The 'those random moments that you enjoy' thread

Has anyone recently just had a moment on the game, doesn't matter what it is, that has just made them smile. Could be something your team did, it could be something a team or player on the other side of the planet did. I'm just interested.

The moment that made me think of this was that after years of waiting a Hungarian side finally won in the best placed playoff for the Champions League. Debrecen lost 3-2 at home to Roma, but managed a gutsy 2-1 win at home to knock the Italian side out!

The other would be my greyhound of a striker Mario Moreira, the saddest looking fella scored 9 World Cup goals and the winning goal in the final to win Portugal their first World Cup! I also don't blame him for looking so sad on that wage, but don't worry, there's a new contract for him in the works!

The other day i was playing with my friend in our Germany game, i am Shalke he is Dortmund, so there is a good rivalry there. Playing him at home and he is 2-0 up at half time, i score one early in the second half, then one of my players takes a knock and goes off for treatment, as he is running back on the pitch the Dortmund keeper tries to play a short pass to the centre back and it hits my player in the back he turns and slots home the equalizer, we had to turn it off for a while after that otherwise i would have lost my laptop i think :D, i was fair chuffed tho, it saved the league!!!

This was the most epic match I ever played in Football Manager. 1st Leg Man City-Borussia Dortmund (me) 3-2. Second leg: 2 goals ruled out for Dortmund because of offside, then in the 93rd minute Podolski goes alone towards goal and is hacked behind from Milner in the box. Penalty. Nuri Sahin , who only has 53% of match fitness left, converts the penalty coolly. We are through to the semi finals of the Champions League!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrq_A6jeB20

btw. look at Podolski cheering after Sahin scores ;)

2015. Won EPL and Euro Cup with Millwall :eek:

Just before the last league game, my rival Man UTD lost and I was announced as champions. Since the last game was nothing but a formality, I put my youngsters and backup members as first 11. They beat the crap out of Liverpool 4:0 :D

The rise of Hungary is well and truly on. Ujpest may have failed in the league last year but they're tearing up teams in the Europa League!

Debrecen are holding their own in the Champions League too!

I've not very happy with my side though, I have 6 amazing strikers and another youngun who looks to have the ability to be a complete beast as well. I can't keep them all! I've decided I have to sell two of the 7... I don't know who to get rid of though!

I also have the "World's Best Keeper" and the dutch captain Pedro. He's still only 24, but on the other hand I have a beast of a young keeper Chaib. Pedro has very good command of this box and backline, but is a bit of a limited shot stopper and isn't the best with his distribution. But he is consistent, concentrated and generally does things well. Chaib is only 18, but is already a better shot stopped and pretty good with his distribution. He can position himself well and the only limited aspect he really has is his concentration. I've decided to hell with it and I've thrown him straight in the deep end and he's coping well. Pedro is tutoring him and if he can handle the Champions League latter stages this season I'll sell Pedro.

Off that aside Algeria has one of the best young squads on the planet. They have arguably the best Leftback/ midfielder (picture a better version of Gareth Bale), Rightback and now young keeper on the planet. They also have a top class 20 year old striker and one of the standout central midfielders of the generation and another leftback who'd be in the same category. I might have a crack at managing them if the chance comes up.

Before a match against Debrecen, their manager (the manager I replaced at Honvéd) declared that they would beat us today in order to show that they are capable of being the dominant team in Hungary. They had one of our former players on their side, one Junior Keita, a young left winger/ left fullback.

After 6 minutes we'd already had 7 shots. One another one of our storming runs down the right Keita on the touchline, right in the corner puts in a beastly tackle, gets up runs the length of the pitch, beating half of my players on the way before powering home a fierce shot to give Debrecen a shock lead. We went on to win 4-1, but it was a moment to remember.

Debrecen have defeated Liverpool at Anfield to go through to the round of 16 in the Champions League.

Ujpest have topped their group in the Europa League and Videoton still have a chance of going through as well!

Hungary are on the up!

Debrecen have defeated Liverpool at Anfield to go through to the round of 16 in the Champions League.

Ujpest have topped their group in the Europa League and Videoton still have a chance of going through as well!

Hungary are on the up!

Where are Hungary in the co-effs right now?

Last year i had myself and Rangers in the champs league semi finals and Hearts got to the Euro cup final, Scottish teams are on the rise again!!

Where are Hungary in the co-effs right now?

