Older Players Contracts

I'm playing as Man Utd in 2012 and my main CB Rio Ferdinand is 33 and declining at a fair pace (thats not the problem). I want to keep him as a backup defender with a view to becoming a coach for my team. His contract is due to end 2013 so I decide to offer him a new deal..

He wants £110,000 a week for another 2 years!!! My point is that surely as a player gets older and their ability declines they should be more willing to take a wage cut to stay at the club- I never had this problem in FM 2010 and FM 2009. Is this just me or are other players having this problem. Its just not viable to keep 33 Year Old Rio on £110,000 a week.

They are willing to take a wage cut, provided they feel like a back up. Have you still being playing him regularly? Is he good enough to be a top 4 club defender? If the answer to either of them is yes, then he will be less willing to take a cut.

Also, it might help to wait until there is less time on his contract, and make sure you set back-up as his squad status. Asking him to become a player coach usually helps as well as it prompts him sacking his agent.

try lowering his squad status, he will know what you expect of him them. if he's still playing a considerable amount of games for you, he will not expect a pay cut, as 33 is not old.

Yeah, he could have at least 3 more seasons maybe. Look at Puyol, Maldini, Nesta..

The longer you wait to renew his contract, the less he'll ask for to stay.

I don't offer old players new contracts until the week before their deal expires, or if another club offers first.

Also if he hasn't got staff arritbute yet then in interaction tell him you think he make a good coach as this sometimes helps them get that and you can then see what attributes as a coach will be before he retires.

Archived