Expectations of fans, bookies, media pre-match analysis and football

I was wondering yesterday about that after the last game of my Ajax save. In 2012 I got drawn in Champions Cup group against Arsenal, Rangers and SC Lille. All fairly strong teams, no minnows in this group.

Now about expectations:

1) My (manager) expectations - obviously I try to win home games against Lille and Rangers + try to grab some points from away games. Arsenal is a favorite, but a draw against them (in any stadium) would be good too. Overall I'd be happy to progress, satisfied with 3rd place, but wouldn't be very downhearted with 4th.

2) Fans expectations - firstly, they're happy that we play in CC group stage. Obviously it's hard to demand something from the team of our reputation, but some points and some good games would obviously please fans.

3) Board expectations - confidence screen says that minimum expectation for team is to reach group stage of Champions Cup. As this target is already met they're satisfied/pleased, anything else should be a bonus.

Now, first game against Rangers. Away.

1) Bookies have made Rangers slight favorite (6-4).

2) Fans are 'hopeful before tight clash', meaning that draw would be OK, but win would slightly even exceed expectations (as I understand it)

3) Pre-match analyzes say that commentators expect Rangers and Ajax to cancel each other out and perhaps Rangers are slight favorites, but they expect this game to end with a draw.

Now - the game itself ends with Ajax 2-1 win. Comments about the game:

1) Rangers had more of the possession (54-46)

2) Shots (on target): Ajax 13(4), Rangers 15(6). Fairly even, Rangers slightly better.

3) Game analysis (I regard this part fairly important as it shows which side had actually better chances): Ajax had 1 CCC + 5 half-chances, Rangers had just 2 half-chances despite their possession.

Now. After the game my fans are 'satisfied' with a win (52%). I feel a bit harsh done by that. I feel I was slight underdog and I'm fairly pleased with away win in this group.

Secondly, media describes the game as a 'somewhat fortuitous win for Ajax'. Why fortuitous?? I clearly created better chances (see match analyzes part) and overall the game was fairly even (number of shots).

My point is that these things should be overlooked to become more realistic. I feel that my players worked hard and played very well to get a good win against tough opponent, but they receive very little credit from media and fans. I'd be disappointed with that as a football player.

Archived