Is it possible to play FMH on something other than iPhone?

I notice that FMH has been released for a while now on the iPhone, iPad etc. Is it possible to play this version of the game on any other (obviously touchscreen) phone, or is it strictly iPhone only? I really can't afford to pay £400 or whatever for an iPhone or an iPad, and I don't want to own either of those anyway. But it would obviously be nice to be able to play FMH on the go without having to have the PSP with me. And there are lots of other cheaper touchscreen phones out there.

• SI Staff
I notice that FMH has been released for a while now on the iPhone, iPad etc. Is it possible to play this version of the game on any other (obviously touchscreen) phone, or is it strictly iPhone only? I really can't afford to pay £400 or whatever for an iPhone or an iPad, and I don't want to own either of those anyway. But it would obviously be nice to be able to play FMH on the go without having to have the PSP with me. And there are lots of other cheaper touchscreen phones out there.

At the moment its only available on iOS devices - that being said you are aware that the 3gs iPhone is cheap as chips these days (its $99 BEFORE discount here, I presume you can probably get it free in contract in the UK these days) and the smaller iTouch devices are also fairly competitively priced ...

Ok thanks Mark. Looks like the iPhone is at least £100, plus £35/month. Maybe the iPod Touch is the way to go...think I'll stick with my PSP for now though

not sure who you checked with there, I got my iphone 3GS last year for Free @ £35/month, this was before the iphone 4 was released aswell.

*edit

With Vodafone (although I have been a Vodafone customer for best part of 11 years)

Either way I can't afford a £35/month phone contract. So the most likely option would be to pick up an unlocked iPhone and transfer my sim to it, or more likely get an iPod Touch. I listen to mp3's a lot on the go, so at least the iPod Touch would make sense, whereas getting an iPhone just for FMH seems a bit over the top

It does look like you can pick up an iPhone 3GS for free on a £21+ per month contract at the moment, if that's of any interest (based on a 24-month contract with O2). It all depends on what else you would need/want from the device really - if you do listen to MP3s and are completely happy with your current mobile handset/contract, then the iPod Touch would seem more suitable. FMH is supported on all iPod Touches - right back to the very first generation, but while you can probably pick them up cheaply now, the processing power is considerably slower than the later models.

Is there a recommended minimum generation iPod Touch in order to have it running like it does on the current generation?

And how does the game itself compare to the PSP version in terms of features etc? Is it the same, or does it have more than the PSP version? When it comes to leagues, I only ever play with one league active, because I like to have the biggest available player database, which I believe becomes smaller when you have multiple leagues, and also because I never tend to switch leagues in one game.

• SI Staff
Is there a recommended minimum generation iPod Touch in order to have it running like it does on the current generation?

The newer the iTouch the faster it goes basically ;)

Each generation has a different processor and memory - so tends to work a little quicker than the previous one.

(any apart from the first generation iTouch will run faster than the PSP version - with the latest generation iTouch being blisteringly fast :D)

And how does the game itself compare to the PSP version in terms of features etc? Is it the same, or does it have more than the PSP version? When it comes to leagues, I only ever play with one league active, because I like to have the biggest available player database, which I believe becomes smaller when you have multiple leagues, and also because I never tend to switch leagues in one game.

There are slightly more features and suchlike in the iPhone game than on the PSP because of the memory limitations on the PSP device.

• 2 months later...
I run FMH11 on my iPod touch (4th gen) - 8GB, with 3 leagues, and it runs fine. I don't think the 8GB iPod's are that pricey

Another question I have about FMH and the iPod Touch: which is more important for FMH - which generation it is (1st/2nd/3rd/4th), or how much memory it has (8GB/16GB/32GB/64GB), or both? And I would only play 1 league at a time if that helps, because I'm never interested in switching countries mid-career.

I'm considering trading in my PSP and all the games for an iPod Touch, as I only ever play FMH on PSP these days (I tend to play most handheld games on the DS), and it knocks quite a bit off the price. So I've been looking online at preowned ones, and the 8GB ones vary:

iPod Touch 8GB 1st Gen, B £95.00

iPod Touch 8GB 2nd/3rd Gen, B £110.00

iPod Touch 8GB 4th Gen, B £150.00

As for mp3's, I listen to mp3's a lot on my current Sony Ericsson phone. They are actually my edited versions of complete radio shows, so rather than listening to lots of short songs, each mp3 is really long (usually about 2.5 hours). So my other question regarding the iPod Touch is, are they any good for fastforwarding and rewinding through a single mp3? My current phone is really annoying when it comes to doing this...it starts by scanning slowly, then goes really fast really quickly. So if the iPod Touch is any better at this, then at least that would be another reason to get one as well as for FMH!

Oh yeah, another question. Can you get screen protectors for the iPod Touch, like you can for the DS touchscreen? I just know I would be paranoid about the screen otherwise.

• SI Staff

The game itself doesn't use a vast amount of storage and as such that isn't a huge factor, the generation of device will affect its iteration speed - however its pretty nippy on any beyond the 1st generation devices (1st generation is still very playable - but notably slower than the later generations). I'd recommend getting a later device and the largest storage you can get personally, just because I've amazed myself with the amount of junk I put on my iPhone (this is especially vital if like me you think you might want to watch tv shows on the device, I do this down the gym all the time and each 30 minute show takes up between 300-500mb).