Last year i had myself and Rangers in the champs league semi finals and Hearts got to the Euro cup final, Scottish teams are on the rise again!!

As of this season we're considered the 8th best nation by coefficients (mainly thanks to my own side's performances), whilst after this year we could be as high as 7th. In terms of League this year it's ranked as:

1. English Premier League

2. Serie A

3. La Liga

4. Ligue 1 Orange

5. Bundesliga

6. Russian Premier League

7. FA Cup

8. Liga Son Sagres

9. Nemzeti Bajnoksag I (Hungary)

10. Turkist Premier League

So yeah, we're going up in the World on the back of my side, but this season is the first one that the other Hungarian sides are really getting going. Ujpest have spent upward of £15 mil in the last 3 years whilst Debrecen are around the same. Videoton are also looking good these days. Gyor just got rumbled in the Champions League this season after doing surprisingly well and coming 2nd. They got to the Group Stage as I won the Champions League, but yeah... They weren't up to it.

I'm over the moon at the moment as I just got Redditch (BSP) to the FA Cup 4th round (I'm the only team lower than League 1 still in it) after beating MK Dons (League One position 2) 2-1 in their own backyard! And we were 0-1 down by the 10th minute. Brilliant comeback, but the winning goal was easily goal of the year, a smashed, low, curling freekick from miles away. I think I woke everyone up this morning when that goal went in ^_^

Now have Watford (Championship) in the next round on my own turf, could it be? >.> ooooh.

One of my strikers who had been on a 10 hour goal drought having normally not failed to score at least every second game since I signed him broke said goal drought was a hattrick of hattricks in a 17-0 win over Gyor II in the Hungarian Cup. He and his strike partner got 10.0s!

I chastised my young Spanish winger for his mediocre performance in a league match. "You need to improve on that performance or you'll find it hard to stay in the team," I said. I expected the usual "I wasn't great, but things will improve next time" mumbo-jumbo. I got a "You're right, it was completely unacceptable and won't happen again." Impressed!

My favourite moments are usually when my players say "it's all thanks to you, boss." I have a 23 year old Brazilian megastar who, every time he wins an award, never fails to thank his manager (me) for giving him the confidence and self-belief. It's fantastic; the sort of thing that guarantees he's a player I'll never consider selling.

First season with Albion Rovers on the Scottish Third Division, i have 76 points and Annan Athletic are second with 75 points on the last matchday, i'm playing at home i only depend on myself to win the title and guarantee promotion, all pressure is on me to suceed..

I lost 0-1 and completly bottled it though i still managed to scrap a promotion on the play-off so i was happy despite the massive bottling job.

Fast forward to the final months of the next season when i'm leading the league with only 3 games to go despite having a massive injury crisis but i still somehow manage to bottle it again and end up again on the play-off, i win the semi-final and i'm playing against Livingston from the upper tier on the final.

Now at this point my squad is completly knackered physically and i have a lot of injuries so i go and play the first leg away on Livingston and lose 3-1, so we go to the second leg where i'm not really that confident and even concede on the first minutes of the game.. so it looks pretty much settled..

But my team somehow manages an heroic comeback to make the game 3-1 for us we go through overtime and take the game to penalties.. they even miss their first penalty but... they end up winning the shootout it was quite a gutting moment but i was so really happy with how the team somehow managed against all odds to make that comeback!

Okay, so it's FM10 and I'm about 7-8 games into my first season of my Brighton save.

We've been playing alright, in the top half, when we meet Colchester, who are a couple of places below us.

Now I was expecting just another scrappy League One match, but my Brighton team weren't having any of it. They knocked one in after about 30 seconds and the next 40 minutes were free flowing, attacking football, which saw us 5-0 up. Unsurprisingly I was delighted, and despite the fact Colchester grabbed a late consolation in first half stoppage time, I was still delighted with the boys. I told them I was 'pleased' at half time, which whenever I use it (I suck at team talks) seems to translate as 'do whatever you want in the second half'.

So Colchester came at us right from the start of the second half, and I sat there helplessly as the scoreline went 5-2, 5-3, 5-4, 5-5 until Colchester took a 6-5 lead in the 80th minute. Out of anger, I took of a CB and brought on another striker, and went to 'Overload'. We got one back in the 88th minute, which took the game to a respectable 6-6 draw.

Or so I thought, until the beautiful person that is Febian Brandy drove through the Colchester defence for one more time, before firing a 20 yard shot past the keeper.

