Cannot load last saved game?

i am having a problem when i need to load my last saved game,

when i create new, i can play..but then abit after/few days later when i come to load it up, the game minimizes and a little error box comes up.. and i says something about cannt load last saved game, and it does it for all of them, could anyone help?

thanks

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/521102691/m/7352046193

It's happening again suggests a problem at your end. I tried to help you then and you stopped responding. If you really want to see if it is at your end (as much as I am capable of doing) then respond to suggestions.

If you are still using XP

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

Highlight the drive that you save FM games on. Most likely it will be named 'Data (Dicon_smile.gif'.

Click 'Analyze' and wait for the message to pop up. Do not press anything while it does this.

A message will pop up when it is done analysing. This will tell you if it needs to be defragmented or not.

Click the button on this pop up message that says 'View Report'.

Click 'Save As' and you will get the typical save file window. On XP it will default to a text file with the name 'Volume D' and a save path of 'My Documents'. Click 'Save'.

Got to My Documents and open the text file called Volume D.

Look in the list of fragmented files for your save game. It will have the user folder directory before it, usually '\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\games\'.

If your game is listed here with a high number of fragments then this might be the cause of your save game being unable to load.

Open up Disk Defragmenter again. Highlight the drive again and click 'Defragment'. If your drive is large and heavily fragmented this can take a long time (in the hours). Now because this takes a long time I will make a suggestion of a quick way to check if fragmentation is the cause of your 'save game could not be loaded message'. If you have a USB Memory Device copy the FM save game to it and try to load it from there using the 'Load game' option. In FM this will default to your user folder so you need to find this USB device to load from there. When you click 'Load game' you get a menu with 'Chooce a File' at the top. In the right hand corner there is a button with 'Up' written on it. Keep clicking this until it greys out. This level shows all of the drives on your computer and the USB Memory device will be one of these. Typically you will have

C: => This is one partition of the drive on your computer where program and operating sytem files get stored

D: => This is a partition on your computer's drive where user data gets stored

E: => This is the CD/DVD drive

The letters may vary but this is what mine looks like and is the default letter allocations for my computer. When I add a device to the computer by plugging it into the USB it gets assigned a letter. On my computer default a USB Memory device is allocated the letter F. So in the FM load game after pressing the Up button until it greys out you will have C, D, E and F. Click on F, locate the save game and double click it to load. If it loads from here without getting the 'save game could not be loaded' then it means your save game file in your user data folder (My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\games) is not loading because it is fragmented. So defragment the drive and it should load again.

If you do not have a USB Memory device but do have a partitioned drive then copy the save file to the other partition and attempt a load from there but this will only confirm/rule out fragmentation as an issue if your other partition is not heavily fragmented as well. Click on My Computer on your desktop. If there are two objects of type 'local disk' it means you have a partitioned drive. The two letters are typically C and D. If you do have C and D, try copying your save file to your desktop and loading it from there.

To do this double click each of these folders in sequence to find where your save file is saved to:-

My Documents->Sports Interactive->Football Manager 2008->games.

Click on the save file that will not load and drag it to the desktop.

When it has copied open FM and click 'Load Game'.

Click the Up button until you reach the top level (the Up button will grey out).

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\{User Name}\Desktop , where {User Name} is a folder with the name of the user account you use when you log on to XP, to find the copied save game and double click it to load.

If it works then it means your drive where you originally saved your FM save game to needs to be defragmented.

As a word of warning if when you ran Disk Defragmenter and selected Analyze the message said you need to defragment then it is recommended that you do this.

I've had this message too, and it came after the FM08 shut down without saving properly. It turned out, though, that the game had been saved by a backup file with the same filename in the same folder.

I found out that if you load the last saved game it seeks for the original file and won't load it. It all went fine, though, when I clicked on the Load Game - folder instead and chose the backup file. Hope it works for you and that your problem is similar to mine.

Have you run defragmenter (if necessary) as explained in the previous post. If

- you have never run defragmenter since getting the computer

- you do a lot of reading and writing to your drive

- your drive is large

- you have a high percentage of your drive filled

then this will probably take a long time (think hours rather than minutes).

How I explained using defragmenter is as simplified as I can explain it. If you still can't follow do a google search of using defragmenter to find a webpage with screenshots.

My knowledge of why this happens is limited and I posted the particular non FM reasons for this happening that I am aware of in your previous thread

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/521102691/m/7352046193

and a couple of possible solutions to prevent it happening in the future.

As I said it keeps happening which suggests a consistent reason for it happening. Reading my post in this thread and your previous thread will help to eliminate some possible causes.

Archived