Carry over save game to FM12 feature?

Guest ajdavies

Guest ajdavies

Surely this is the one feature that loyal FM fans will want to see most?

FM12 should just come with a small program which will convert your FM11 save game to FM12 format so that you can continue your game and still enjoy the new features.

I'm still not sure why this hasnt been implemented already. Surely a lot of the data variables etc in FM11 will be indentical in FM12 and any new attributes could be randomised or filled in using existing data as a guide.

I'm sure it would require a lot of processing time but I would happily leave my computer on overnight to sort through all the data.

Im sure that SI miss out on quite a few sales of the new versions becuase some people are still engrossed in a single save game on the previous version.

I'm sure that a more tech savvy member or an SI employee will explain why this couldnt work, but if it had been incorporated from the start i'd still be playing my CM2 save game! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Marc Vaughan commented on this on another forum. The gist of it was that it's not a very highly requested feature. Most people want to see the latest players with the latest teams. Secondly, it would be difficult to manage the expectations. By that I mean if it's an SI feature, people would expect a perfectly smooth transition which would be very difficult -- especially if you had to add a new attribute to a player. You can imagine how many "my striker was scoring in buckets before the conversion, now he's crap" threads you'd get.

Personally, I'd think it would be relatively easy for a third party to create an app to do it -- at least convert enough of the saved file to continue in the new version. Maybe your tactics or training would have to be recreated in the new save, or you can only convert in the offseason, or some other restrictions. Plus, a third party wouldn't have to worry too much about customer's expectations. The worst they'd get is a "dood, ur thing is borked, lolz!".

Having said that, there must be even less interest in it than I think. Otherwise, a third party would have created the app by now...

i would imagine they would encounter problems getting the database to work with the new features, things like private chats and stuff will have codes tied into the player personalities which generate reactions, things that prob were not in the previous version, so getting them to work properly with the new engine with the old database would prob be difficult.

i would imagine they would encounter problems getting the database to work with the new features, things like private chats and stuff will have codes tied into the player personalities which generate reactions, things that prob were not in the previous version, so getting them to work properly with the new engine with the old database would prob be difficult.

Good point. That's the stuff that SI would have to get right but a third party could just kludge together. With a third party converter, you shouldn't expect 100% fidelity. After conversion by a third party converter, players who were mad at you may no longer be mad, mentors may have lost their mentees, contract offers under consideration may be forgotten, etc. That's the kind of stuff I think many people would accept from a third party app but not from SI.

Would be a great feature. If implemented I could actually reach 70 years old on the game. Would be very difficult though imo to achieve, but who knows in the future with the technological advances

Good point. That's the stuff that SI would have to get right but a third party could just kludge together. With a third party converter, you shouldn't expect 100% fidelity. After conversion by a third party converter, players who were mad at you may no longer be mad, mentors may have lost their mentees, contract offers under consideration may be forgotten, etc. That's the kind of stuff I think many people would accept from a third party app but not from SI.

but if the new features did not work then what would be the point playing an old game on the new version? You would be just as well sticking with the older version.

I would personally love to transfer some FM09 and 10 saves onto FM11 and carry them on, but if it didnt work like FM11 it would be pointless for me.

Based on the current update and release model, I think this would not be a wise feature to support officially, despite all the hard efforts we usually have to wait till X.2 patch will we get a decent bug free'ish game.

but if the new features did not work then what would be the point playing an old game on the new version? You would be just as well sticking with the older version.

I would personally love to transfer some FM09 and 10 saves onto FM11 and carry them on, but if it didnt work like FM11 it would be pointless for me.

I'm not saying features wouldn't work. I'm saying that likely many things would be reset or randomized in the conversion process. It's not like your players will never get mad at you, it's just that they forgot about the latest wage decrease you just demanded, for example. Or, if there was a new stat called, "misses-open-netters" in FM12. The converter would have to guesstimate your player's new misses-open-netters value. So, the players in FM11 that were afflicted with this terrible disease may be more or less afflicted in the new version. They're not entirely new players -- they still have the same pace and heading and free kick ratings and everything else -- they just are a little bit jostled after the conversion.

Based on the current update and release model, I think this would not be a wise feature to support officially, despite all the hard efforts we usually have to wait till X.2 patch will we get a decent bug free'ish game.

I agree. I do not buy this game until the third patch is out every year.

I think it would probably take about that long for an outside programmer to delve into the FM12 saved game and create a converter. We wouldn't get a converter at the initial release anyway, at least if an outside guy does it and it seems clear that SI isn't really interested in doing an official converter.

I agree. I do not buy this game until the third patch is out every year.

I completely agree with your purchasing policy, however, I am a sucker for buying it on release day and hoping it will work straight out of the box on day 1......I am sure it did on FM2007??

I completely agree with your purchasing policy, however, I am a sucker for buying it on release day and hoping it will work straight out of the box on day 1......I am sure it did on FM2007??

7.0.0 had some issues, too many red cards, Wayne Rooney suspended forever, and Mohammed Sissoko being a master goalscorer. The game only needed 2 patches though.

Archived