A Convention?

I raised it as a joke in another thread, but I wonder what kind of turnout there would be for a Football Manager convention. There could be sessions with the SI guys addressing development issues, forums on tactics (featured speaker - wwfan!), a Handheld tournament - the possibilities are endless.

I raised it as a joke in another thread, but I wonder what kind of turnout there would be for a Football Manager convention. There could be sessions with the SI guys addressing development issues, forums on tactics (featured speaker - wwfan!), a Handheld tournament - the possibilities are endless.

Plus a 32-real-players online World Cup, with the matches shown on the big-screen in Auditorium 1... icon_wink.gif

I'd be intrigued, work permitting.

I've also been thinking of doing a mini FM-tour, coming to England and traveling around to hook up with some of my favourite posters and catch their local team's home match. Just 'cause I think that would be too fun!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flipstyle:

The LLMers would harass everyone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, they wouldn't even talk to the impurists icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

They should sell t-shirts with the words "it's your tactics" emblazoned across the front!

Come to think of it, they should just do that through the website. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a great idea! Could also have slogans like "It's so unrealistic!" or "When's the patch out?" on them lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fluffy_sheep2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

They should sell t-shirts with the words "it's your tactics" emblazoned across the front!

Come to think of it, they should just do that through the website. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a great idea! Could also have slogans like "It's so unrealistic!" or "When's the patch out?" on them lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about, "I'm a superkeeper!"?

I would so buy one of them, only one of my mates would get the in-joke, but it would work great in so many social situations.

Mate A: Why can't i get served at the bar?

Me: *points at the t-shirt*

mate B: I can't believe I never got to 2nd base with that girl.

Me: *points at the T-shirt*

Oh, the seconds of fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Lambs:

I would so buy one of them, only one of my mates would get the in-joke, but it would work great in so many social situations.

Mate A: Why can't i get served at the bar?

Me: *points at the t-shirt*

mate B: I can't believe I never got to 2nd base with that girl.

Me: *points at the T-shirt*

Oh, the seconds of fun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fluffy_sheep2:

That's a great idea! Could also have slogans like "It's so unrealistic!" or "When's the patch out?" on them lol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about, "I'm a superkeeper!"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"I survived OTF!"

"Good players don't need the Good Players Forum"

"I'm an LLMer, and I'm not only proud of that, I'm smug about it!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

We could also have Daaaaave moderate a politcal forum. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The words 'Daaaaave' and 'moderate' are mutually exclusive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glyn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

We could also have Daaaaave moderate a politcal forum. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The words 'Daaaaave' and 'moderate' are mutually exclusive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! That would be the fun of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

This is sounding better and better.

When's pre-reg open, gunnerfan? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no...

I'm just the "idea" guy! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm just the "idea" guy! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You tease! icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

That's a shame as I've just booked Earls Court* under your name.

Still, I'm sure that you'll get your deposit back...

Although the thought of a FM convention scares the heck out of me (although the CM one could probably be held in a phone box) the idea of a FML 'LAN party' arrangement would definitely have legs.

*As you're located in America, feel free to swap Earls Court for MSG...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leftback in the changing room:

That's a shame as I've just booked Earls Court* under your name.

Still, I'm sure that you'll get your deposit back...

Although the thought of a FM convention scares the heck out of me (although the CM one could probably be held in a phone box) the idea of a FML 'LAN party' arrangement would definitely have legs.

*As you're located in America, feel free to swap Earls Court for MSG... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we have it in New York, I would suggest the Javits Center over MSG. Cheaper and more suitable to conventions. Also closer to the NYPD, should the OTF group become overheated. icon_biggrin.gif

Naturally, there would have to be a separate location for the OTF crowd. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have our own meet ups anyway icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On second thoughts, scrap the convention </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And pass up the opportunity to have wwfan, cleon and rashid1 conduct a session on tactics??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skintsaint:

Only if I could be the Left Centre back who gets a hattrick...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> or corners. only if I get to be the goalie who rushes up for the corner when we're 3-0 up icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

or corners. only if I get to be the goalie who rushes up for the corner when we're 3-0 up icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, that brings back memories: an "indoor soccer" team which I played on one year went 1-0-13: the one was "win by forfeit" because the other team didn't show up.

I played more than half the team's minutes in goal, and led the team in scoring.

I still remember the look on my centre-half's face when I'd come up past him (at the midfield stripe) while we were in possession.. this sort of horrified "Are you MAD?" look ..

LMAO... icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

or corners. only if I get to be the goalie who rushes up for the corner when we're 3-0 up icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, that brings back memories: an "indoor soccer" team which I played on one year went 1-0-13: the one was "win by forfeit" because the other team didn't show up.

I played more than half the team's minutes in goal, and led the team in scoring.

I still remember the look on my centre-half's face when I'd come up past him (at the midfield stripe) while we were in possession.. this sort of horrified "Are you MAD?" look ..

LMAO... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was actually referring to the FM ME bug, but rush goalies, jumpers for goalposts, Ron Manager ... icon_cool.gif

Oh, I know you were.

I just feel for my poor manager at the time, who probably had no idea what to do with me. Since he never complained about it - and it did result in more goals-for than goals-against, and our offense was totally anemic ..

.. now I sort of imagine it as "GK: Creative Freedom = 20".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rashidi1:

If there is going to be a convention...it needs to be in a sunny place where girls wear bikini's icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're back to my gaff in Cambodia then. icon_cool.gif

No bikinis but plenty nightlife - and man are the gals gorgeous. Not that I notice, being an FM addict of course icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ahh, that brings back memories: an "indoor soccer" team which I played on one year went 1-0-13: the one was "win by forfeit" because the other team didn't show up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like the youth travel team I coached.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just feel for my poor manager at the time, who probably had no idea what to do with me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trust me, I know how he felt. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rashidi1:

If there is going to be a convention...it needs to be in a sunny place where girls wear bikini's icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(just trying to picture my wife's weapon of choice when I tell her...)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd be intrigued, work permitting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We could loan you out to poland for a few years to sort that problem out..

We need to start a signup or something for this icon_smile.gif

I'll be the one in the 'It's A Bug' T-shirt..

Archived