Using the same tactic all the time... bad?

Do you guys think the game punishes you for using the same tactic all the time, especially against the same opponent? I'm wondering if you'd find yourself stymied after a while if, as in real life, teams prepare for what you will obviously do..

I have used the same tactic home and away in the last 4 versions of the game with no problem at all - I never change my tactics as i use the philosophy that I play to my strengths and let everyone else try and crack my tactics. When I buy players I buy only players that fit in with my modified 442 - this way I do not need to change the tactic.

With a super team you can pretty much stick with the same plug in and play tactic, anyone else and you'll have to tinker a little from time to time (in my experience at least). I have a standard 4-3-3 which I'll adjust, but never stray completely from. It does seem to me if you stick with a tactic, the AI will very suddenly find you out and you have to adjust quickly, even very weak teams can run all over you.

As Real Madrid on FM10 I never had to tweak anything, my team was just so good. It actually got boring.

Well, "The game punishing you" isn't the correct term. It's more the AI adapts to your tactics after some seasons to counter it...but for some reason, I don't see the same with national teams (Or it takes more time in this case)

ok not trying to be an ass here but i am my beloved manchester city and this is what i have won in 6 seasons using the same tactic throughout

6 Premier League titles

4Champions League titles

4 F.A.Cups

4 European Super cups

4 World club championships

3 League cups

4 Community shields and manager of the year every year. so in answer to your actual question i say no but that could all depend on me buying the best players for my tactic when i am other teams i have thought similair to you.

I have two tactics. A 4-4-2 counter and a 4-5-1 counter. I have just started a new gamne with an update with West Ham in the Championship. Lost two early on but then went on a 9 match winning streak leaving me top. Just lost 3 in a row, two of those to bottom end teams. It does make me wonder sometimes!!!

With my current save, I have an overall tactical philosophy and style of play, rather than a particular tactic. That encompasses the use of three formations, but utilises most of the same positions and roles between the three shapes. Anything else I change is done via the shouts. Important for me also, is usage of media interaction (mind games) and opposition instructions, plus a flexibility to change things during matches themselves.

I think much depends on who you're managing, what players you have and how suited they are to your tactical approach.

For example, in the long-term I'd love to embrace a Barcelona-esque philosophy and style of play. At the moment though, it simply wouldn't work with the players available to me, so I'm perhaps the most aggressive, direct, high-tempo side in Liga BBVA with Granada CF. Against the bigger clubs, I get more physical, more defensive, but still have attacking impetus in a direct way with a big man up top, embracing "Anti-Football". It actually works rather well, but I have the sort of players capable of making it work.

So, to incorporate the Barça-esque style, I'd have to bring in some of the best players around. My club can afford neither the transfer fees or the wages to do so, therefore getting to a stage where my side can be a "flair team", will require me developing my own players from youth.

Basically, if you've got a collection of some of the best players in the game available to you, it's arguably easier to stick with one tactic or overall approach and not have to change much. If you've not got the best players around, then you may find you'll have to work a little harder tactically, or be more flexible tactically, in order to get results.

I don't believe that in FM2011 you can set a single tactic and win everything season after season without modification!!!?. I myself have a 4-3-2-1 main formation and two modified versions of it a 4-1-2-1-2 and a 4-2-2-2 set up in my Match Prep screen. I use the main tactic mostly but the team settings are different for mostly every game. If I am playing on a long pitch for example I will use either direct or default passing, likeways I will set it to short passing on a short pitch. I will also set my strategy to anything from Defensive to Attacking depending on opponent and my Width, Tempo, Defensive Line and Time Wasting are also altered on a pre and during match basis. Likewise the pre match mind games at the press cons are important as are the pre/mid/apres team talks. On top of that I use various touchline shouts and in game mods to my team settings. In this way it is more or less impossible for the AI match engine to "suss" my tactic as it is constantly changing on a match to match basis just like real football. I've been playing the FM series since the Eidos CM01/02 days and know enough about it to say that anyone setting up a single tactic and strategy then pressing play while going on holiday etc in FM2011 and winning everything every season is either incredibly lucky, cheating or more likely just plain lying.

you clearly do not know that much then, the AI NEVER susses your tactics, its a myth that gets banded about the forums because the tactics people have tried using are not good enough. Secondly if you have good players and a solid tactic there is no reason at all to make big changes for each game, it will prob do more harm than good. Ill say it again, 16 seasons, 1 tactic, minor adjustments here and there and ive had huge success, its also the same tactic i have used in the past 3 versions of this game.

With big teams it's generally OK, cause you can get the best players, but smaller teams where you rely more on tactics than players, it can be a problem.

But the game does hint at it for you! If you go on a bad run, sometimes there'll be a news item saying something along the lines of "So and so have lost again as the manager refuses to change tactics. Pundits and the media alike are suggesting a fresh approach may be needed."

I don't think the AI does work out your tactics, but would it be a bad thing if it did?

I am 7 seasons into my current game as Liverpool and for the first 2 or 3 seasons Chelsea always got the better of me. They always play a 4-1-2-1-2 formation and over time, I have learnt how to beat their system (mainly by exploiting the flanks since they have a narrow midfield) and now have beaten them every time we've met over the last 4 seasons.

So they kept the same tactic throughout and I have learnt how to beat it. What is wrong with them being able to do the same to me? Would make the game more interesting.

After all, it's called AI. It should be more intelligent.

• 5 weeks later...

I used the same tactic in every game I played, a modified 442. One thing i noticed though was that although it was successful, I ended up buying the same players for the same positions in every game, which took some of the fun out of the game as I knew what I was expecting. I've now trying to develop a 451 and a 433 to 'find' some new players,

The game doesn't figure out your tactics. I usually use one basic tactic for each save with touchline shouts to adapt to weather and waste time when holding a lead. What people see as tactic-cracking is actually players succumbing to complacency, jadedness and/or pressure towards the end of a season. It's not so much your tactic failing as your players just becoming crap.

I've used a 4-1-2-1-2 formation with Sampdoria in Serie A for about seven game years, and I have four league titles to my name. So no, using the same tactic over and over is not necessarily bad. That being said, while my tactic/formation combo are excellent in the league, I have consistently fallen short of expectations in the Champions League, never advancing beyond the quarters. This next season I'm working on a second tactic to use in Europe.

I have now won 12 consecutive La Liga titles with Sevilla, and the last 7 or 8 with the same tactic. So no, i wouldn't say so. Teams may adapt and try different things, but if you have the perfect players for that tactic, then it shouldn't matter.

AI adapts to the reputation of your team. Not the tactic/formation of your team.

When I've decided a formation (and tactic) I stick with it and buy/train players to suit it. I do alter tactics a bit, though, depending on weather and form.

I never change my tactic.

4-3-1-2 everything set to default and I'm the best manager on these boards. SI consult me on my awesomeness.

My sister has a band, and they play the same way as in guitarist, singer, bass player and drummer as the Beatles did, but they aint the Beatles...meaning it's the players in the band, not what they play that makes my band of brothers on FM better than anyone's here.

Archived