How big of a deal is it to exceed 75,000 players?

Matters your computer. I run every league in every country just fine.

no you don't

I just started a game that has 89,000 players. Is this going to be an issue at all?

it is all about your PC performance. how many stars did it give you at the bottom of the screen?

How do you know that he doesn't?

for many reasons! first of all I have a beast PC myself and I have some problems loading more players than I do at this time. Secondly, I mostly commented on the "just fine" part. What many people think is that by loading many players/ leagues etc you will have lagging problems, during the matches problems etc, but the most significant problems are with the loading. That is why the friend probably doesn't mind waiting many many seconds for a day to pass

I can't really answer this question without knowing how patient you are. If you're prepared to wait minutes while your PC chugs away and spend two months on a season then the more players the better. If you want that result NOW, try fewer.

I've found by trial and error that ~50,000 players is my max for a ten-plus year game.

unless your playing for 2-3 seasons very max the game will not work with all the playable leagues loaded, there is just too much data, this has been said been said by SI dev's a few times.

+1, just imagine that only by loading a large database and 3-4 leagues (in a very beastly PC) my 10 years save is close to 1Gb

I'm on a crappy laptop, retaining every player, but only running England (down to and including Blue Square Prem). The game slows up considerably around the transfer window times, but other than that, its been fine.

I'm "old school" anyway, so I find it weird playing FM when everything loads so quickly. I'd rather it chug along so that I can do other stuff whilst i'm playing/clicking

I have a decent PC which I bought in December and I have found that roughly 60 000 players and 7-10 nations, 14-20 leagues, give a good balance of players and speed.

However, I tried to load only the league I play in but customized the database so that I got like 70 000 players and this makes the game progress much faster. This speed + players comes with a trade-off too, though: there are lots of players, true enough, but without nations and leagues loaded there is much less realism in the game world. The game becomes much easier as you can get top top players from top clubs quite easily and cheaply, and the results of the European competitions become weirder. Scouting other leagues (like foreign u19 leagues) is one of the best ways of finding players but you can't do this when loading only one league.

I recommend loading just enough leagues to have from 1 to 2 stars in game speed, with a large database, and leave it at that.

About 40 active leagues and 130,000 players for me :D

Don't give a stuff about game speed, more concerned with discovering the odd beast of a regen playing for a club in the Mozambique lower leagues.

for many reasons! first of all I have a beast PC myself and I have some problems loading more players than I do at this time. Secondly, I mostly commented on the "just fine" part. What many people think is that by loading many players/ leagues etc you will have lagging problems, during the matches problems etc, but the most significant problems are with the loading. That is why the friend probably doesn't mind waiting many many seconds for a day to pass

Haha. Your bad luck then. I run every league also and it runs well.

5 seasons in now.

my pc must be a good one, i guess? ;)

I usually play with about 40-50k players. I find that's a good number and performance is still decent - I am fortunate to have a fairly good computer. Playing the strawberry demo (with just a few thousand) I found it nigh on impossible to sign anyone after promotion.

I'm running a carreer game with about 90k players and a lot of leagues running. I'm in my fifth season and it's running VERY slowly so I'm probably going to have to start a new game. Probably Only a matter of time before it starts crashing as well.

I wish I'd realised before I started the game but now I think about it, I'm getting stoked to start a new carreer game!

In case anybody is wondering about my specs.

Quad 2.66ghz

2 gig of ram

GTS 250 1mb

Vista 32

I'm running a carreer game with about 90k players and a lot of leagues running. I'm in my fifth season and it's running VERY slowly so I'm probably going to have to start a new game. Probably Only a matter of time before it starts crashing as well.

I wish I'd realised before I started the game but now I think about it, I'm getting stoked to start a new carreer game!

In case anybody is wondering about my specs.

Quad 2.66ghz

2 gig of ram

GTS 250 1mb

Vista 32

Get more ram! 2 gigs is awful, especially on Vista.

