So how much does FM REALLY cost you?

Just a bit of fun for a rainy day. I, for one, can get very angry when playing this game (what can I say? I care), and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So have you ever damaged anything of note after some horrendous loss? How much, over the years, has the cost of damaged goods been as a result of FM?

My combined total so far is two glasses, a broken picture frame as a result of objects being thrown and the case of FM09 :lol:

So let's hear it from you, fellow FMers. And remember - the first step to resolving your problem is admitting that you have one :D

Not out of anger of breaking something. But a few years back on a previous FM. I think it was 09. I had a printer with the computer I played it on at the time. I would celebrate alot when I scored which one day made the printer fall off of the computer and break :(. Apart from that I haven't broken anything.

On the contrary, FM saves me money. Instead of going to the pub every night I will stay in and play FM.

I've never got that angry with the game that I need to break anything. If you do that, you might want to think about professional help...

FM costs me a major PC upgrade every few years, I'm now on my 4th completely new rig since I came back to PC gaming in 2001. I hate to think about how much I've really spent just to play one game, thankfully the i7 I bought a few years ago is still going strong.

I've never got that angry with the game that I need to break anything. If you do that, you might want to think about professional help...

This....it can be a frustrating game but never to the point i damage something because of it, if i ever did that then i'd quit playing games altogether.

This years FM has cost me nothing, the missus bought me it and I don't get angry or wound up whilst playing it. Probably costing me my sanity as I try to win a premiership title whilst paying much lower wages and using 4-4-2.

Well, I got myself a new computer in december, and FM was more or less the only game I was planning to play (once I found out F1 2010 and FIFA/PES were awful/boring anyway even on a brand new machine).

(to be fair, the previous PC was 4 years old, so it was time to upgrade...)

In terms of "collateral damages" FM costed me several keybords, two mouses, a mug and two old t-shirts...

I think a laptop melting was possibly down to FM, although it wasn't a great laptop and could well have just been a fault.

I'd love to blame FM for lost time during school/university but being honest I'd have only found something else to do to waste my time.

I broke my notepad when I threw it at the corner of the table and sheets of paper went flying through the air like the end game on the Crystal Maze. I also snapped my pen but never damaged anything worth more than a quid or so.

6 consecutive versions of FM - approximately £150

a new computer - £350

snack food - too much money, plus the fact i am now up to 13st (not bad for my 6'2" height, but still, not what it was)

a lack of time to devote to essays and work

a lack of social life (although gives me and some of my mates an extra topic of conversation)

several exasperated and dodgy looks from my poor other half who watches me shout at the screen

overall - fairly costly!

Just sleep really, the countless times I've spend an extra hour or so on the game late at night has been pretty rough.

I have occaisonally rage hit something, but usually little more than a slap on the table or nearby surface when something annoying happens (offside goals, cup final loses etc), but nothing financial...

Yet.

I am self employed and can bill as much time as I can put in at $95/hour. According to steam I spent 1564 hours playing FM 2010 and 1170 hours playing FM 2011--all since May 2010.

1564 plus 1170 = 2734 times $95 = $259,730.

Why did I make this calculation?

Actually it is not quite that bad since I have left the game on and gone off to do other things for hours at a time. Steam counts that as playing time. And I simply could not have put that much additional time working without going crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

one hoover, and a tin of paint for my ceiling, random i know but the hoover was from a all night session munching on wine gums, i nipped the champs league final and threw the sweets up in the air in joy..the hoover fround one i missed and poor dyson kopped it

the ceiling i had a cup of tea in my hand and jumped up on a save in fm08, i forget why now but tea went all over the ceiling, i re painted before the mrs was home from new york.. 1 can of lynx and a bottle of febreeze dident hide the paint smell though...busted

See I thought this thread was going to be lovely and mundane and speak about the cost of the game + the machine one plays it on + the amount of electricity used + the amount of internet time to read people's fcuking replies on a forum = Rather cheap compared to the things I would have spent money on to occupy my time.

I haven't broke anything, my education hasn't suffered too badly. If things go badly I just turn to CoD and go on a bit of a tear, usually sorts me out then I return to trying to sort out a poor end of season, which happens a lot to me. I'd find other ways to spend time so I don't think it's that negative of an influence on me :)

Archived