Defender collect and Center-Backs

Is this option only supposed to work with full-backs?

Everytime i set it to a full-back it works fine, sure there is the occasional punt up the pitch but most of the time the keeper distributes to the full back with no problem at all.

But if i set it to distribute to my centerback, the keeper will just long kick it all the time, i can see my center back dropping deep to collect it, he isn't being closed down but the keeper will just kick it up the pitch even when it's a goal kick..

I don't specify who to pass to... and he passes it mostly to the left-back... *shrugs* but he does pass it to the right-back and both central defenders as well, just less frequently with the right-back being second choice. He has also, on occasion, deliberately passed it to a winger in a deep position...

That's the impression I get. I wondered if it was because the DCs are always marked by their FCs, while full backs are always in space.

It seems so, it's a shame because my starting CB has particularly good composure and decisions so i was looking to make him a ball playing defender.

It makes sense. If you have it set to passing to a FB, and towards the end of the game the opposition are chasing the game and they change to a four striker system (4-2-4 for example), the keeper will start doing long goalkicks as he can see the opposition are pushed very high up the field, and your fullbacks will now have markers.

I wonder how it would work in a back three system though? I suppore you could pass to the central (sweeper-esque) one, but the other two would be considered marked.

can you not specify the player you want the keeper to pass too? I usually have mines going to the full backs as my defenders are big lumps only good for tackling and heading.

Yes, but if the specified player is marked, he's still not going to give that player the ball, makes sense imho.

The thing is that's not what's happening and yes i specified the center-back.

There's a goal kick and the opposition is miles away and my center back is dropping deep to get the ball with nobody near him and the keeper still prefers to punt it up the pitch.

I don't agree with the marking argument because the same thing happens against lone striker formations when my center back has tons of space.. and yet if you set it to distribute to a full back that is promptly closed down by pushed up wingers the keeper will always do that.

I can't check now but since i use the TC i suppose his mentality changes according to the strategy i'm using.

I forgot to mention that his passing is set on the first notch of mixed(7), could be messing with the distribution i suppose.

Archived