S.I Hiring - Will you apply?

I think the only thing which concerns me at present is that it is a 3 month contract, other than that I think I would jump at the chance. I dont think my missus would appreciate me leaving a full time job to potentially be part of the thousands of unemployed after the 3month period.

Shame considering QA is a vital part of my current role. Saying that I might apply for the interview experience in this sector.

Thoughts? Will you guys apply? If not why not?

It is the same every year around this time with QA, I was going to apply but you need to live near London and commute every day and people think it is just testing the game which it is not - it is actually trying to explot the game, break it and trying to replicate bugs on demand and maybe several times.

Saying that if it is July, August, September I may apply depending on Uni/money and good luck if you do apply Chris :).

It is the same every year around this time with QA, I was going to apply but you need to live near London and commute every day and people think it is just testing the game which it is not - it is actually trying to explot the game, break it and trying to replicate bugs on demand and maybe several times.

Saying that if it is July, August, September I may apply depending on Uni/money and good luck if you do apply Chris :).

I dont live any where near london, commuting is a no go really, but yeah I just want the interview really just to gauge the questions and the experience. Plus as stated the major no no is the 3month contract.

I'm too young by 3 months, but if I was old enough, no:

1) Only a three month contract, better off scrounging off my Dad, heh

2) I intend on working in finance not games, but if in games as a programmer or designer instead of QA

3) Perhaps unbelievable, but I can't spend hours on games. If I try I get inspired to code something myself and give up.

4) Oh yeah, a Wales -> London commute daily would be nice. My Dad's there for a meeting today and it's like a 2hour train journey or something. However it's expensive and on a 37.5hour week then I'd spend an additional 20hours commuting. Overtime would be tough as well.

Pretty much every job in the Games industry is a short term contract - there's very few places that offer permanent positions.

However, if you intend on moving into the games industry as a serious job, having SI on your CV can never be underestimated - they're one of the best names in the industry.

I have to agree with Ackters comments. You would be surprised at quite how many people from SI started out in the QA room on a 3 month contract. If you're serious about getting into the game industry in any fashion, having this kind of experience can really give you that edge.

I have to agree with Ackters comments. You would be surprised at quite how many people from SI started out in the QA room on a 3 month contract. If you're serious about getting into the game industry in any fashion, having this kind of experience can really give you that edge.

Can you reference one who started that way? ;-)

Yourself?

Btw.. I still miss FML :(

Ok, I should have been more specific. The indie game industry interests me most. I love how I can code stuff in my bedroom and then launch it into appstores worldwide. If I was in a company I'd feel too restricted and I kinda enjoy coding applications as well. I feel that I could spend that 747.5hours (including commuting) could be invested more productively into my own projects. Man, if I spend that long on one of my projects it would be awesome, heh.

Ok, I should have been more specific. The indie game industry interests me most. I love how I can code stuff in my bedroom and then launch it into appstores worldwide. If I was in a company I'd feel too restricted and I kinda enjoy coding applications as well. I feel that I could spend that 747.5hours (including commuting) could be invested more productively into my own projects. Man, if I spend that long on one of my projects it would be awesome, heh.

Go for a shameless pulg, would love to see some of your apps, my iphone needs filling

Yourself?

Btw.. I still miss FML :(

I didn't start in the QA department, my FML testing background certainly helped though!

To name a few :

Paul Hecker, David Soley, Graeme Kelly and Craig Hunter (Ter) all started in QA first before moving onto coding / producing / graphics roles within SI.

• SI Staff

More than one off the top of my head:

Graeme Kelly (coder)

Ter (graphics artist)

(there are probably more but Graeme and Ter are the ones who spring to mind)

Also nearly all our full-time QA employee's started out in short-term contract roles.

I didn't start in the QA department, my FML testing background certainly helped though!

To name a few :

Paul Hecker, David Soley, Graeme Kelly and Craig Hunter (Ter) all started in QA first before moving onto coding / producing / graphics roles within SI.

I think it is good for people to know this, that there could be a way of getting into the company providing you have the right match; skills, personality etc.

Not going to apply myself, as I am not living in the UK, although it is a massively attractive job :)

Graeme Kelly (coder)

Ter (graphics artist)

Also nearly all our full-time QA employee's started out in short-term contract roles.

Yes, I think it is good for people to know that. As written above, it is good to tell people that if you do good, maybe you can get an opportinity within SI, or perhaps someone who knows someone. And having a background in a proven QA team certainly helps. (You can always debate if the bug finding and solving process within FM and FML could be better, but that is another discussion).

Good luck finding a good candidate.

Graeme Kelly (coder)

Ter (graphics artist)

Duffy and Miles as well.

• SI Staff
Duffy and Miles as well.

Neither worked in internal QA at SI - before joining SI if I remember right Marc did an unofficial fan-site and Miles did unofficial data updates.

Marc was hired as a web developer initially and Miles came aboard as a business manager initially (they both might have come in and played the game a bit in the early days of the company - but neither was 'formally' in QA to my recollection - however they have both obviously risen somewhat beyond their original roles since joining the company which does show the opportunity for growth here).

Neither worked in internal QA at SI - before joining SI if I remember right Marc did an unofficial fan-site and Miles did unofficial data updates.

Marc was hired as a web developer initially and Miles came aboard as a business manager initially (they both might have come in and played the game a bit in the early days of the company - but neither was 'formally' in QA to my recollection - however they have both obviously risen somewhat beyond their original roles since joining the company which does show the opportunity for growth here).

I'm sure at the start the Collyer's had the whips whipping and got everyone to take part in QA ;)

• SI Staff
I'm sure at the start the Collyer's had the whips whipping and got everyone to take part in QA ;)

Most of us do some 'QA' if you mean ... playing the game continually ;)

(but for the benefit of anyone planning to apply do bear in mind that QA is NOT really playing the game continually, it involves a lot of painstaking duties including trying to repeat specific issues, analysing stats, determine the cause of odd things happening etc. ... if you're expecting to get paid for playing the game you'll probably be disappointed)

That's another reason I wouldn't apply if I was older; trudging through my log files and going through the same sequence of stuff is a sure-fire way for me to hate my games; I wouldn't want to hate FM[H(i)].

I actually enjoy the meticulous approach... PhD is messing with my brain :)

Archived