I usually play with around 200k to 250k players and quite a lot of playable leagues running.

Sure it's slow going sometimes processing data, but I don't rush through saves and am usually online browsing whilst I play. I also don't tend to get past five or six seasons on a save, because by that time, I fancy a new challenge.

I'm a sucker for detail, so it's difficult for me to only have a few leagues selected. :(

I've got about 150k players loaded in my computer, the only thing I can say is that FM seems a bit of a slouch on a faster processor. Periodically it will enter a sluggish period of responsiveness, however, it doesn't then utilise more of my processors it just sort of keeps ambling away with low usage. The only time FM really picks up any processing power for me is when its entering a game, and that is done very quickly. Due to FM's very low resource usage it can often be left on alongside another game. The only games that don't like me being in a match on FM whilst playing them are Dragon age 2 and the Witcher 2 lol.

I've been trying but the mobo I have is so ridiculously tempremental with ram I've tried about 4 types so far. It's a new mobo as well so I don't want to buy a new one.

I've been trying but the mobo I have is so ridiculously tempremental with ram I've tried about 4 types so far. It's a new mobo as well so I don't want to buy a new one.

Download CPU-Z and check the RAM speeds. If you currently have dual channel RAM and then try adding non-dual channel or dual channel RAM of different speeds it can begin to cause problems and you have to work around it through the BIOS.

It tends to be safest to just add more of the same brand, same speed RAM you had as before due to the fact some manufacturers also send their RAM out with different timings and voltage requirements.

It tends to be safest to just add more of the same brand, same speed RAM you had as before due to the fact some manufacturers also send their RAM out with different timings and voltage requirements.

I tried but the only RAM that works is now obsolete. Whats really annoying is I found the same RAM once and but it was a 2 gig stick (the original ram is one gig sticks) and it wouldn't work. Bizarre eh.

unless your playing for 2-3 seasons very max the game will not work with all the playable leagues loaded, there is just too much data, this has been said been said by SI dev's a few times.

I've had saves with every league playable & with a large/huge database on FM08, 09 & 10.

I can't remember how far I got on 8 & 9 but FM10 lasted to around 2018/19 before becoming unplayable.

I haven't tried on FM11 as I've gone for a bit more speed this year in my save but I'm confident I could at least match the performance of FM10.

I've had saves with every league playable & with a large/huge database on FM08, 09 & 10.

I can't remember how far I got on 8 & 9 but FM10 lasted to around 2018/19 before becoming unplayable.

I haven't tried on FM11 as I've gone for a bit more speed this year in my save but I'm confident I could at least match the performance of FM10.

Yeah thinking about it my 2-3 seasons is prob a bit low, you might get up to 9-10 years if you can handle the speed, but im sure after a certain point the game will start to struggle.

I'm on a crappy laptop, retaining every player, but only running England (down to and including Blue Square Prem). The game slows up considerably around the transfer window times, but other than that, its been fine.

I'm "old school" anyway, so I find it weird playing FM when everything loads so quickly. I'd rather it chug along so that I can do other stuff whilst i'm playing/clicking

Please, this is an all-age forum ;)

It also depends on what you consider fast, yeah? I am running about 150k players and it slows during the windows a bit, but nothing bad. If you want days processes in under 3 seconds as a standard, then what I have is slow, but 10 second waits on processing time as an average is fine for me, and when it chugs, I do like Boris Dollar, read, surf the net etc. It's always the tradeoff- lightning speed or extra detail in your game world, rarely can you have both at optimum levels.

RAM has less effect on FM game speed than you'd like to think.

My current lappy is an i-7 Sandy Bridge processor running at 2.2GHZ (Quad Core) and has 8GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64bit. I've run numerous tests and FM never uses more than 2.4GB on my rig.

Processor speed trumps RAM every time when playing FM. Save your money.

RAM has less effect on FM game speed than you'd like to think.