An absolute rollercoaster, which is what I think FM is all about.

The game which increased my club value four times.

I managed to qualify for the CL group stages in the 2015/16 season with a Hungarian team originally in the third tier. After two successive promotions, then two second places, we won the league. We knocked out Sheriff and Zeljeznicar in the qualifiers, and the club's value was about 1 million. Then came Kobenhavn, whom we beat 4-2 at home, so we had a realistic chance. I pretty much had to throw away the league game before the second leg, but it was worth it, as we scraped a 0-0 draw, and presto, our value went up to 4M.

It's actually 5M now because we somehow also beat Lokomotiv Moscow in the first group stage game in front of a capacity crowd of 776 :D

Yes, I've downloaded an extended league file with the third division leagues. My team is Pénzügyőr.

Nice one! I usually play down to the third division. I don't suppose you know anybody who's tried activating the county divisions below it?

(Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not continue the threadjack.)

Nice one! I usually play down to the third division. I don't suppose you know anybody who's tried activating the county divisions below it?

If it's about the Hungarian Leagues, thread jack away!

Poor Haladas... They have been completely mauled by the league this season. For some reason, whilst the rest of the league are spending as the quality is shooting up they've stayed exactly the same. As such they are dead bottom with daylight between them and safety. They haven't even looked like relegation candidates yet in this save.

To compound matters they have us in the Magyarkupa, their last bit of joy in the season. Over two legs of course. I felt like being easy on them, but Claverie didn't like that idea and after 30 scoreless minutes banged in a hattrick, added an assist and scored another just for emphasis as it went from 0-0 to 6-0 in a matter of minutes...

Of course, he didn't feel like giving up then. Oh no, he just had to win a corner which we scored from and then of course powered home a 40 yard strike just to make sure that they didn't even think about having hope at their home next week. Is he done yet... Apparently not, from a throw in of all things he got a head to it, the keeper was already going under him and though he got a touch it dribbled in! He then beat the entire defence, got one on one with the keeper then calmly passed it to Moreira to finish off.

So it finishes Honvéd 10 - 0 Haladas with the second leg to come. Claverie bagged 6 goals, 2 assists and a 10.0. The team averaged 8.90! It was even until about the 30 minute mark!

Also, I typed that as it went

In other news Ujpest thrashed Lokomotiv 4-1 in the second leg of their Europa League first knockout round encounter after drawing 1-1 away. I watched the match and I can honestly say I'm stunned. Lokomotiv's entire squad was disinterested!

The third division was as low as I could find, unfortunately.

I never actually noticed this before but the Hungarian second tier leagues are now rated as 29th and 30th in Europe! That's two and a half stars as well. That's a whole star better than the top league started off! Wow!

I finally got around to fixing Videoton's name and badge as well.

How are you finding Hungary Bandi?

Oh wow! Ujpest are beasting...

...uh... Well, not really. They drew 0-0 at home against Leeds in the round of 16 of the Europa league and today drew 2-2 away to win on away goals. They got a late goal... an own goal! Ujpest are through to the quarter finals!

I personally loved the moment when i beat Real Madrid 4-0 at home (I'm Sevilla) and Mourinho came out and told me we would be better if we stopped trying to walk the ball into the net.......

I'm pretty sure i just horsed you 4-0 Jose?

I never actually noticed this before but the Hungarian second tier leagues are now rated as 29th and 30th in Europe! That's two and a half stars as well. That's a whole star better than the top league started off! Wow!

I finally got around to fixing Videoton's name and badge as well.

How are you finding Hungary Bandi?

I managed Haladás at first, it was great for a while, but I gave up in 2029 due to sheer boredom. We were on a 212 game unbeaten streak in the league, and we had won 8 of the last 11 CL finals (and lost two). So I left shortly after they built a stadium named after me.

Now I'm trying again with Pénzügyőr :D

How far have you got?

Do you ever have those games where you know your opponent cares more about not losing than not winning? I had one of those last night against spurs.

Simon Grayson, spurs boss, decided to do his best Mourinho impression. This is pretty much how spurs defended the entire match:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7109/spurs1.png

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/4188/spursr.png

To my frustration, it worked......until the 89th minute. My captain grabbed 2 goals in the last 3 minutes of the match and I showed the spurs boss why my side is 1st and his is 13th. Tottenham ended the match with 0 shots.