For music playing an iPod touch is fantastic imho; although I tend to not jump through a single mp3 so can't comment in that regard (I would expect if the default device doesn't act as you want in this regard .... well ... 'there will be an app for that', sad to quote a marketting phrase I know - but its true there are apps for most things available).

PS - yes there are screen protectors available for iDevices, although tbh I've never used them myself.

Great, thanks for the info! I really do only ever listen to mp3's (I never watch anything on the go), and I'm sure my number of games would be limited (I still have lots of great games on my Sony Ericsson). So I'm leaning towards an 8GB/16GB 2nd/3rd generation. I'm quite excited at the prospect of playing FMH on a new (or new to me at least) platform!

I'm assuming it's possible to get transfer updates from the forums like on the PSP (I'm sure I've seen iPod updates)?

And while I remember, what is the situation with transfer updates on the iPod since the multiple league options were introduced? I know that people still do transfer updates, but what databases are they for? I know I posted in the forum recently regarding the PSP verison, and his transfer update was for the default league setup, which I believe is England and three other top divisions or something. So what would happen if I downloaded a transfer update for my iPod FMH, and selected England only (all divisions), if the transfer update was based on England plus three?

I know this is slightly off-topic, I can always ask elsewhere if required.

• SI Staff
I'm assuming it's possible to get transfer updates from the forums like on the PSP (I'm sure I've seen iPod updates)?

The iPhone game isn't manually editable at present - however traditionally we've generally released an update with the january transfers in it.

Just from personal experience, it runs at a fair pace on the 2nd Gen touch, but it's noticeably quicker on the 4th Gen. The speed difference is noticeable when processing other results/other things happening in the world when you tap on continue. It's not quick on 2nd Gen but it is nippy on 4th Gen. The other notable area is the match animation if you watch that. It's fairly crude on the 2nd gen but much smoother on 4th Gen. BTW, 3rd Gen 8GB iPod touch is the same as 2nd Gen, but the 3rd Gen with more memory are actually faster, though not as fast as 4th Gen, so if cash is tight and you spot a higher capacity 3rd Gen on the cheap, it makes a decent buy. Of course, what you really want is an iPad because it rocks on that :)

Thanks for the info. A 4th gen is way out of my league, so I'll aim for 3rd. I'll give the iPad a miss though I think. One of the reasons I want the iPod Touch is so I can play FMH on the go without it looking like I'm playing on a game console, like it is with the PSP :)

...having said that, I never considered that the highlights would be affected by whichever generation of the hardware I was using. I'll aim for 3rd Gen, 16+GB.

• SI Staff
...having said that, I never considered that the highlights would be affected by whichever generation of the hardware I was using. I'll aim for 3rd Gen, 16+GB.

The match simulation used doesn't change at all - however the smoothness of the 2d animation does to some extent, the oldest iOS devices are a little 'ragged' on the 2d display (ie. they hold a lower refresh rate (around 20-25Hz) whereas the newer ones comfortably hold above 30Hz (at which point things look nice and smooth).

Well it looks like I'm aiming for a 16GB 2nd Gen (it seems that 2nd and 3rd Gen are basically the same in terms of power), so I can only assume that the 2D match simulation on that one will be somewhere in between "ragged" and "smooth". I did have a look at some gameplay on YouTube, but unfortunately they don't tell you what generation iTouch it is.

Now I'm considering stretching a bit further (basically trading in more stuff), to possibly go for an 8GB iTouch 4th Gen (which is basically the same price as a 32GB iTouch 3rd Gen, but the 4th Gen seems so much better overall). Then of course there is the option of going all the way and getting an 8GB iPhone for the same price again (although that's a big step, because it means trading in my old phone, finding a way of transferring my sim etc). Although I'm pretty sure that that iPhone is 1st generation. So if I assume that the different generations of iTouch and iPhone are roughly equal to each other in terms of power, then does that mean that the 4th Gen iTouch would run FMH a lot better than the 1st Gen iPhone, and would be better overall in terms of features?

does that mean that the 4th Gen iTouch would run FMH a lot better than the 1st Gen iPhone, and would be better overall in terms of features?

The iPHone and iPHone 3G have a 620MHz CPU that runs at 412MHz, have only 128Mb internal memory and no video or gyroscope.

The iPod touch 4th Gen has a 1GHz CPU running at 800MHz (like the iPhone 4), 256Mb internal memory, video and stills, 3-axis gyroscope. It's a lot thinner and better made.

Unless you need an all-in-one phone, the 4th Gen iPod is the best choice in my opinion.

Thanks for that. It definitely seems like the 4th Gen iTouch is the way to go then. It seems crazy to me to have to pay all that extra money (and the iTouch/iPhone difference does seem very big generation-for-generation), just for the convenience of carrying an all-in-one gadget around (iPhone), rather than carrying two (phone and iTouch).

Can't wait! I've missed you FMH!

• SI Staff

Also worth bearing in mind that an iTouch is marginally faster than an iPhone for gaming purposes even on the same processor ... why you ask, well the iPhone always runs software 'in the background' which monitors the phone for incoming calls etc. ... thus taking up a little processing time, the iTouch doesn't have to do this.

Archived