My current lappy is an i-7 Sandy Bridge processor running at 2.2GHZ (Quad Core) and has 8GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64bit. I've run numerous tests and FM never uses more than 2.4GB on my rig.

Processor speed trumps RAM every time when playing FM. Save your money.

Well, the problem with running FM on only 2 gb ram on Vista is that it is a demandig game performance-wise and most of the 2gb is taken up by Vista itself. I had a laptop with 2gb memory and played FM several hours a week (up to every day). I did this for two years before the harddisk started failing. You see, when the memory is taken, the hd is running all the time. I have no evidence to blame FM for the short-lived hd, but it was by far the most demanding program I regularly ran on that computer so I suspect that it was at least part of the reason it died.

Well, the problem with running FM on only 2 gb ram on Vista is that it is a demandig game performance-wise and most of the 2gb is taken up by Vista itself. I had a laptop with 2gb memory and played FM several hours a week (up to every day). I did this for two years before the harddisk started failing. You see, when the memory is taken, the hd is running all the time. I have no evidence to blame FM for the short-lived hd, but it was by far the most demanding program I regularly ran on that computer so I suspect that it was at least part of the reason it died.

I hear you about Vista!

And ouch, to the hard drive failing - empathise with you there!

On my old desktop if my hard drive is going crazy, I always turn the amount of Virtual Memory (paging file) down, so it is forced to use hardware RAM rather than disk space.

Click on the link below and download the crucial scanner. It will scan your computer and tell you exactly what type of ram will work with your motherboard.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

While your waiting to install more ram try downloading gamebooster which is a free program that will temporarily stop any processes running in the background that your computer doesnt need running to work properly. This will help with the performance of FM a bit.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5952

Click on the link below and download the crucial scanner. It will scan your computer and tell you exactly what type of ram will work with your motherboard.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

While your waiting to install more ram try downloading gamebooster which is a free program that will temporarily stop any processes running in the background that your computer doesnt need running to work properly. This will help with the performance of FM a bit.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5952

Extremely useful.

Thank you!

• Administrators

Depends on your system but if you go over the limit there is a chance your system will eventually run out of memory to run that save game and we won't be able to do anything to help. That's why we originally put the warning in place.

Depends on your system but if you go over the limit there is a chance your system will eventually run out of memory to run that save game and we won't be able to do anything to help. That's why we originally put the warning in place.

I take it you guys have a set up that allows you to run every playable league in full detail at once yeah?

How do you see your limit? I have an HP ENVY 17 with an i7 processor, 8 gig of RAM and 640 HD. I usually run around 100,000 players. It gives my PC performance 5 stars, but speed 1 star when I select this.

I love detail and loading as many leagues as possible, but don't was too many long loading screens.

Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...
no you don't

You don't even know the guys pc specs , just because you cant doesn't mean others cant , i run all game leagues and retain loads of players using a retain players file and i run the game without issues . the game takes almost half an hour to create but apart from that it runs fine

Its all about your patience. I play with about 160000 players on an average computer. It takes too much to pass from a day to another but if you are patient like me, it will not create so much problem. I am now in 2017, have a slower game but happy with it. By the way, the game will be slower as years pass.

Guest SCIAG2
Sooooooo, would buying an external hard drive and shoving everything else on to that mean my laptop would run FM faster and allow me a higher recommended player limit?

Only if the size of your file was the limiting factor and you had no free space. You'd probably be better served by upgrading RAM, or purchasing a computer with a better processor, though that won't be cheap.

Seconded. I play with two monitors, so there is plenty of time to read the news online or hop on this forum while the other screen has FM chugging away.

Correction, 2gigs is rubbish on Windows; my Linux machine is blazingly fast with 2gigs, and was very fast with a single gig not long ago. Besides, processor cache space is way more important regardless.

I've never got past a season, but since I hate waiting I normally pick 5-7 leagues even with my computer being rated 5stars.

Archived