As crushing as a last second loss can feel, man it feels great come away with a last second victory. Especially when your opponent did everything they could to stop you from winning (even if it meant that they themselves would not attack whatsoever).

My favourite ever came in a previous version of the game (07, I think). An end of season 6 pointer. After 7 minutes, one of my opponents went in two-footed, and was shown a red card. One of his team-mates immediately punched the player who had just been fouled, and followed him to the dressing room. Ten minutes later, a third opponent picked up his second yellow, and they were down to 8 men. The match commentary informed me that the opposition "are in danger of losing their discipline".

I managed Haladás at first, it was great for a while, but I gave up in 2029 due to sheer boredom. We were on a 212 game unbeaten streak in the league, and we had won 8 of the last 11 CL finals (and lost two). So I left shortly after they built a stadium named after me.

Now I'm trying again with Pénzügyőr :D

How far have you got?

Not that far yet. How good was the league by then?

Not that far yet. How good was the league by then?

3,5 stars, Debrecen and Győr were regulars in the CL group stages, and some others like Pápa, Honvéd, even Mosonmagyaróvár and Komló got to the Europa League group stages a couple of times. Some good players in the league, and some amazing ones mostly on loan from England.

The national team is slowly getting better too, and I managed to get them to the 2032 EC. One of my own Haladás youth products was the top scorer there, and another was supposed to go to Barcelona for 20 million, but he turned down their contract :)

3,5 stars, Debrecen and Győr were regulars in the CL group stages, and some others like Pápa, Honvéd, even Mosonmagyaróvár and Komló got to the Europa League group stages a couple of times. Some good players in the league, and some amazing ones mostly on loan from England.

The national team is slowly getting better too, and I managed to get them to the 2032 EC. One of my own Haladás youth products was the top scorer there, and another was supposed to go to Barcelona for 20 million, but he turned down their contract :)

Did you have to increase your youth recruitment quality to get those youngsters. I've got mine as high as its allowing it at the moment and my youth products are rubbish!

Did you have to increase your youth recruitment quality to get those youngsters. I've got mine as high as its allowing it at the moment and my youth products are rubbish!

It's above average and I think it was improved twice. I got a decent player after the first improvement and two great ones after the second. Youth recruitment is a pain to develop though, we used to be the top ranked, third richest team in Europe with average youth recruitment. I've heard it depends on your reputation, but if we can sign the very best players in the world, we should also be able to find some good youngsters.

It's above average and I think it was improved twice. I got a decent player after the first improvement and two great ones after the second. Youth recruitment is a pain to develop though, we used to be the top ranked, third richest team in Europe with average youth recruitment. I've heard it depends on your reputation, but if we can sign the very best players in the world, we should also be able to find some good youngsters.

Actually, that is something I've noticed. My Honvéd side are considered one of the best sides on the planet now (Worldwide Repuation) however my board can't improve my training facilities anymore (despite them still only being Top rather than state of the art) and my youth recruitment only being just above average. I don't have the option to improve either as it stands, any idea what it takes for me to be able to improve this further?

• 2 months later...

Having started a new game in Norway my side Stromsgodset have stormed to the title on the back of the form of my left winger who piled up around 30 assists. Despite having the title wrapped up, on the second to last day of the season away to under performing Rosenborg they were favourites... and won... having only had 3 shots to my side's 24.

In FM11, would have to be the 2017 League 1 Playoff Final, Gloucester City v Leyton Orient. 1-1 after 90 minutes (Gloucester slightly better but give up a very soft equaliser), club captain Owain Tudur-Jones comes on and scores with his first touch in extra time, only to come off injured three minutes later. Orient equalise again on the stroke of half time in extra time; same player, same soft header. Finally Gloucester sweep forward on the counter in the 118th minute, ball's held up, five Orient defenders back... and DJ Campbell, substituting on the left wing, swings it past all of them for our star regen right winger to tuck it into an unguarded far post from all of five yards. 3-2, Championship here we come...

I have a specific player that I have a vested interest in. Florian Thiery is his name. I bought him at the age of 16 when my scouts told me that he would be come a leading star in the premier league so I brought him into the team. He was actually good enough to make a few first team appearances in his first year. It is now 5 later and he is one of the best players in the world. The most consistent player I have by far and chips in with some great goals when needed. Mainly though he is like an Iniesta doesn't always have the best looking stats but controls the game.

Archived