry about that.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You have to think Ter is dropping hints here though.

Well I'm not. It's posts like that that discourage us posting at all icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that what happened to Cleon in the GPTG?

She hasnt been there for ages, its getting a bit stupid TBH...

• 1 month later...

my idea is the idea of tabs. (sorry if this has been posted before!)

Quick photshop idea im talking about: (Had to put the picture in the post because link wouldnt work

footballmanagertabs.jpg

i feel this would help especially when searching for players during transfer windows. i hate clicking on one player, then moving on to the next, then finding myself wanting to go back. takes an age. whereas this idea lets you move between players quickly and easy.

Only so long as you can turn them off. I hate tabs. Plus, we'll get inundated with posts from people who get stuck in the game because they haven't noticed the tab for the screen they actually want and can't get off the screen they're on...

• 1 month later...

Yeah I imagine it would be optional. Saying that, it has to be optional - you don't have to open new tabs if you don't want to; just like in our web browsers today.

Browsing the FM world while middle clicking to open new tabs and filtering through them I think would add to the already-easy navagation.

Not sure how it would be implemented though, what would happen if we hit continue while several tabs were open? Would they just automatically close? Seems fairly on the tricky side of things!

:confused:

I like the idea of this but I would imagine that there might be implications in terms of processing speed.

As processing speed is already a little bit of an ongoing issue with those of us paupers trying to run FM on low end spec machines I am not sure how realistic this is.

Rather than just be negative though, I like the idea, just as long as you don't have a NASA supercomputer to run the game on.

Maybe the answer is to make stuff like this "tickable" in the pre-game options to give everyone the option of taking advantage of stuff like this if they have the hardware available.

I like the idea of this but I would imagine that there might be implications in terms of processing speed.

As processing speed is already a little bit of an ongoing issue with those of us paupers trying to run FM on low end spec machines I am not sure how realistic this is.

Rather than just be negative though, I like the idea, just as long as you don't have a NASA supercomputer to run the game on.

Maybe the answer is to make stuff like this "tickable" in the pre-game options to give everyone the option of taking advantage of stuff like this if they have the hardware available.

I'm not sure why tabs would require much extra processing power. All it is doing is loading screens, just as you usually do, the only difference is they stay open while you look at another. If anything it would only use a bit more memory

Anyway about having a slow computer, it's not very fair to expect developers to keep going out of their way to keep making games run on ancient technology. At some point system requirements have to go up

But having said that, when possible the best compromise is to have an option where we can choose to use it or not, to make both sets of people happy

Tabbed browsing should always be optional.

Well it has to be, you either open one or you don't.

I'm not sure why tabs would require much extra processing power.

That's what i was thinking, can't be overly demanding surely.

As for tabbed browsing i'm all in favour of it, it would make things a whole lot easier and it could always be expanded on such as having in-match tabs so as well as having split screens with say the pitch and live scores you could have a tab open with the live league table etc.

Tabs are great.

Also: Hotkeys for bookmarks? Otherwise I'm never using bookmarks because its usually just as many clicks to nav to the bookmark as to just go there manually. Tabs would easily replace the current bookmark system, but books could be better too...

• 1 year later...

Archived